GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"DS cartridge that plays more than one game"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 11/04/08 at 19:56
Regular
"Thinking and typing"
I've heard about these cartridges that hold more than one game, but don't know anything about them or how they work...anyone have any ideas???
Tue 15/04/08 at 21:46
Regular
"Thinking and typing"
Ooo deary me, sounds like a huge can of worms that needs looking after! I'm loving my DS...Zelda is blummin great!
Mon 14/04/08 at 13:41
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
hippyman wrote:
> You're right Garin. Think a lot along the whole
> "back-ups" and the like are in a grey area. It's like
> our law wants to do something about it but then gave up halfway
> through.

Well thats another thing isnt it. "back-ups" are illegal too but all the stuff surrounding it has moved into urban myth category, you can download as long as you own the original, you can download as long as you only keep it for 24 hours etc.. All of which is either made up, snatched from other countries laws or simply not applicable to digital media at all.

Dont get me wrong, I'm not moralising about the rights/wrongs. I own an M3DS and a hacked PSP myself so I'm not in any position to do so anyway.
Mon 14/04/08 at 12:02
Regular
"WeAppearToBeOnFire"
The cartridges are actually rather good, not that i've used one for illegal content but they are relatively cheap and work very well. Only cost me £20 for mine and then £10 or so for a 2GB card to run the games from. The games load quick. You load up the cartridge as if it was a game then all the content of the card shows up as a list. You then just click on game etc and it loads up as if you'd purchased it from a shop. Bargain!
Mon 14/04/08 at 11:18
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Garin wrote:
> People throw around the words legal and illegal far too
> casually. The reality is these cards are a grey area under UK
> law. For instance its illegal to circumvent copy protection, it
> seems likely the DS Lite has some to prevent unsigned software
> running on it. Thus the software on the M3/R4 itself could be
> illegal.

You're right Garin. Think a lot along the whole "back-ups" and the like are in a grey area. It's like our law wants to do something about it but then gave up halfway through.

I used to have a chipped PSone, but soon as my source of "back-ups" moved away (well, we moved house) then I started buying the authentic versions. By then they were almost as cheap as the copies and I felt better for them. Likewise, it gave me a higher appreciation for the games that I'd saved up my pocket money for and paid for.

MarcoG, I'm not saying don't buy one - just be careful on how you use it and what you tell people on how you use it (basic advice really on anything in the grey area of the law)
Sun 13/04/08 at 23:57
Regular
"Thinking and typing"
Homebrew??? sounds delicious! :)
Sun 13/04/08 at 22:36
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
People throw around the words legal and illegal far too casually. The reality is these cards are a grey area under UK law. For instance its illegal to circumvent copy protection, it seems likely the DS Lite has some to prevent unsigned software running on it. Thus the software on the M3/R4 itself could be illegal.
Sun 13/04/08 at 19:11
"possibly impossible"
Quite a lot. You just need to find the sites (or type DS homebrew in to google!)
Sun 13/04/08 at 15:40
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
pb wrote:
> And they're not illegal, just using them for NDS games is.

Thats what I meant. But knowing the way games companies work I'm sure it won't be long until they are.

Is there any decent homebrew stuff out there?
Sun 13/04/08 at 11:00
"possibly impossible"
They're about as difficult to obtain as anything else on Amazon marketplace.

And they're not illegal, just using them for NDS games is. They don't come with any games, only organiser software. They can be used to play loads of homebrew games (games created especially for the cartidges and free) as well as emulators such as SNES and Megadrive as well as the more dodgy side of things.

I recommend the M3 Real, which can take a Micro SDHC card. Then get a 4GB Micro SDHC from amazon Marketplace as well and your sorted.
Fri 11/04/08 at 20:19
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
It's alright...I don't judge.

But yeah, it's piracy - don't worry, you weren't to know. My stepsister has one, my mate has one and some of my ex-colleagues. They are around.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.