GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Funny Games? Don't Make Me Laugh"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 09/06/02 at 19:28
Regular
To show the heavy, cynical nature of this post, here's a joke:

Q: How do you make a gamer laugh?
A: Who cares?

Bad, I admit - but probably still funnier than anything you ever see in a game title. Games are supposed to be fun, aren't they? Sadly, even unintentionally titles are fading fast, it seems. Today, bad software is just bad software full stop. In an attempt to get to the (snigger) bottom of this, I asked some mates what was the funniest thing they'd ever seen in a game. They had a hard time, I can tell you. Only two titled popped up, both old PC games: Sierra's Leisure Suit Larry (for its use of a drum and cymbal sound after every horrendously bad joke) and the scene in LucasArts's Monkey Island 2 where Guybrush hits his head on a tree and dreams his parents are skeletons, who then proceed to dance to the theme of the bones song.

Some people might say that LucasArts’ very American 'jokes' (as found in the Monkey Island series and, more recently, Grim Fandango) are capable of raising a smile. I'd say only if you find 'round' funny. The odd thing about people who play computer games is that they seem to lose all sense of perspective when they (quite wrongly) attempt to relate the software to other media. Be honest, LucasArt's stuff is hardly hilarious enough to get heads rolling in the aisles. The same words would carry little weight in the literary world. And besides, I don't believe words are yet the stuff of the computer entertainment medium.

It's worth considering that publishers in a global marketplace are aware that some English words just don't translate very well into foreign languages - which means colloquialisms are out for a start (except for the Japanese who, quite rightly, don't care if the rest of the planet fail to appreciate their humour). Note that conch (as in shell) is a word best avoided in certain areas on the continent.

So that leaves just visual humour - slapstick with silly situations and characters. By characterizing pixels, the characters don't have to say much, but their behavior and the situations in which they find themselves need to be extreme to be all the more memorable. Earthworm Jim springs to mind. And then there’s the (literally) toilet humour. You may be embarrassed or offended by, say, some senile old woman incapable of stopping herself sneezing thick, green phlegm all over someone else’s lunch, but I’d laugh my head off. Sod ‘em if they can’t take a joke, that’s what I say.

I've scaled it down to two main reasons why games aren't funny (and won't be for some time to come):

1.) The people who write them have such a poor sense of humour. Funny people are often found on stage or screen - not designing or programming games.

2.) Software publishers are too serious - and prefer to play safe because there's so much cash at stake. The best humour is suggestive or offensive, but programmers aren't allowed to write jokes that might offend seven-year-old kids and old grannies who go to church on Sunday.

3.) The computer entertainment medium has yet to 'find itself'. When it does, a unique form of computer-based humour will develop (I hope).

Yes, I know that's three reasons - and a predictable poor joke in itself. But that's just like the state of original games today, really. Boom-boom!
Sun 09/06/02 at 19:28
Regular
To show the heavy, cynical nature of this post, here's a joke:

Q: How do you make a gamer laugh?
A: Who cares?

Bad, I admit - but probably still funnier than anything you ever see in a game title. Games are supposed to be fun, aren't they? Sadly, even unintentionally titles are fading fast, it seems. Today, bad software is just bad software full stop. In an attempt to get to the (snigger) bottom of this, I asked some mates what was the funniest thing they'd ever seen in a game. They had a hard time, I can tell you. Only two titled popped up, both old PC games: Sierra's Leisure Suit Larry (for its use of a drum and cymbal sound after every horrendously bad joke) and the scene in LucasArts's Monkey Island 2 where Guybrush hits his head on a tree and dreams his parents are skeletons, who then proceed to dance to the theme of the bones song.

Some people might say that LucasArts’ very American 'jokes' (as found in the Monkey Island series and, more recently, Grim Fandango) are capable of raising a smile. I'd say only if you find 'round' funny. The odd thing about people who play computer games is that they seem to lose all sense of perspective when they (quite wrongly) attempt to relate the software to other media. Be honest, LucasArt's stuff is hardly hilarious enough to get heads rolling in the aisles. The same words would carry little weight in the literary world. And besides, I don't believe words are yet the stuff of the computer entertainment medium.

It's worth considering that publishers in a global marketplace are aware that some English words just don't translate very well into foreign languages - which means colloquialisms are out for a start (except for the Japanese who, quite rightly, don't care if the rest of the planet fail to appreciate their humour). Note that conch (as in shell) is a word best avoided in certain areas on the continent.

So that leaves just visual humour - slapstick with silly situations and characters. By characterizing pixels, the characters don't have to say much, but their behavior and the situations in which they find themselves need to be extreme to be all the more memorable. Earthworm Jim springs to mind. And then there’s the (literally) toilet humour. You may be embarrassed or offended by, say, some senile old woman incapable of stopping herself sneezing thick, green phlegm all over someone else’s lunch, but I’d laugh my head off. Sod ‘em if they can’t take a joke, that’s what I say.

I've scaled it down to two main reasons why games aren't funny (and won't be for some time to come):

1.) The people who write them have such a poor sense of humour. Funny people are often found on stage or screen - not designing or programming games.

2.) Software publishers are too serious - and prefer to play safe because there's so much cash at stake. The best humour is suggestive or offensive, but programmers aren't allowed to write jokes that might offend seven-year-old kids and old grannies who go to church on Sunday.

3.) The computer entertainment medium has yet to 'find itself'. When it does, a unique form of computer-based humour will develop (I hope).

Yes, I know that's three reasons - and a predictable poor joke in itself. But that's just like the state of original games today, really. Boom-boom!
Sun 09/06/02 at 19:43
I gotta say, it's really irritating me that people keep banging on about GTA3, but I got my hands on it the other day and the "Chatterbox 109" radio station is the funniest thing I've heard for a long time - in a game or otherwise.

"At Aeris we make high quality footwear. In fact, you can buy Aeris running shoes in over 140 countries worldwide. In the past, there's been some criticism about our workers, so that's why I'm here at one of Aeris' factories so you can meet some of them. Excuse me sir, do you enjoy your job here?"

Voice of small boy: "It's fun. You get to play with knives."

"I see. Is there a real sense of achievement?"

"My friend Joey sewed his hands together."

"Wow, you're learning real skills. And the salary and benefits?"

"Yesterday, I made a dollar."

"Y'see, that's the kind of dedication we have to our employees."

If you've got the game for PC, sling CD2 in the drive, open up the audio folder and play the file entitled CHAT (in caps). Just have a listen.
Sun 09/06/02 at 19:54
Regular
"Link to the Future"
Broken Sword's a pretty funny in places. Like when George asks a policeman:

"Isn't there anything you could do for my personnel safety?"

"What can I say? Be wary of suspicious characters, and don't cross the road until the little man shows green."

Not that funny, but still.
Sun 09/06/02 at 21:19
Regular
TheMeistro wrote:
> "Chatterbox 109" radio station is the funniest thing I've
> heard for a long time

LOL, yes I agree completely, chatterbox in GTA3 is the exception. Also worthy of note in the unintentionally funny games category has to be Metal Gear Solid 2. Perhaps it is because it takes itself so seriously - the Ninja says 'La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo' without so much as a smirk.
Sun 09/06/02 at 21:36
Regular
Chatterbox is probably one of the best radio stations in GTA3, how will they better it in GTA: vice city?
Mon 10/06/02 at 00:05
Regular
"95% organic"
Mister Moskeeto on the PS2 is hella funny, and likely to induce deep belly-bellowed laughter. Or at least a furtive snigger.
Mon 10/06/02 at 00:39
Regular
"Selected"
KR wrote:
> Chatterbox is probably one of the best radio stations in GTA3, how
> will they better it in GTA: vice city?

I suggest going for a nice drive across downtown listening to Double Cleff FM - how relaxing!
Mon 10/06/02 at 07:42
Regular
*cough* Conker's Bad Fur Day *cough*
Mon 10/06/02 at 07:42
Regular
*cough* Conker's Bad Fur Day *cough*

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.