GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Life in the Big Brother House; could you cope...."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 03/07/02 at 14:39
Regular
Like so many people across the country, I am getting quite into Big Brother. I often watch the show on Channel 4 as well as the live broadcast which runs on E4.

I have often wondered what it would actually be like to live in the Big Brother House for (a maximum of) 10 weeks. As well as the benefits of a cool house complete with a swimming pool and some attractive and often scantily-clad ladies, there would also be some disadvantages; Here are some of the disadvantages and possible solutions to them.

First of all, the main disadvantage that for most of us springs to mind would be the absence of a games machine. Imagine how much more fun the house would be if you could have multiplayer Halo games! The rich side could take on the poor side in a 4-vs-4 link up battle! Alternatively, instead of the housemates sitting up in the middle of the night, talking about rubbish, acting up for the cameras and staring at the walls, they could be having some all-nighter FFX sessions. (something i've been doing far too often recently!)

Of course the downside to this is that many members of the public may not be too pleased when they tune in hoping to see flirting, nakedness and humourous activity, but instead all they see is the housemates gathered round a TV, all suffering from a Final Fantasy Addiction. I can just imagine it; Alex would be moaning that the key to success lies with Haste and protect spells, whilst Jade would insist that all-out physical attacks are a better approach.

Surely it would be possible to get a console into the house. After all, last week the rich side spent £150 on a running machine, whilst this week Tim (who is on the rich side all on his own) chose to spend £100 of his £400 shopping budget on a magazine. (which turned out to be one he had already read!) What would you rather have? A GameCube with Super Smash Bros Melee or one magazine and a running machine!? If they want to run, why don't they run in circles around the garden?

A common and frequent complaint heard in the Big Brother House is that the contestants miss their mums and their families. They always say, "I won't mind if I get evicted because i'll get to see all my family." This seems strange to me because most of the contestants are students or at least live on their own, meaning that it is common for many of them to go for weeks or months without seeing their parents. If it was me in the house and I was up for eviction, the thought of my mum and dad being there and embarrassing me in front of millions on national TV would be enough to make me want to stay IN the house! If I were evicted i'd be saying, "for god's sake, when I get out my damn parents are gonna be there!"

Another downside to the isolated life in the house would be having to miss the World Cup. This brilliant sporting event only comes round every 4 years and this time England did quite well. (An occurence which only comes round every 10-20 years!) Some housemates may still be in there now, thinking that France stormed the tournament and went on to lift the trophy as they did in 1998...

One advantage of being in the house of course is that you miss Wimbledon. That way you don't have to listen to everybodys' assurances that Tim Henman WILL win it this year, when clearly he will eventually get knocked out. (Possibly this afternoon?)

So basically, if I had my way, i'd be in the Big Brother House and spend all day playing computer games. I'd probably only be in there for a week or two before all of the other housemates would put me up for eviction. For example; "I'd like to nominate doublezero, cos he doesn't help with the cooking, all he does is sleep, eat, go to the toilet and play games!"
However, i'm confident that a large proportion of the voting public, such as yourselves, would respect this lifestyle. After all, did you know that whether you win or not, all housemates get paid £30 a day for the time that they are in the house. £30 a day to sit on my backside and play computer games... yes please!

Thanks for Reading.
Wed 03/07/02 at 16:43
Regular
"gsybe you!"
'Cope'

Stupid. I am sure I could cope with being stuck in a nice house, given food, housing, free TV exposure, and a chance to win £70k.

'Poor side'?

Whats poor about it? Better than most 'poor' people.
Wed 03/07/02 at 16:35
Regular
"Bobba you"
Scar*
Wed 03/07/02 at 16:34
Regular
"Bobba you"
It depends who was in the house.

If say that Jade was in there I wouldent be able to, her uglyness would scare me for life.
Wed 03/07/02 at 15:49
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Goatboy wrote:
> I would get everyone to use profanity as their every other word, so
> ALL talking would have to be bleeped out all the time.
>
> And get everyone to refuse to do the tasks so we got food etc for
> free, otherwise C4 would be responsible for a series of "dirty
> protests".
> And I'd knock one out onto a different pillow each morning.
>
> I would win.

I think there would be something fundamentally wrong with this behaviour.
Wed 03/07/02 at 15:40
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Mr. Happy wrote:
he said "What you get to do about Tupac, that's so
> unfair!".
>
> I kid you not.
---

I bet this assclown can name every housemate and who has been evicted.
Don't worry or cry, seek solace in Coen Bros movies and Bukowski.
It helps me.
Wed 03/07/02 at 15:39
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
So why didn't they revolt and eat Tim?

Or sit in the living room having formed a Tribal Council?
Why not *all* leave at once.

Imagine it, however many weeks left of scheduling with nothing to fill it.
The sad thing is, even with an empty house, people will still watch.
Wed 03/07/02 at 15:38
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
It would be fun to openly read Machiavelli, and explain in the diary room, how exactly you were going to divide and rule the house, and turn your competitors against each other.

And it would work. When we did history course-work-ish stuff at school someone on the bus acked me what I was doing, I said yadda yadda Machiavelli, he said "What you get to do about Tupac, that's so unfair!".

I kid you not.
Wed 03/07/02 at 15:27
Goatboy wrote:

> But what do those people that are in there do?
> Sit in the garden and obey the rules of a television gameshow.
> Rubbish

To be fair, they ALMOST rebelled when only "poor" Tim was on his own in the rich side. The only true person to see hate light was Sandy, who knew it was ultimately his decision.
Wed 03/07/02 at 15:25
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
You could be like Truman's wife
"This bread is wonderfully fresh and maintains it high fibre quality even over a number of days! I would always choose Wonderloaf"
And get blanked all the time.

And have a w### in every room on the hour, screaming "BBC1 BBC1 BBC1".

Or walk around flipping off each camera and get everyone to smear their faeces on the wall for nice pictures.

Oh the possibilities.
But what do those people that are in there do?
Sit in the garden and obey the rules of a television gameshow.
Rubbish
Wed 03/07/02 at 15:19
Heh. But it would be pretty boring to those not interested in computer games - the games will take up all of the housemates' time that most of the program will be screened on the TV showing the game more than anything else.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.