GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Soaps - -> Games?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 27/05/02 at 13:32
Regular
Let’s face it – game developers are running out of ideas. We’ve had just about every type of game you can imagine, and the most recent trend has been for imagination-starved developers to acquire film licences. Even though game versions of The Thing, Spiderman, and Star Wars etc are on the way, they hardly inspire great confidence do they? Superman on N64 was laughable, and bar Jedi Knight 2, and a few others, the Star War games have been utter pap. What we need is a new source of games…

Fortunately, an idea has spring into my head. In a temporary moment of weakness/utter stupidity, I watch the British Soap Awards last Wednesday. I got thinking, and realised that soap operas are a veritable goldmine of recognisable locations, memorable (lol) characters and ‘personalities’. With just about every avenue of idea sources already explored, soaps are just stored potential just waiting to be untapped. So here are a few I came up with, loosely based around existing franchises…

CORONATION STREETS OF RAGE™

Very) loosely based on Sega’s excellent Streets of Rage series, comes Coronation Streets of Rage! A side scrolling beat ‘em up, you control a renegade gang of old Coronation Street stars, raging at the young upstarts who make an awful racket and stick chewing gum in between the cobbles in the road. Controllable characters include Norris, armed with an assortment of rolled up magazines and out of date sweets from ‘The Kabin’, Blanche and Deirdre, who use their massive glasses for X Ray Vision (enemies can also be taken out with Deirdre’s uncontrollable neck spasms). Unlockable characters include Rita and a returning Mavis. You must take out character like Rosie, Sophie, Tyrone etc until you face the main boss, the unbelievably ugly Fizz Brown, who in a repeat of her stunt before, is threatening to…ahem…expose herself in the street, thus rendering the entire world in blindness. Stop this dastardly plot now!

SERIOUS SAM DINGLE™

You’ve played Serious Sam before, but were was the passion? The motive? The sheep? Thankfully this has been rectified in the latest instalment. In this first person shoot ‘em up; you control Sam Dingle, the village idiot who, after years of mistreatment, torment and abuse, has decided to get serious and wreak havoc on the people that have made his life a living hell! Armed with a couple of twigs he tied together in string, a dead sheep’s head and a variety of other similarly devastating weapons, you must destroy Emmerdale Village, wasting the Woolpack and eliminating people like Eric and Betty. But beware, as they are equally well equipped. Power ups will aid your quest, pints of beer rejuvenating your health and elastic bands to hold your oh-so-unfashionable woolly hat on you noggin, protecting you from unexpected cowpats. Help is available from the other Dingles – all except one…Cain, your main adversary! Take out the inhabitants of Emmerdale farm and face Cain to get your vengeance!

EASTENDERS: THE FIGHT FOR SUPREMACY™

Based on the popular 3D strategy game ‘Commandos’ comes Eastenders: Fight for Supremacy. The battleground? Albert Square. You control one of two factions, the Mitchell’s or the Fowlers, as you try and gain supremacy for the control of Albert Square. As we know, this war has been fought on many fronts for ages, but it is time to settle this feud once and for all. Arenas that are playable as standard include good ol’ Albert Square, the allotments and, as an unlockable extra, Manchester, where the characters of yesteryear battle it out for further fame in music or film (but that’s being saved for the sequel). From your base of the Queen Vic for the Mitchell’s, and the Fowler family home for Mark, Pauline and Co., you must try and take each other out. Characters can be hired to join your team, for example Barry to steamroller the opposition by sitting on them, Dot to bore them to death, or Ian Beale to scare them to death with his latest haircut. Whoever you chose, supremacy is the aim, so assemble you motley crew of misfits and get fighting!

RAMSAY STREET FIGHTER 3D™

In the last but certainly not least of our Soap/Game hybrids, we have Ramsay Street Fighter 3D, based on everyone’s favourite Aussie, Neighbours! But whereas in the daytime soap ‘good neighbours become good friends’, the game version is somewhat different, as they fight, scrap, and generally beat the hell out of each over in this amazing beat ‘em up! There is a variety of your favourite characters to pay as, such as Harold Bishop, Joe Scully, Libby and Drew, Lou Carpenter, and a few returning favourites such as secret characters the Mangel family and Helen Daniels, as well as many more. As for the environments, there are too many to mention – the Coffee Shop, Lou’s Place, the Surgery, in the actual street, all fully interactive. Experience a different side of Neighbours in this superb street fighting game.

And that’s it! I’m sure there are many, many more you guys can think of, so how about it? Can you think of any more soaps that can be turned into games?

Thanks for reading
Wed 29/05/02 at 16:45
Regular
"Hmmm....."
Well done Russ.
:)
Wed 29/05/02 at 12:31
Regular
"  "
brad@specialreserve wrote:
> Rah, next person that asks that is going to get a slap in the face
> with a frying pan ;)
>
> Yes, I won before I was a staff member (For a pretty poor review may I
> add )

Yer u were Incubus coz i researched coz i thought the same :D
Wed 29/05/02 at 12:28
Regular
"  "
welldone on the GAD.

How about.... Crossroad Rash™
Tue 28/05/02 at 18:18
Regular
Thanks for ruining my thread Vakara, just the sort of rubbish we need less of.
Tue 28/05/02 at 16:43
Rah, next person that asks that is going to get a slap in the face with a frying pan ;)

Yes, I won before I was a staff member (For a pretty poor review may I add )
Tue 28/05/02 at 16:41
Regular
Good Post RM18, I thought it was pretty cool apart from the JAT spamming it was good.

P.S. Brad@SpecialReserve how come you have won GAD as i didn't think Staff Members were allowed to Win It's probably that you were on SR before you got a job or something i was just wondering.
Tue 28/05/02 at 16:34
Even when you * words out, it's still pretty obvious what you mean and can be offensive.

Please keep it to a minimum.
Tue 28/05/02 at 15:49
Regular
"Bobba you"
Vakara wrote:
> i will never get final fantasy 10

Hmmmm.. what about bday xmas and why dont you save up! And what has this got to do with this post?
Tue 28/05/02 at 15:22
Regular
Sgt Pepper wrote:
> why would you want to make a game about soaps?
>
> Who would want to play a game about washing your hands?
>
> tsk.

Did you actually read it?
Tue 28/05/02 at 07:05
Regular
Sorry you feel that way. I was just a little taken aback at how much you wrote, that's all.

And P.S. GAD isn't based on how many words you write, btw, but the quality. Look at the actual rules for info.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.