GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Games should become more physical"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 08/11/00 at 12:53
Regular
I think that games should become more physically challenging. I'm not talking a minor sweat on your fingers here, I mean a major drenching with things stuck on your wrists and connected to your brain. Completing a game should feel like an accomplishment rather than something that you can do all the time. It would also give you a good exercise instead of just sitting on front of a screen twiddling your fingers.

Take for instance my local gym. I've only been there once and that was years ago, but, they had a rowing machine with a monitor in front of it and the idea was to escape from a shark (I never did it and got eaten). The point is not to laugh at my feebleness, but that the game was fun and I'd do it again.

The down side to this idea though, is the cost of all these extra peripherals. Maybe one day someone will setup a game/gym hybrid where it is fun to become butch. It could cater for any sport, just imagine Daley Thompson's Olympic Challenge, but just for you (you'd feel so special).

Anyway make your own mind up, I've done enough thinking today. Now back to twiddling something more than just my fingers.....
Wed 08/11/00 at 12:53
I think that games should become more physically challenging. I'm not talking a minor sweat on your fingers here, I mean a major drenching with things stuck on your wrists and connected to your brain. Completing a game should feel like an accomplishment rather than something that you can do all the time. It would also give you a good exercise instead of just sitting on front of a screen twiddling your fingers.

Take for instance my local gym. I've only been there once and that was years ago, but, they had a rowing machine with a monitor in front of it and the idea was to escape from a shark (I never did it and got eaten). The point is not to laugh at my feebleness, but that the game was fun and I'd do it again.

The down side to this idea though, is the cost of all these extra peripherals. Maybe one day someone will setup a game/gym hybrid where it is fun to become butch. It could cater for any sport, just imagine Daley Thompson's Olympic Challenge, but just for you (you'd feel so special).

Anyway make your own mind up, I've done enough thinking today. Now back to twiddling something more than just my fingers.....
Wed 08/11/00 at 18:57
They could make games more physical but then less people would play them, as they take enough effort already. Alternatively, they could make consoles more rugged, then we could throw them against the wall when we lose a game. That's enough exercise for anyone!

Disclaimer: Exercise is good for you kids, it lowers your chances of getting a heart attack and allows you to wear embarrasing shorts and get really sweaty and smelly...oops, perhaps it isn't so good after all!
Wed 08/11/00 at 19:00
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
Do you mean having running races on your console but instead of controllers you use tredmils/excercise bikes/rowing machines! sounds cool, this was thought of about 10 years ago but they thought of useing boxing gloves and shin pads, that kind of thing, but I don't see how they could make fire balls come from their hands and thunder bolts from their ariss! bad quote from 'braveheart'.
Wed 08/11/00 at 22:04
Regular
"I like cheese"
Yeah, but then fat, lazy, self-centred, bald-headed poofs wouldn't play games, and the companies would loose money.
No offence to any fat, lazy, self-centred, bald-headed or poofie poofs. {:)
Wed 08/11/00 at 22:25
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
These kind of games already exist in the arcade. That horse racing game is such a laugh - knackers you out though ! Also played a game where you have to row as fast as you can too. Although those games can be fun, i don't know too many people that could fit these same sort of devices into their rooms. It'd be a very limited number of people buying them.
Wed 08/11/00 at 22:31
Regular
Maybe not but i remember watching a episode of Futurama once, which had a cool virtual world in which they could play in, plus it was fully interactive, so it allowed them to do whatever they wanted.

But then will we see this kind of thing happening, otherwise i can't see games getting any more physical than it is now.
Still games are very physical, like button bashers and spending a few hours on a game.

Only then the only virtual reality kind of game will be a virtual football game and maybe a flight combat game and they are no near reality. I wouldn't like to fight Mike Tyson and find my ears been bitten off.
But no they cannot get more physical, like everyone says it will stop people buying games altogether!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.