GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Melee Blues :("

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 08/06/02 at 11:11
Regular
Yesterday i recieved my copy of smash bros melee, from ebay.
It was a slightly used american copy , that was only $30.99 , so i decided to buy it.
One paypal payment and a week later it arives, in a nice little Global Priority Mail Envelope , with a little bit that you tear down the side to open it (nice touch that).

With my heart pounding , i open it up , to find the box , a few scratches here and there , with a bit of selotape to keep it shut (why? i dont know) but because i knew it was used , this didn't matter.

My brother is standing next to me anxiously , after turning the power the power on. I open the case , to find a crumpled up bit of paper with a ninty ad on it , but no instructions "ah , it said there were instructions in the auction" , but i dont use the instructions much anyway , so that didn't matter , and besides i only paid £23 for it.
So i lift up the disc , a nice red one with smash bros melee on it , in big bold letters.

And as i always do , i looked under neath the disc , to check for scratches etc , and what do i find ?
About 6 Great whopping bid scratches on the disc, and they arent just on the the main part of the disc , they are covering the circle of small square like things that make the disc legible for the laser to read.

Now my heart sinks , i had a feeling that it wouldn't work when i put it in the GC, and guess what ? After a few wierd unsmooth sounding clicks and beeps , a red box comes up on the screen saying " Cannot Read Disc , please consult Nintendo Gamecube Instruction manual for information."
OH POO !

Now for the next 20 minutes , i try scraping a layer of the disc away , in an attemp to remove the scratches (it is possible , ive seen a machine that can do it.) I made them less deep , but to no avail , it still didn't work.

So i ask my dad what to do , so he says scrub it with fairy liquid. "OK ???"
So we scrub it with that , with a soft cloth , dry it , then try again , and obviously it still doesn't work.

By now im fed up with the whole thing , and play rogue leader to calm myself (nothing like the Battle Of Endor level , superb !).

Later on i email the girl that sold me it , after about 10 mins she replies , and says she's very sorry and can offer me a replacement or a refund. So i ask for the replacement , as long as it's in perfect condition. She says ok , and so by next week i'll be in the same situation , my heart pounding , legs and arms shaking only next time it shouldn't be so much of a dissapointment :(

(oh well , thank god england won , or that would have got me down even more )
Sat 08/06/02 at 11:11
Regular
"what is knowledge ?"
Yesterday i recieved my copy of smash bros melee, from ebay.
It was a slightly used american copy , that was only $30.99 , so i decided to buy it.
One paypal payment and a week later it arives, in a nice little Global Priority Mail Envelope , with a little bit that you tear down the side to open it (nice touch that).

With my heart pounding , i open it up , to find the box , a few scratches here and there , with a bit of selotape to keep it shut (why? i dont know) but because i knew it was used , this didn't matter.

My brother is standing next to me anxiously , after turning the power the power on. I open the case , to find a crumpled up bit of paper with a ninty ad on it , but no instructions "ah , it said there were instructions in the auction" , but i dont use the instructions much anyway , so that didn't matter , and besides i only paid £23 for it.
So i lift up the disc , a nice red one with smash bros melee on it , in big bold letters.

And as i always do , i looked under neath the disc , to check for scratches etc , and what do i find ?
About 6 Great whopping bid scratches on the disc, and they arent just on the the main part of the disc , they are covering the circle of small square like things that make the disc legible for the laser to read.

Now my heart sinks , i had a feeling that it wouldn't work when i put it in the GC, and guess what ? After a few wierd unsmooth sounding clicks and beeps , a red box comes up on the screen saying " Cannot Read Disc , please consult Nintendo Gamecube Instruction manual for information."
OH POO !

Now for the next 20 minutes , i try scraping a layer of the disc away , in an attemp to remove the scratches (it is possible , ive seen a machine that can do it.) I made them less deep , but to no avail , it still didn't work.

So i ask my dad what to do , so he says scrub it with fairy liquid. "OK ???"
So we scrub it with that , with a soft cloth , dry it , then try again , and obviously it still doesn't work.

By now im fed up with the whole thing , and play rogue leader to calm myself (nothing like the Battle Of Endor level , superb !).

Later on i email the girl that sold me it , after about 10 mins she replies , and says she's very sorry and can offer me a replacement or a refund. So i ask for the replacement , as long as it's in perfect condition. She says ok , and so by next week i'll be in the same situation , my heart pounding , legs and arms shaking only next time it shouldn't be so much of a dissapointment :(

(oh well , thank god england won , or that would have got me down even more )
Sat 08/06/02 at 11:24
Regular
Lol, unlucky.

At least the girl offered you a replacement, waiting for it is worth it :D
Sat 08/06/02 at 14:44
It was not clearly up to scratch
Sat 08/06/02 at 14:48
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Oh, the tremulation of putting that disc in my lovely GC...........Its SO damn good!

;-)
Sat 08/06/02 at 14:51
Regular
"You've upset me"
davyboy wrote:
> It was not clearly up to scratch

*tumbleweed blows by*
*RBS points to the door*

Get. Out.

:-D
Sat 08/06/02 at 15:06
"Mimmargh!"
Never buy second hand stuff.
Never.
In my experience it never works, may as well save a few extra quid to get a nice new one you KNOW will work. I brought Cyborg Hunter for my Master System about 10 years ago, second hand of the market for a fiver and it didn't work, and this was in the days of the steadfast cartridge.

I don't know why people trust second hand, and 3rd party stuff for that matter, it is a world apart from official software/hardware.

You better pray the next one works! But for me, I have my nice official one, courtsessy (sp?) of GAD.
Sat 08/06/02 at 15:12
Regular
"Selected"
At least you've got the coolest coffee coaster in the world now.
Sat 08/06/02 at 17:19
"Mimmargh!"
mikelar10 wrote:
> At least you've got the coolest coffee coaster in the world now.

LOL! Not even good for that!
It's too small for most glasses and mugs won't fit on those mini-discs!
Sun 09/06/02 at 10:43
Regular
"what is knowledge ?"
mikelar10 wrote:
> At least you've got the coolest coffee coaster in the world now.

my dad actually used the same kind of dics (the tiny online ones that you get from the shops) to make the tv level , they were just the perfect size , and it looks quite good, coz he put the small disc shiny side up , on top of a normal disc , and it does look quite effective ;-)
Sun 09/06/02 at 10:49
"Mimmargh!"
Indian-DudeY2K wrote:
> my dad actually used the same kind of dics

Freudian slip?
;0D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.