GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Was I Mad For It?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 06/07/02 at 13:55
Regular
Well, as a few of you know, I went to see Oasis live yesterday at Finsbury Park. It had all the hallmarks of a great day, but did it deliver? Here’s the story of my day.

The coach that we were catching left from my local bus station at 7, so I had to be up for about ten to six, which I weren’t too happy about, but I knew it would be worth it. Boarded the coach without a problem and I was on my merry way to London. It took us about four hours to get there, so we arrived around 11 at some tube station I can’t remember. From here, we went to Camden Town.

Camden Town, what a place. I’m sure a few off you have been there before so you’ll know how good it is. Market stalls everywhere, selling stuff from cool clothes to bootlegs. If we didn’t have tickets for an Oasis gig, I wouldn’t have wanted to leave this place. We spent about 2 hours here, and imagine my delight when we was walking towards a bootleg stand and I could hear an acoustic Counting Crows – Omaha being pumped out of this quality sound system. It ruled, so I bought the CD.

When we got back to the tube station, we headed to Finsbury Park via Euston. Normally, nearly every trip I’ve been on, there has been a screw up, but not this. We transferred and got to Finsbury Park without a problem. On arrival, we headed straight for the park and went in, this was at about 2. We knew we had a wait on our hands, because only 3 bands were down to play, but we didn’t care, we were going to see Oasis. We took up our positions about 30 people from the front, slap bang in the middle, I was made up at where we got. Sat down with my mates and got a few drinks in. This ruled, just talking to my mates under the Sun, you can’t beat it.

We had been talking for about 30 minutes, when this bloke came onto the stage and started yelling at us. I thought, it was a bit early for the Black Rebel Motorcycle Club to come on, but he was to say something that was brilliant. “The Coral, Proud Mary, Soundtrack of Our Lives, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, The Charlatans and the reason why we are all here, Oasis will be playing today!” I came expecting to see three bands, but really, I was going to see six bands. Soon after, The Coral came on to the stage and started banging out a few tunes. They were alright, the songs sounded the same though, good band mind.

After these departed, anarchy broke out. The plastic bottles started being hurtled around. What an experience. No one cared, everyone was just having a great laugh, and it was brilliant. My mate got hit on the back of the head, he was OK after a few minutes though, it was something he laughed about earlier, so it was cool.

Then, about five minutes after The Coral came on, Proud Mary appeared. What a good band. Never heard of them before, but all the songs they played, you could jump around to. They only played about five though, which was disappointing, unlike the next band. Soundtrack Of Our Lives, apparent Sweden’s best kept secret. The first song was quite good, nothing special though, but it had potential. Then they played about 9 more complete crap songs. They got booed off stage and rightly so.

Now it got good. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club. Never heard anything by them before, but my mate assured me that they were absolutely brilliant. Came on, and started a really good song, “Red Eyes and Tears” I think. The crowd were quite subdued until these came on, but when they did, it got them going. It was a good song to open to, but the next one completely rocked. I think it was called “Fever”, not sure though. It was a proud moment for us as well, because we started a little mosh pit. It was one of those songs that you could jump along to, so all my mates and me did and everyone jumped on the bandwagon. It was class. They played a few more songs and then departed to a wonderful reception.

Next was The Charlatans. I think I was looking forward to these nearly as much as Oasis. There were about eight songs that I would have loved them to play, but I would have been over the moon if they had played only three of them. To my amazement, they played nearly all of them. The set list was, Just Lookin’, One To Another, Love Is The Key, You’re So Pretty – We’re So Pretty, A Man Needs To Be Told, Weirdo, The Only One I Know and North Country Boy. If you haven’t heard any of them, I urge you to download them. They sound class recorded, but live, they are something else. It’s a great feeling singing along to the band, and then when Tim Burgess (I think that’s his name) got a harmonica out, it was one of the greatest moments of my life, that’s how good it was. Everything they played, the crowd had some of it, and it was magnificent. I didn’t want them to leave, but knew that Oasis were coming up soon. The Charlatans did not disappoint at all, they ruled.

At this point, it had been raining on and off for about an hour, but just before Oasis came out, the heavens opened up and it really tipped it down. No one cared though, everyone was too busy having a great time, it’s hard to explain. I thought everyone would be annoyed at the rain, it seemed to make the whole experience better though, I was soaked and I didn’t care. The rain stopped just before Oasis came out, then there was loads and loads of steam coming off everybody’s heads, which just added to an already fantastic experience.

Liam appeared first, and there was a surge forward. I found my self a bit to the side, but about 10 people from the front. It was amazing where we were. The rest of the band appeared and they broke straight into, “Hello”. What a class song this is. The crowd were in full voice and everyone was being thrown around everywhere. After this song, Noel said, “you know, if anyone gets pushed over, pick them back up will you?” This got an enormous cheer, but I suppose at this point, he could of told us to get lost and we would have still gone ballistic. I can’t remember the order of the set list, but these are the songs they played.

Hello, Morning Glory, Live Forever, Cigarettes and Alcohol, Some Might Say, Little by Little, Born On a Different Cloud, D’You Know What I Mean, Go Let It Out, Better Man, Don’t Look Back in Anger, Hung in a Bad Place, She’s Electric(!), Stop Crying Your Heart Out, Force Of Nature and then the finale was My Generation, dedicated to the man from The Who, who passed away about a week ago. I can’t remember what it was called, but if I died and they played this, I’d be happy.

All the songs were fantastic except Better Man. I’ve never been a big fan off this, but it was alright. Noel said, “he thinks you aren’t having this, but here is a song I never thought 50,000 people would be jumping around to” and then he started the intro to She’s Electric. Absolutely amazing. The crowd were going wild, I was being thrown around everywhere, I didn’t mind though, I was too busy singing along and it was during this song that I first went on my mate’s shoulders. Probably the best experience of my life. I was close, so I could see Noel brilliantly, then I turned round and all I could see was people. It made me quite appreciative of where we got, because there were people quite far away. I did this whenever I could.

I got on my mates shoulders as well to sing and applaud Stop Crying Your Heart Out. I was there clapping, and a few photographers came on and took pictures in my direction, so if they do a There and Then type of video/DVD, then I might be on the cover of it :D. They tried to get me crowd surfing, but I was having none of it. I might have done if I didn’t have my CD, wallet and phone to look after, but never mind.

Highlights of the set were probably Live Forever, Stop Crying Your Heart Out and Don’t Look Back In Anger. All three are songs that I would have loved them to play and when they did, it was pure ecstasy. The crowd bouncing around and singing and me right in the middle of it, pure class. Another good point was when they were playing the penultimate song, my mate decided to grab on to me, and make a plough to the front. It was quite funny actually, but being by the barrier for My Generation was amazing. I had been up walking all day, got up dead early but I weren’t tired. I was running on adrenaline.

I think it’s safe to say that yesterday was, and always will be one of the best days off my life. Hope you enjoyed reading, cheers.
Mon 08/07/02 at 19:20
Regular
"No Surprises Please"
allardini wrote:
> Congrats, but I'm kinda surprised that something like this could win a
> Gad..... Bah, I'm just jealous that you've now done 2 cool things :-D

Same here, it's funny how some things win that you don't expect to, then some things you think do, don't :D.

I'm making my own bootleg of last nights gig at the moment. I might put one up for grabs in a comp or something :D.
Mon 08/07/02 at 19:19
Regular
"No Surprises Please"
Small Frog wrote:
> Cor blimey - you go to see Oasis and then you win a game for it...what
> is the world coming to?

One of the best weekends ever :D. Got Hard Candy today as well.

> Oh, and congratulations...

Cheers.
Mon 08/07/02 at 18:57
Regular
"allardini's tagline"
Congrats, but I'm kinda surprised that something like this could win a Gad..... Bah, I'm just jealous that you've now done 2 cool things :-D
Mon 08/07/02 at 18:46
Regular
"Amphib-ophile"
Cor blimey - you go to see Oasis and then you win a game for it...what is the world coming to?

Oh, and congratulations...
Sun 07/07/02 at 15:37
Regular
"allardini's tagline"
Oasis rule.

I haven't bought Heathen Chemistry yet, but I downloaded Songbird a week ago, and it's been at the top of my playlist! It's a cracking song.

Oasis rule.
Sat 06/07/02 at 18:05
Regular
"No Surprises Please"
I got Heathen Chemistry on the day of its release. Very good album, except Better Man. It would be unfair to say that it's bad because Liam wrote it because he also wrote Songbird and Born On A Different Cloud which are one of the best songs on the album.

I've heard Muse a few times as I've been flicking through the music programmes, I've liked some, disliked others. Seem alright though.
Sat 06/07/02 at 17:10
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
So you got Heathen Chemistry now then?

I haven't listened to that in ages. I think I'll have to listen to it after this CD is finished. And guess what it is? That's right. MUSE. :-D
Sat 06/07/02 at 16:11
Regular
"No Surprises Please"
It is probably the worst off Morning Glory, but it sounded magnificent live. Maybe it was the crowds reaction or something but there was something very special about it.
Sat 06/07/02 at 16:00
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
But She's Electric isn't that good either. It's certainly the worst one on Morning Glory.
Sat 06/07/02 at 15:54
Regular
"No Surprises Please"
Vottanator wrote:
> Oh and you're right. Better Man is poor.

It was the only below average song they did. They made up for it though by doing She's Electric and Some Might Say. I never thought they would do them and they sounded brilliant.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.