GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Frontlines: Fuel of War (Xbox360)"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Frontlines: Fuel of War'.
Fri 04/04/08 at 16:05
"possibly impossible"
Let me get this out in the open before anything else is said about this game; don’t buy this if you’re not online or don’t plan to play it online. The Single player is really there as a training system before you enter the game on Live.

On medium difficulty we’re talking 3-4 hours tops to finish the game. However fun it is, it’s certainly not worth the retail price for the single player alone. But to ignore the online game is to ignore the reason Frontlines was created.

The excuse for a story is that the world is fast running out of oil and the east has made a pact to combine forces and keep control of the vast percentage oil fields, leaving the west to suffer famine, recession and lack of fuel. Cheery. The next obvious stage is for them to grab the rest, which they start doing. Anyway, western forces are having none of it and fight back and it just so happens that this is where you come in.

So we come to the meat of the game, the online mode. Set in these mid-eastern areas where struggles for oilfields have escalated into full blown war, you and your AI or human controlled soldiers have to fight to gain areas which will push the frontline forward and eventually take control of the whole map. So far, so Battlefield. But where Frontlines really scores is in the decent vehicles that are instantly available. Tanks, trucks, coptors and even civilian busses are at your disposal in order to grab those precious checkpoints. All of which means 32 player battles on a large scale with masses of explosions.

The next neat idea comes in the form of Remote drones, airborne and land-based that can be controlled to fly or drive right up to the enemy and detonated or let loose with their weapons. This adds a new spin on sneaking up to the enemy. Often the drones are so small that you won’t spot them until its too late (even if you can hear them a mile off). The price you pay for using them is that you can’t control your player at the same time, leaving you vunerable to attack while you concentrate on flying the drone. Plus there’s only a limited distance before the signal gives out.

The graphics on a smaller monitor or HDTV are great, big explosions light up the sky and all the models are rendered well. When you up the TV size, though, you may notice the HD graphics suffering in comparison to other more pretty games. Still, they more than do their job in a busy warzone and even with a full 32 players there is little sign of slowing down. The teams and weapons seem to be well balanced and I’ve yet to see any scenarios where any one player can take complete control, something common in other FPS games.

So if you like your online games to be meaty vehicle based explodathons, Frontlines will be perfect for you. I’ll be playing this for a long time to come. It’s just a pity that the single player campaign isn’t any longer.

8/10
Sat 05/04/08 at 13:20
Regular
"Mooching around"
Heh, there's quite a large group of Ninty lovers around here :)
Fri 04/04/08 at 20:58
Regular
"Thinking and typing"
This sounds good. I've never really played much on the Xbox though...my heart is still with Nintendo haha :)
Fri 04/04/08 at 16:05
"possibly impossible"
Let me get this out in the open before anything else is said about this game; don’t buy this if you’re not online or don’t plan to play it online. The Single player is really there as a training system before you enter the game on Live.

On medium difficulty we’re talking 3-4 hours tops to finish the game. However fun it is, it’s certainly not worth the retail price for the single player alone. But to ignore the online game is to ignore the reason Frontlines was created.

The excuse for a story is that the world is fast running out of oil and the east has made a pact to combine forces and keep control of the vast percentage oil fields, leaving the west to suffer famine, recession and lack of fuel. Cheery. The next obvious stage is for them to grab the rest, which they start doing. Anyway, western forces are having none of it and fight back and it just so happens that this is where you come in.

So we come to the meat of the game, the online mode. Set in these mid-eastern areas where struggles for oilfields have escalated into full blown war, you and your AI or human controlled soldiers have to fight to gain areas which will push the frontline forward and eventually take control of the whole map. So far, so Battlefield. But where Frontlines really scores is in the decent vehicles that are instantly available. Tanks, trucks, coptors and even civilian busses are at your disposal in order to grab those precious checkpoints. All of which means 32 player battles on a large scale with masses of explosions.

The next neat idea comes in the form of Remote drones, airborne and land-based that can be controlled to fly or drive right up to the enemy and detonated or let loose with their weapons. This adds a new spin on sneaking up to the enemy. Often the drones are so small that you won’t spot them until its too late (even if you can hear them a mile off). The price you pay for using them is that you can’t control your player at the same time, leaving you vunerable to attack while you concentrate on flying the drone. Plus there’s only a limited distance before the signal gives out.

The graphics on a smaller monitor or HDTV are great, big explosions light up the sky and all the models are rendered well. When you up the TV size, though, you may notice the HD graphics suffering in comparison to other more pretty games. Still, they more than do their job in a busy warzone and even with a full 32 players there is little sign of slowing down. The teams and weapons seem to be well balanced and I’ve yet to see any scenarios where any one player can take complete control, something common in other FPS games.

So if you like your online games to be meaty vehicle based explodathons, Frontlines will be perfect for you. I’ll be playing this for a long time to come. It’s just a pity that the single player campaign isn’t any longer.

8/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.