GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Remembering the BBC Micro"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 21/03/08 at 13:30
Regular
BBC

Not sure why I'm posting this because I dont think any of you remember it. :( Over 30? I'm only 27 and my dad got us one of these, though it was probably for himself. I remember this one disk with a naked lady on it :O

Lots of great games, my first computer, good times.
Thu 27/03/08 at 09:38
"possibly impossible"
pete_21 wrote:
> My mate had a game where you were a caveman armed with a yoyo
> !.Can't remember what it was called,It was ground breaking at the
> time.

That was Frak. There was a sample every time you died that said "oh, Frak!"

We used to have them at secondary School in the library. Being a self confessed geek I got a job at lunchtimes in the library so that I could get on the machines. A bunch of us ended up looking after them for the school.

I guess I'm showing my age now!
Thu 27/03/08 at 08:58
Regular
"I like turtles"
My mate had a game where you were a caveman armed with a yoyo !.Can't remember what it was called,It was ground breaking at the time.I had a Spectrum with a brick lodged in the back of it to give me an extra 32K (That amount of power was just plain crazy back in 1983 !!!)!.If it moved about .0000000000001mm the games used to crash and come up with an out of memory message.At least it worked occasionally,Unlike my Xbox 360 which is only now only useful as a mobile disco with its pulsating red lights flashing away in the corner of my front room !!.
Sun 23/03/08 at 00:54
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Chuckie Egg was a great game. I 'upgraded' from a BBC to an Amstrad PCW8256...killer machine!

Not
Sat 22/03/08 at 14:33
Regular
"Monochromatic"
I have a vague memory of their being a horse racing game/simulator on it. It caused a riot because you had 10 people crowding round the same machine shouting at it.
Sat 22/03/08 at 12:56
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Remembered the word processor chip - the program was called EdWord - or at least something like that.
Sat 22/03/08 at 11:45
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
I can remember a few of these from being at my primary school as late as the mid-90s... to be quite honest, I didn't think much of them, compared to the P120 I had at home (Despite the fact it had games my dad acquired some years before installed on it!)
Fri 21/03/08 at 22:28
Regular
"Twenty quid."
I bought a BBC Micro model B (with my own money!) way back in time and it was bloody brilliant. We had a room full of them at school so I was well up on BBC Basic and even wrote my own game, just a simple pontoon game.

I had a few games and two of my all time favourites were on the BBC: Citadel and Imogen. Other greats I remember were the Repton series, Zalaga, Galactica, Elite (of course), Exile and the frustratingly brilliant Thrust

I've collected a few links to related sites over the years and you can find them on my del.icio.us account.
Fri 21/03/08 at 19:41
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
Heh, Dare Devil Denis was great. :)
Fri 21/03/08 at 19:41
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Dragonlance wrote:
> Here is a site that may help your request, I can remember very
> little at the moment, except that we all had a great time trying
> to program and play 'these' games:
>
> bbcmicrogames
>
> Some of the games you mention aren't listed but I do vaguely
> remember the one's you mention and I'll try to remember

Not related to above but when we updated to RM Windowbox, we worked hard to install and play 'Captain Keen', one hell of a game then and another 'Tank...something' - can't remember!
Fri 21/03/08 at 19:33
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Here is a site that may help your request, I can remember very little at the moment, except that we all had a great time trying to program and play 'these' games:

bbcmicrogames

Some of the games you mention aren't listed but I do vaguely remember the one's you mention and I'll try to remember

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.