GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Who is in control?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 02/07/02 at 11:49
Regular
A lot of games are released these days after alleged intensive play-testing. There are always the inevitable patches (taken for granted and undoubtedly inevitable) but the one thing that always mystifies me is that the default controls for most games are usually ridiculously poor.

For example, when I first started to play Morrowind, within a minute I thought to myself, why on Earth have they set the keys up in this manner? Two minutes later and my own reconfiguration now allows me to move, fight, select and cast spells, use items, check map etc without need for any keyboard interaction. Having a wheeled mouse allows countless control options that were blatantly overlooked. Even with a standard two button affair, their chosen set up was flawed.

This was exactly the same for Medal of Honour: AA and Grand Theft Auto.

I have lost count of the amount of games where quick save isn’t Q, and where quick load isn’t L. Let’s have some sort of standard format, please.

Amazingly a lot of games reviews also mention things like ” I am glad that the game has a quick save function as I find myself repeatedly being blown up. Sometimes a level is a matter of; advance, press Control-F-* and @ simultaneously to quick save, die, reload by pressing Shift-P-and % within a second of each other and continuing”.

They never seem to change the controls themselves! The guys (or gals) job is reviewing games yet they still play with the cack-handed ill conceived, barley thought out control set-up that the developers never gave any consideration to. The only time that controls have been mentioned was for Black and White (no surprise they are terrible and the whole method of moving around the map is woefull).

So we have a similar situation to the patching scenario. A game can be released that may not work properly but the developers think “well they can always download the patch and sort it out themselves- we can’t be bothered”, now it seems they also think that “if they don’t like the controls they can sort it out for themselves- we can’t be bothered”.

Anyway you can write your own conclusion to this as I can’t be bothered but I will provide some words for you:

Poor, and, if, but, also, understandable, often, more, incomprehensible, lazy, why, most, blatant, carnivores, ostracised, demographic, supernova.
Tue 02/07/02 at 20:12
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
Why, that was the most blatant incomprehensible supernova, but also ostracised topic.

Great job.
Tue 02/07/02 at 11:49
"Darth Vader 3442321"
A lot of games are released these days after alleged intensive play-testing. There are always the inevitable patches (taken for granted and undoubtedly inevitable) but the one thing that always mystifies me is that the default controls for most games are usually ridiculously poor.

For example, when I first started to play Morrowind, within a minute I thought to myself, why on Earth have they set the keys up in this manner? Two minutes later and my own reconfiguration now allows me to move, fight, select and cast spells, use items, check map etc without need for any keyboard interaction. Having a wheeled mouse allows countless control options that were blatantly overlooked. Even with a standard two button affair, their chosen set up was flawed.

This was exactly the same for Medal of Honour: AA and Grand Theft Auto.

I have lost count of the amount of games where quick save isn’t Q, and where quick load isn’t L. Let’s have some sort of standard format, please.

Amazingly a lot of games reviews also mention things like ” I am glad that the game has a quick save function as I find myself repeatedly being blown up. Sometimes a level is a matter of; advance, press Control-F-* and @ simultaneously to quick save, die, reload by pressing Shift-P-and % within a second of each other and continuing”.

They never seem to change the controls themselves! The guys (or gals) job is reviewing games yet they still play with the cack-handed ill conceived, barley thought out control set-up that the developers never gave any consideration to. The only time that controls have been mentioned was for Black and White (no surprise they are terrible and the whole method of moving around the map is woefull).

So we have a similar situation to the patching scenario. A game can be released that may not work properly but the developers think “well they can always download the patch and sort it out themselves- we can’t be bothered”, now it seems they also think that “if they don’t like the controls they can sort it out for themselves- we can’t be bothered”.

Anyway you can write your own conclusion to this as I can’t be bothered but I will provide some words for you:

Poor, and, if, but, also, understandable, often, more, incomprehensible, lazy, why, most, blatant, carnivores, ostracised, demographic, supernova.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.