GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sonyphiles and their beloved Machine..........."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 10/06/02 at 00:02
Regular
PS2.
Now what has the PS2 really and truly going for it now?
Metal Gear Substance Hmm?
Well possibly, that's if you don't have the truly excellent MGS2 though.
But then there is Devil May Cry 2, all those pointless Mario Clones that will never succeed in Bettering Mario Sunshine such as Ratchet and Clank, because lets face it Mario Sunshine WILL be good, great in fact, Miyamoto is on Full Time with this one.
But really, think about it now of any other release that is a genuine buy will also be on Gamecube and Xbox. And when that happens we get better visuals with the GC and Xbox so why bother with PS2 versions?
And its been done before- Burnout it is Visually Better on GC than it is on PS2. Like- oooh so many others.......
Which brings me onto the PS2 graphics, they are sub standard!
The Majority of Games are very washed out looking- GTA3 for one and most have Jagged Edges too, plus the Flickering is appalling in some games.
Face it Sonyphiles, out of the three consoles that is out there the PS2 is the worst in terms of Visuals. The best in Visuals has to be the Gamecube followed by the Xbox. Im not being biased either, but its what I have seen and witnessed and played on EACH system to form that opinion, I own each system and take a very un-biased approach to each, if a game looks crap or plays crap ill not be afraid to say to others that it is crap, full stop.

Then we have the PS2 Controller, which is quite frankly against the other three consoles ranking Number two next to the Mighty Comfortable Gamecube effort. Having Nintendo ideas welded onto the Dual Shock (And inside the Plastic thing) it still gets a little too un-comfortable, which is shocking given where the ideas come from, the left analogue stick is awkwardly placed- fidgety and a pain. And the Analogue buttons are useless.

But lets ask one thing...A beloved machine? yes by countless millions, is the mightey PS2!.
It is only in the position it is now due to its older brother and its older brother was only successful because of Nintendo.
It is loved and cherished for all the wrong reasons, many people out there who stick by it are just too biased, too darn built up with their own mystic fantasies of it that they refuse to sample the delights of any other system. These same people, which the majority are teens, not the Teens that Sony claim to be aiming for but Children! Little children and older children. They have all got it into their head that the PS2 is the best thing ever created, they are the same people who's first console was the PS and never owned a non-Sony console in their life, which makes them blinkered even further.
Nintendo on the other hand have an average age group of 23 who own Gamecube's, consider that. And the Nintendo players have a long history with the company.
Sonyphiles, open your eyes. Sample the delights that is out there that hasn't a Sony Logo on it. You see, what I think is that Sonyphiles are afraid to do that, afraid to sample other machines to spend hours and nights and days on the greats of the XBox and GC in case they are drawn from the Sickly Beloved PS2's and realising there is better out there...by a mile!.
Am I right?
Fri 19/07/02 at 12:24
"High polygon count"
DeltaJava wrote:
> Until we reach the day where games will use photo realistic graphics
> as standard, with the hardware powerful enough to fully support it,
> consoles will continue to be replaced by their next generation
> versions. Having said that, that's not too far away now.

True. I think we're perhaps two - maybe three - console generations away from that.
Fri 19/07/02 at 12:23
"High polygon count"
SMÉAGOL wrote:
> What I meant was X-Box only, sorry about that. The Gamecube as it
> stands is faster than PS2.

Faster CPU, yes - but less graphical grunt in terms of raw power. Gamecube has been quoted by the designer as managing about 12 million poly/sec before performance starts to suffer, whereas PS2 is currenty using around 20 million in GT3.

That's why specs mean so little - a faster CPU doesn't necessarly mean more power.
Fri 19/07/02 at 12:23
"High polygon count"
Korg wrote:
> The strong wind drags the smoke trail of the rocket to the right - and
> get this - when you turn 180 degrees around the smoke trail gets dragged
> to the LEFT (in the direction of the wind). Now if you can come up with
> a better example of usage of physics in a game on any other console then
> I fore one will be very suprised.

Well, be surprised. That's not the best example of physics. In fact, there is little in Halo that can be held up as a good example of physics simulation, with the possible exception if ricocheting bullets.

As for the smoke... I think it's quite safe to say that even the original car handling physics of GT1 on PSone would put something that simple to shame!
Tue 16/07/02 at 17:37
Until we reach the day where games will use photo realistic graphics as standard, with the hardware powerful enough to fully support it, consoles will continue to be replaced by their next generation versions. Having said that, that's not too far away now.
Sat 13/07/02 at 21:51
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
Please people, don't get me wrong. The PS2 is great for games, but I was mainly highlighting the visual output the system has.
You see, the PS2 was supposed to put every contender to shame.
Sony had everyone convinced(Including me) that the PS2's emotion engine was the ultimate thing going "Providing visials that are gob smacking", but in reality, the system didn't do that.
Granted, there are some top notch games out there that has great looking visuals in their own right on PS2,but compare them to the X-Box or GC visuals and they fail in comparison.
What's holding the PS2 together though isn't great visuals, it's the great games that's available-and a whole two years of it!.
It might be the console that produces the worst visuals, but heck- no-one can ignore the games it has going for it in the past two years.

GC and "possibly" X-Box will be in the same postion 20 months from now.
Sat 06/07/02 at 23:30
Everyone starts to insult Sony just as the other consoles are becoming cheaper to buy, using polygon counts and raw data etc. There are certain facts to consider before you write off a machine that you have considerbaly little time playing:

The PS2 has been out for 2 years (An age in technological terms). The PS2 was released to counter the Dreamcast, and fill the void in the market that it was leaving. Sony made a shrewd business move by overshadowing Sega's console while it was starting to flag, hastening its demise.
The PS2 was released before it's hardware potential was reached. The early release of the PS2 may also have been because publishers were becoming frustrated, as they vast array of titles available had squeezed as much power out of the console. This did not apply to Nintendo, as the development teams were all in house.

Graphics don't make games: It has been said over and over again, since Nightbreed on the Amstrad; A graphically excellent game with poor gameplay and an incomprehensible (if any) plot is no use to anyone. It will however sell by the barrowload, and top the charts. While there are games on all formats that still rely on doing so, the huge catalog of titles for the PS2 ensure that any PS2 owner will be content playing games that are enjoyable and also have longevity.

The PS2 is the only console to have delivered in mass- Screenshots count for nothing

There are only a few AAA titles available for people to go out and buy for the XBox and GC. Apart from Halo, Project Gotham Racing for the XBox, and Pikmin, Star wars and Super monkey ball on the GC, how many great blockbuster games are there? The PS2 in its two years has had plenty of time to do this, and has done so, with MGS2, GTA3, GT3, PES, but still has not forgotten about other genres, by releasing games to suit all tastes.

No matter how many people rant and rave about how great a game will be, it is worth absolutely nothing, and there aren't that many people who care what you think. GC and XBox owners can talk about how great a game will be, PS2 owners have enough great titles to play until it comes out.
Each consoles has got supposedly great titles in the pipeline, but until we can play them, please SHUT UP ABOUT SPECS.

Its not about games, its about sales

The best console is not the most powerful one, the best looking one, or the one with the most features, its the one that sells the most games. Just looking at the top ten on digitiser, only 2 out of the top 10 leisure software chart aren't available on the PS2. Some might say that proves some PS2 owners are stupid, and I can't prove that wrong for every PS2 owner. The DC was supposedly a better console than the PS2, but where did it get its manufacturer? Do you think Microsoft, Nintendo or Sony cares about the quality of its games?
Sat 06/07/02 at 19:27
Regular
"Hmmm....."
Whoever was saying about how physics on the PS2 are above all other consoles have you ever played HALO on the Xbox? Astounding physics - the best seen in a game yet in my opinion. An example of this is firing a rocket launcher is an outdoor level. The strong wind drags the smoke trail of the rocket to the right - and get this - when you turn 180 degrees around the smoke trail gets dragged to the LEFT (in the direction of the wind). Now if you can come up with a better example of usage of physics in a game on any other console then I fore one will be very suprised.
Sat 29/06/02 at 13:47
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
SMÉAGOL wrote:
> The CPU Situation...........
>
> Since Sony and Co explain about RAW specs only for their systems, what
> would you get if you clocked a Gamecube's CPU with -All added effects
> turned off?
> You might find the results suprisingly higher than PS2 and X-Box!.

What I meant was X-Box only, sorry about that. The Gamecube as it stands is faster than PS2.
Sat 29/06/02 at 13:45
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
The CPU Situation...........

Since Sony and Co explain about RAW specs only for their systems, what would you get if you clocked a Gamecube's CPU with -All added effects turned off?
You might find the results suprisingly higher than PS2 and X-Box!.
Tue 25/06/02 at 13:54
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Turbonutter wrote:
> I'm not sure if it can do true multitasking. It's a big thing not to
> mention and I haven't seen it anywhere yet. Still, all it means is big
> tasks don't lock up the CPU, in a gaming environment I really doubt
> this would make much difference. In my opinion, true multitasking is
> overrated. Only when you actually have 2 CPUs does it because anything
> like substantially faster. And it doesn't make the GameCube's CPU run
> any faster.

PowerPC processor: The PowerPC features a short seven-stage pipeline, full 128-bit memory paths between L1 and L2 cache, and a floating-point unit that’s capable of executing double-precision mathematical calculations in a single processor cycle. The PowerPC also supports prefetching (which improves performance by retrieving and caching data before it’s actually demanded by the processor) with up to four simultaneous 32-bit data streams, unlike the Pentium III, which can only manage a single 32-bit block prefetch.

Velocity Engine: The PowerPC processor boosts efficiency further with the Velocity Engine, a fearsomely fast, 128-bit vector parallel processing unit. In applications written to take advantage of vector processing, the Velocity Engine accelerates processing by executing an operation on multiple pieces of data at the same time. It processes data in 128-bit chunks, instead of the 32-bit or 64-bit chunks that are the norm in traditional processors.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.