GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Size doesn't matter"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 10/06/02 at 13:18
Regular
It amazes me every time I see someone say how the Gamecube is kewl because it is 'small and portable', and that none of the other consoles are. What planet are you on?
Every console is portable. PCs with their monitors and cables are not portable, but consoles are. The fact that the Gamecube is marginally smaller than other consoles does not mean it's the only portable console - it means it is marginally smaller, and that's all. They are all still very portable.

You seem to class the smallest console as the only console that is portable.

It's like saying only cars that can go over 200mph can move.

What will you lot say when someone releases a console that is smaller than the Gamecube? Will the Gamecube all of a sudden not be portable, just like the Xbox and PS2 now? The Dreamcast was also very small, yet no-one claimed that as a selling point. Why not? Because it already had enough selling points that were much more valid - first 128-bit console, only console with working online games, first true next-gen console etc. etc.

The Dreamcast didn't need half-@rsed pointless and trivial selling points like 'it's so small you can take it anywhere!' because that is true of ALL consoles.

Perhaps the fact that Nintendo fans claim the size of the console makes it portable or not and then claim this as a selling point should not come as a surprise, as the majority of Nintendo fans are aged to suit the console? If Nintendo build a console to look like a dinky toy, and then make games to suit my little sisters, I suppose they can't complain when their fan-base is so young that they come up with lame positive points like the size of the console.

Step over the the Microsoft, Sony or Sega forums and you see things like 'specifications' and 'hardware' being talked about. This is because these are in fact adult consoles. No-one expects Nintendo fans to care about such things, as they are too obsessed with their cutesy little fluffy game characters to notice 'frame rate' or 'polygon count', but what they DO expect is that you appreciate that some people actually care about the POWER inside their console, and not just if it's small enough to fit down your Jap's eye or not.

At the end of the day if you lot want to sit there and get erections over your small consoles then you can do that, but don't try using it as a reason behind 'mine is better than yours' as it just makes you look stupid.
How many people have been unable to take their Xbox to another room because it was too big? None. Do you hang your Gamecubes on your eye-lashes to play on it, or do you stick it under your TV, exactly where you would stick an Xbox? How many people can take their Gamecube to places an Xbox cannot go? None. Why is this? Because SIZE DOESN'T MATTER.
Mon 10/06/02 at 13:18
Regular
It amazes me every time I see someone say how the Gamecube is kewl because it is 'small and portable', and that none of the other consoles are. What planet are you on?
Every console is portable. PCs with their monitors and cables are not portable, but consoles are. The fact that the Gamecube is marginally smaller than other consoles does not mean it's the only portable console - it means it is marginally smaller, and that's all. They are all still very portable.

You seem to class the smallest console as the only console that is portable.

It's like saying only cars that can go over 200mph can move.

What will you lot say when someone releases a console that is smaller than the Gamecube? Will the Gamecube all of a sudden not be portable, just like the Xbox and PS2 now? The Dreamcast was also very small, yet no-one claimed that as a selling point. Why not? Because it already had enough selling points that were much more valid - first 128-bit console, only console with working online games, first true next-gen console etc. etc.

The Dreamcast didn't need half-@rsed pointless and trivial selling points like 'it's so small you can take it anywhere!' because that is true of ALL consoles.

Perhaps the fact that Nintendo fans claim the size of the console makes it portable or not and then claim this as a selling point should not come as a surprise, as the majority of Nintendo fans are aged to suit the console? If Nintendo build a console to look like a dinky toy, and then make games to suit my little sisters, I suppose they can't complain when their fan-base is so young that they come up with lame positive points like the size of the console.

Step over the the Microsoft, Sony or Sega forums and you see things like 'specifications' and 'hardware' being talked about. This is because these are in fact adult consoles. No-one expects Nintendo fans to care about such things, as they are too obsessed with their cutesy little fluffy game characters to notice 'frame rate' or 'polygon count', but what they DO expect is that you appreciate that some people actually care about the POWER inside their console, and not just if it's small enough to fit down your Jap's eye or not.

At the end of the day if you lot want to sit there and get erections over your small consoles then you can do that, but don't try using it as a reason behind 'mine is better than yours' as it just makes you look stupid.
How many people have been unable to take their Xbox to another room because it was too big? None. Do you hang your Gamecubes on your eye-lashes to play on it, or do you stick it under your TV, exactly where you would stick an Xbox? How many people can take their Gamecube to places an Xbox cannot go? None. Why is this? Because SIZE DOESN'T MATTER.
Mon 10/06/02 at 13:31
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Some people call the Cube protable because of the handle on the back, and the 5" screen and Battery Power Pack you can buy for it - meaning you can take and play with it anywhere.

The Dreamcast didn't have anything like this, despite it's small size.
The PSOne was small, neat and compact, and you could get a screen for that too. So that was also portable.

We don't really care about the size or portabillity of a console unless it's a handheld - like the GameBoy Advance.
People have always been joking about playing the PSOne or GameCube on the bus, or while walking down the street.

But a more compact version of the same console does sell better.
Look at the PSOne. I know quite a few people who actually went and sold their original PlayStation's and brought a PSOne, just because it looked so much better!

There were apparently plans a while back to allow the PS2 to follow suit, and I even heard a few rumours about the X-box too!
Mon 10/06/02 at 15:22
Regular
Gar-J wrote:
but what they DO expect is that you appreciate that some
> people actually care about the POWER inside their console, and not
> just if it's small enough to fit down your Jap's eye or not.

This is what the Nintendo president was going on about, people are to blinded by how many polygons their console can pump out and not what games it runs.

You sir are an idiot if you think Ninty's think that he console being small is a selling point. The reason Gamecube is so highly regarded by a lot of people is the game line-up, by the end of the year GC will be host to tons of AAA titles such as Metroid, Resident Evil, Starfox Adventures etc etc.

Gar J next time you come into the forums please don't post such biased crap you annoying little fan boy.
Mon 10/06/02 at 15:53
Regular
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> The reason Gamecube is so highly regarded by a lot of people is the game line-up, by the end of the year GC will be host to tons of AAA titles such as Metroid, Resident Evil, Starfox Adventures etc etc.

Yea, but that's only if the console can actually run an acceptable version of these games. And by that I mean versions that don't ground to a halt every time more than 3 things happen on screen at once. You are right, it is not a good idea to concentrate solely on hardware specs, and games DO make a console... but only to a degree can you forget hardware. If the console lacks the power, then it won't be ABLE to run these *great* games you're talking about.

> Gar J next time you come into the forums please don't post such biased
> crap you annoying little fan boy.

Biased? How so? I spoke about the Sony, Microsoft and Sega forums equally, and was in no way biased towards either console. You however, you prat, appear to have been very hostile towards me because of the dose of reality I have given this forum regarding the importance given to the size of the Gamecube. So, if anyone is biased here, it's you!
Mon 10/06/02 at 16:09
"Mimmargh!"
While the selling point of Gamecubes size is a very valid point, and is a bit stupid to rave about it being portable, your exaggeration of ''cutsey characters is very wrong in my opinion. But I won't rant and rave about Nintendo's new adult games.

However, dicussing polygon count and framerate to sell a console is, frankly, sad.
Who really gives a damn when the diffence in console performance is really negligable when it SHOULD be about the choice and quality of the games on that system. As well as the price and exclusive titles.
Mon 10/06/02 at 16:11
Regular
Gar-J wrote:
> Biased? How so? I spoke about the Sony, Microsoft and Sega forums
> equally, and was in no way biased towards either console. You however,
> you prat, appear to have been very hostile towards me because of the
> dose of reality I have given this forum regarding the importance given
> to the size of the Gamecube. So, if anyone is biased here, it's you!

You gave a very biased view of ninty's, according to you everyone with a Nintendo console is 12 years old and seems to think that the console being small is a major selling point. Get your facts straight, the majority of the Gamecubes user base has been found to be around 23 years old and I don't know what you've been reading but I haven't come across anyone saying the Gamecubes good because it's small.

You wrote a whole topic criticising Ninty's for saying the Cubes small and you don't expect a bit of hostility?

Jeezus please come back when you have something more intresting to say instead of and I quote "it's small enough to fit down your Jap's eye or not".
Mon 10/06/02 at 17:27
I agree whole heartedly with Tiltawhirl the point about the cube is its grafix power and its general power in and independant test its been proven to be more powerfull the the Xbox + there are those brillant games like rougue leader and the orginal pikmin Thats its selling point and i would also point out im way older then what the sujestion was.
Mon 10/06/02 at 18:21
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> You gave a very biased view of ninty's, according to you everyone with
> a Nintendo console is 12 years old and seems to think that the console
> being small is a major selling point. Get your facts straight, the
> majority of the Gamecubes user base has been found to be around 23
> years old and I don't know what you've been reading but I haven't come
> across anyone saying the Gamecubes good because it's small.

You obviously don't read the crap Ninties post in the X-Box forum then. Even when they do mention games, it ends up being along the lines of "X-Box is crap cause its only got Halo while Cube has Mario and Zelda".

Now those are two classic titles of course, but to say a console is crap cause it only has one game, then follow up with only 2 titles for the console your "defending" is pretty much the acts of a complete clueless muppet.

Reading Gar-J's post, any biased you saw in that is nothing to the utter crud that Ninties post in the X-Box forum. Most of them are usually newbies but occasionally even the odd regular has been known to say stuff thats not far off being laughable. This arguement Gar-J mentioned of some actually saying the GC is "da best" cause its small and has got a handle DOES actually happen. You might not have said it, but its certainly been used as an arguement.
Mon 10/06/02 at 18:31
Like the old saying small is beautifull
Mon 10/06/02 at 18:33
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Or how about the saying "bigger is better" ?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.