GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"DC Quake 3 - my first online experience"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 05/11/00 at 13:59
Regular
Dreamcast owners of the UK - or the World for that matter. It's imperative you pick this bad boy up. Why? I'll tell you why, aside from Chu Chu Rocket, this is THE online title to play on your Dreamcast.

I've had the US version for a week now, I recently bought a modem for me Asian DC and connected using my free ISP info and was greeted with 878 servers that I could connect to. I plumped for a Team Battle with 3 other people and I went to work laying waste to everyone - including my own team mate. I know there's no 'I' in team, but I was having fun.

After a good hour of play and dropped out and went for a Death Match battle. I was well and truly whopped, but, I've never really been a Quake player, so I wasn't too fussed.

Now, an important factor with any online title is lag. I can honestly tell you, there is none. Seriously, there were times though when lag was very minimal. But, when your having so much fun, you don't care.

You really need a Keyboard and Mouse if you want to stand a chance on the multi-platform levels. But, the pad is quite good none-the-less - it's what I've been using.

IMHO I can't see how people could ignore this title. Admittedly, the single player is kinda boring, but useful for getting used to the mechanics of the game. But let's face it, would you buy it if you didn't intend going online with it?

Bleeders
Sun 05/11/00 at 13:59
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
Dreamcast owners of the UK - or the World for that matter. It's imperative you pick this bad boy up. Why? I'll tell you why, aside from Chu Chu Rocket, this is THE online title to play on your Dreamcast.

I've had the US version for a week now, I recently bought a modem for me Asian DC and connected using my free ISP info and was greeted with 878 servers that I could connect to. I plumped for a Team Battle with 3 other people and I went to work laying waste to everyone - including my own team mate. I know there's no 'I' in team, but I was having fun.

After a good hour of play and dropped out and went for a Death Match battle. I was well and truly whopped, but, I've never really been a Quake player, so I wasn't too fussed.

Now, an important factor with any online title is lag. I can honestly tell you, there is none. Seriously, there were times though when lag was very minimal. But, when your having so much fun, you don't care.

You really need a Keyboard and Mouse if you want to stand a chance on the multi-platform levels. But, the pad is quite good none-the-less - it's what I've been using.

IMHO I can't see how people could ignore this title. Admittedly, the single player is kinda boring, but useful for getting used to the mechanics of the game. But let's face it, would you buy it if you didn't intend going online with it?

Bleeders
Sun 05/11/00 at 22:33
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Might have to look into getting that Quake game :-)
Mind you i can't really buy any games till next year now cause i've gotta save all my money for Florida in december.
Hopefully once i get back i should be getting a new PC so i'll probably buy multiplayer games such as Unreal Tournament rather than Quake.
Mon 06/11/00 at 17:18
Regular
I'm hesitant because of the phone bills.

As a matter of fact, I really shouldn't be on the internet now.

Ah well...
Mon 06/11/00 at 22:46
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Yeah has to be said, as far as going online with the dreamcast goes, you have to watch the clock. If you wanna play online on a PC though i can recommend AOL :-)
Its just turned £15 a month with no phone charges so you can sit and type or play online games to your hearts content without keeping one eye on the clock ;-)
Word of warning for anyone considering it though, its a new price plan and they've put their long term members on it first. If its not available to everyone now it won't be long though. If you get the disk then you can always ask them :-)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.