GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Be Nasty and Horrible"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 08/11/00 at 23:15
Regular
Wouldn't it be great to have a decent RPG or something where you can be a bad guy ?
I mean lets face it, there are some hard man style good guys, but its not often you get to be a nasty little sod and wreck lives rather than save them ;-))
I remember when i used to play Zelda on the NES, occasionally my little nasty streak would take over and i'd try to steal from the shops or beat up the shop keeper - only to find that the git was invincible and would proceed to beat the living hell outta me. I was left thinking "and they sent ME in to fight Ganon ??" I'm telling you, they should sent the shopkeeper, the guy was unbeatable ! Then anyone who played Zelda on the SNES may remember exactly what happened when you tried to maliciously kill a chicken - it was yet another invincible creature and of course you got your reply with a swarm feathered foul trying to peck your eyes out !
I think the closest we've really had to being a real nasty bad guy is Command and Conquer. But overall it wasn't a full bad guy experience, you didn't particularly go around doing anything more obnoxious than the good guys. If not for the FMV, you wouldn't have particularly known you was some evil force. The only bad thing you could do was destroy a land mark of your choice at the end and follow up by putting your small finger against your mouth with that little Dr Evil laugh.
Black and White seems to have potential for players to be nasty but i guess we'll have to wait and see. But personally I don't wanna always be Savatt - a little saint fighting off the forces of evil with a perfect glint to my teeth, i wanna be Savatt - scourge of villagers and the nightmare of small children everywhere !
I guess i sound like a potential murderer now ;-p
But it would be interesting to have the option in games such as RPG's to walk through a village and leave a trail of destruction and chaos, rather than politely asking the locals where the village beverage establishment is !
I don't wanna walk around for ages saving money for weapons, i wanna walk into that shop and b****y well take them ! If that damn shopkeeper wants to pick a fight with me for trying i wanna be able to knock his block off ! If i wanna pick on a stupid chicken, i'll pick on a stupid chicken - without having half the bird population dive bombing my head !
Its about time after all these years and with all these console advances that we have these kind of options in certain games.
Theres just certain times that people switch on their console and they don't particularly wanna be Peter Perfect.... Well, at least not me anyway.... ;-p
Wed 08/11/00 at 23:15
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Wouldn't it be great to have a decent RPG or something where you can be a bad guy ?
I mean lets face it, there are some hard man style good guys, but its not often you get to be a nasty little sod and wreck lives rather than save them ;-))
I remember when i used to play Zelda on the NES, occasionally my little nasty streak would take over and i'd try to steal from the shops or beat up the shop keeper - only to find that the git was invincible and would proceed to beat the living hell outta me. I was left thinking "and they sent ME in to fight Ganon ??" I'm telling you, they should sent the shopkeeper, the guy was unbeatable ! Then anyone who played Zelda on the SNES may remember exactly what happened when you tried to maliciously kill a chicken - it was yet another invincible creature and of course you got your reply with a swarm feathered foul trying to peck your eyes out !
I think the closest we've really had to being a real nasty bad guy is Command and Conquer. But overall it wasn't a full bad guy experience, you didn't particularly go around doing anything more obnoxious than the good guys. If not for the FMV, you wouldn't have particularly known you was some evil force. The only bad thing you could do was destroy a land mark of your choice at the end and follow up by putting your small finger against your mouth with that little Dr Evil laugh.
Black and White seems to have potential for players to be nasty but i guess we'll have to wait and see. But personally I don't wanna always be Savatt - a little saint fighting off the forces of evil with a perfect glint to my teeth, i wanna be Savatt - scourge of villagers and the nightmare of small children everywhere !
I guess i sound like a potential murderer now ;-p
But it would be interesting to have the option in games such as RPG's to walk through a village and leave a trail of destruction and chaos, rather than politely asking the locals where the village beverage establishment is !
I don't wanna walk around for ages saving money for weapons, i wanna walk into that shop and b****y well take them ! If that damn shopkeeper wants to pick a fight with me for trying i wanna be able to knock his block off ! If i wanna pick on a stupid chicken, i'll pick on a stupid chicken - without having half the bird population dive bombing my head !
Its about time after all these years and with all these console advances that we have these kind of options in certain games.
Theres just certain times that people switch on their console and they don't particularly wanna be Peter Perfect.... Well, at least not me anyway.... ;-p
Thu 09/11/00 at 08:20
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
Didn't you ever play Dungeon Keeper on the PC? You were the bad guy in that - it ruled!

You could take control of your minions and personally deal with the hero yourself hehe..:)

Bleed(ers)
Thu 09/11/00 at 12:56
"possibly impossible"
It would be more ideal in games to choose your destiny, rather than being typecast as the good or bad guy. To some extent some games already do this, Deus Ex is a good example, but it could be taken further.

The general idea behind this is to make games taylored to individuals, change your character's looks (like Quake 3 et al), change their status (RPG type elements) and control their reaction to good and evil. To do this would mean doing away with FMV and concentrating solely on game graphics as the story would change with every reaction the player has. The only way I could see this happening at the moment is to do it online. There would be someone updating the story while everyone else played characters in it, I know it's similar to a traditional RPG but it wouldn't have any of the complicated stats associated with that genre.

The more flexible a game engine gets, the better the game will be and the longer it will last. I'd love to see a game where you could completely define your own character and play online, you may find yourself playing against a Lara Croft lookalike that loves decapitation, or a goblin that likes helping people. Weird, but fun.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.