GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Mini-Games"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 28/05/02 at 08:18
Regular
Mini-Games.

As games are being pushed further and further using todays technology, we are seeing improvements being thrown all over the place. Enhanced graphics, extra levels, better animations and so on. As the hardware provides the development team with the stuff, they give it to us. They bring a whole new life to a game. These updates to a game are what the fuss and hype is all about during the games early days. Hoards of gaming freaks running around the town in 'latest version' hysteria.

Games are turning into a series all the more and there is always a limit to what can be put into a series. Or is there? It only takes new ideas and thoughts to come up with something new to add but sometimes these ideas can't be imagined and so the series dies. If there is nothing else to add, there is no reason for the same thing to continue over and over again. People will get bored and will lose all interest in what used to be a much enjoyed past-time.

The things that are included in sequels. Graphics, there has to be a limit somewhere down the line to how good these graphics can get on a certain format. But, a quick polish and a little facelift are always a nice thing to see in the newest games. Extra levels are great. They give you some extra time and value to what you have paid for. They can also introduce something to show how or why something happened in a previous game. Better animations are a treat to the eyes. They just look nicer and add the the overall presentation of the game. New storylines and new characters are big improvements to a game. Sometimes the characters and the storylines are too boring and dont have the gamer entertained. New storylines and characters can pick up where was left off but can give an explanation of some kind or something along those lines.

More recently, we have been seeing games include something different and 'new' which seems to be the developers 'latest craze'. Introducing Mini-Games! Games inside games. Now that can't be bad can it? Of course not. These things can add so much to the overall replay value and are something to give you a little rest away from concentrating on the main game. They are just for the sheer fun basically.

Super Monkey Ball, Metal Gear Solid Substance and Tony Hawks 4 are some examples of those games which include these new mini-games.

Super Monkey Ball with monkey fighting, monkey target, monkey billiards and everything monkey business. All great ways to entertain a few gamers.

Metal Gear Solid with Snake-Boarding. What should we think about this? At least we won't have everyone moaning about watching a movie again. Or maybe we will........
"Snake, Snake!......."
"Yes, Colonel, im here"
"Turn the console off Snake......... you've been kick-flipping too much!"
"What the....".
"Otacon!, the Colonel is acting weird! Whats wrong with him?"
"I dont know Snake......."
"Ok, Otacon, what is my status?"
"You're approaching the half-pipe......... use the left shoulder button to access...."

Ahem. Yeah, definately had enough of that.......

And now, Tony Hawks 4 with "Tony Tennis" and some others not mentioned yet. Dont believe me? Do your research. Players will be able to use thier boards as rackets to have a set of ball-smashing action!. One of the environments on the game will have the courts so why not serve up an ace or two? Sounds fun.

And so, are these mini-games bringing a whole new life to the games which may be lacking some other improvements? Are the developers running out of ideas to bring something else new to the game which doesn't sway of the games design course? Or, are these mini-games something that will provide many hours of gaming satisfaction knowing full well that they have nothing in comparison to what the game is all about?

For me, these mini-games will, infact, bring something new, fun and exciting to a game which may not be able to bring anything else new (except improved graphics etc) to us. But, although they may be fun and everything, it could be seen as a hint meaning that the developers have actually run out of ideas and can't come up with something new, thus bringing a sad and unfortunate end to a series we love so much. It is possible, but not definate.

Mini-games? Or no mini-games? That is the question.
Thu 30/05/02 at 08:17
Regular
"Hmmm....."
Thankyou everyone for your comments. I have to agree with some of you, you made some good points.
Maybe they put them in for a little more replay value, maybe they put them in because theyre out of ideas. hhhmmm. Im not sure what it is but I like the mini-games being put into the full game. Gives a little bit of fresh air and fun.

Thanks again.
:)
Thu 30/05/02 at 06:52
Regular
"Brrrrr."
Nice post. Well done! (Saw your 'ad' in the WLT...)
Thu 30/05/02 at 00:52
Regular
"360: swfcman"
Mini Games can be good and bad. Depends how the developer uses them. If like on Final Fantasy games they are used as a different way to put the story line across or to collect different items thats all well and good. The developer here is trying to add some variety to the gameplay, give us something different to do, and this is a very good thing for us.

However, mini games can be put in for very different reasons, and this is often down to the fact that the game is either so short or lacking in a storyline that they have to put something in to make it worth a buy, even though that its not going to make that much difference. In the end its how the developers use them.

Personally, i like to play them. They are often very fun and addactive things to play that really make a change from the normal run around a room shooting bad guy stuff.

On the point about MGS though, how many of you really think that you could take to snake riding a skate board? For me it would just be bang out weird and i would probably not like it.
Wed 29/05/02 at 14:35
Regular
I probably play more mokkey billiards and monkey fight than actual super monkey ball.

So which one is the mini game?
Tue 28/05/02 at 21:42
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
Great post there, Hercules. I like the convesation bit :D

To be honest, I think mini-games are the lazy way out. The developers can't think of any new ideas for the game, so they quickly whip up a minigame. Can't think of any new storylines? Just stick in a minigame instead. Much easier.

So, as you can tell, minigames don't really influence me to buy a game. However, what I do like the idea of is portable minigames. The visual memory on the Dreamcast, the one that Sony did (I've forgotten the name) but was only released in Japan. The GC to GBA adapter (although this one isn't as good, because it still needs to be hooked up to a GC, I believe, and is a lot more expensive). I like the idea of training characters, then using them in a game. It's a lot better then playing a quick, tacky game of tennis. The tennis and skateboarding games are going to feel cheap and tacky, afterall, if it was that good, they would make it a whole new game.

So, minigames are like all those fades and effects they have on camcorders. They're fun at first, they might pursuide you to buy it, but give it some time, and they'll be boring as hell.

But portable minigames? I like the idea of that. Just think, make Solid Snake stronger by excercising him through mini levels while you're in the car. The possiblities are endless. Your little memory card could be a whole new console.
Tue 28/05/02 at 18:48
Regular
Great post Hercules.

I think that mini games could signal one of two things. Developers could be trying to enhance our gaming experience, and in an effort to do that, are incorporating extras into games that provide variety and add longevity. Conversely, and particularly in the case of 'Tony Tennis' and 'Snakeboarding', it is a sign that maybe developers are running out of ideas, and are looking at cheap ways of attracting attention.
Tue 28/05/02 at 17:42
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Good post Herc!

Right, got to agree with Little Hobbo there, FF7 was probably the first game I played where the mini-games were a great bonus and enhanced the game immensley.

I can't comment on Tony Hawks and his tennis mini game as I've never played the game (yes I know it's in development, I meant the other TH games)

MGS...well to be truthful, I don't think I'll be purchasing another MGS game ever, MGS2 hasn't even been finished, bored with it and I really can't be bothered to go back to it.....expects huge backlash for that.

The real big game with loads of mini games in it has to be GTA3, complete the story mode and you've probably done about 50 - 55% of the game, that leaves a massive amount of additional gameplay still left in it, the rampages, unique jumps, hidden packages etc all add to this already spectacular game.

Yes I think the inclusion of the mini games should be looked at and developed by the err oh yeah developers more closely, Rockstar seem to have invested alot of time so I think it's about time some of the others bucked their ideas up and sorted out some more mini games for us players to taste ;D
Tue 28/05/02 at 12:02
Regular
"Wotz a Tagline...?"
I liked all the mini-games in FF7, especially ones like the snowboard. It really helps liven a game up.
Tue 28/05/02 at 08:18
Regular
"Hmmm....."
Mini-Games.

As games are being pushed further and further using todays technology, we are seeing improvements being thrown all over the place. Enhanced graphics, extra levels, better animations and so on. As the hardware provides the development team with the stuff, they give it to us. They bring a whole new life to a game. These updates to a game are what the fuss and hype is all about during the games early days. Hoards of gaming freaks running around the town in 'latest version' hysteria.

Games are turning into a series all the more and there is always a limit to what can be put into a series. Or is there? It only takes new ideas and thoughts to come up with something new to add but sometimes these ideas can't be imagined and so the series dies. If there is nothing else to add, there is no reason for the same thing to continue over and over again. People will get bored and will lose all interest in what used to be a much enjoyed past-time.

The things that are included in sequels. Graphics, there has to be a limit somewhere down the line to how good these graphics can get on a certain format. But, a quick polish and a little facelift are always a nice thing to see in the newest games. Extra levels are great. They give you some extra time and value to what you have paid for. They can also introduce something to show how or why something happened in a previous game. Better animations are a treat to the eyes. They just look nicer and add the the overall presentation of the game. New storylines and new characters are big improvements to a game. Sometimes the characters and the storylines are too boring and dont have the gamer entertained. New storylines and characters can pick up where was left off but can give an explanation of some kind or something along those lines.

More recently, we have been seeing games include something different and 'new' which seems to be the developers 'latest craze'. Introducing Mini-Games! Games inside games. Now that can't be bad can it? Of course not. These things can add so much to the overall replay value and are something to give you a little rest away from concentrating on the main game. They are just for the sheer fun basically.

Super Monkey Ball, Metal Gear Solid Substance and Tony Hawks 4 are some examples of those games which include these new mini-games.

Super Monkey Ball with monkey fighting, monkey target, monkey billiards and everything monkey business. All great ways to entertain a few gamers.

Metal Gear Solid with Snake-Boarding. What should we think about this? At least we won't have everyone moaning about watching a movie again. Or maybe we will........
"Snake, Snake!......."
"Yes, Colonel, im here"
"Turn the console off Snake......... you've been kick-flipping too much!"
"What the....".
"Otacon!, the Colonel is acting weird! Whats wrong with him?"
"I dont know Snake......."
"Ok, Otacon, what is my status?"
"You're approaching the half-pipe......... use the left shoulder button to access...."

Ahem. Yeah, definately had enough of that.......

And now, Tony Hawks 4 with "Tony Tennis" and some others not mentioned yet. Dont believe me? Do your research. Players will be able to use thier boards as rackets to have a set of ball-smashing action!. One of the environments on the game will have the courts so why not serve up an ace or two? Sounds fun.

And so, are these mini-games bringing a whole new life to the games which may be lacking some other improvements? Are the developers running out of ideas to bring something else new to the game which doesn't sway of the games design course? Or, are these mini-games something that will provide many hours of gaming satisfaction knowing full well that they have nothing in comparison to what the game is all about?

For me, these mini-games will, infact, bring something new, fun and exciting to a game which may not be able to bring anything else new (except improved graphics etc) to us. But, although they may be fun and everything, it could be seen as a hint meaning that the developers have actually run out of ideas and can't come up with something new, thus bringing a sad and unfortunate end to a series we love so much. It is possible, but not definate.

Mini-games? Or no mini-games? That is the question.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.