GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I, Consumer"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 27/05/02 at 09:16
Regular
I am a consumer. I know my rights. I know where I stand.

I am a consumer, and as a consumer, I have my preferences, my loyalties, my demands. I work a good working week, which pulls in the money I need to buy what I want. The money I earn buys me choices, and I make those choices for the better of myself, and those around me. I buy VCRs, DVD players, TVs, Fridge Freezers and anything else that I need, or that I want, that I can afford.

I buy a Nintendo. Not just to entertain myself, but also my girlfriend, my friends, even my family. I buy a Nintendo because I have confidence in Nintendo products. I trust that my purchase will be a wise one. Because I trust the Nintendo product, I am also offering the company my continuing support by buying their product. I like Nintendo's products, and I want them to do well. By buying them, I help achieve this goal. I help Nintendo.

The world sees things differently.

From the outside looking in, I, consumer, don't exist as a person. I don't have individual thoughts, needs, demands. Instead, I am a part of a collective whole, known as a market share. I pledge my support to Nintendo, and purchase their merchandise, but if I didn't, would Nintendo suffer? I could see figures saying 10s of thousands of units sold, hundreds even millions of pounds of revenue earned. Were you to take one unit, and a few hundred pounds from those figures, no-one would notice. From the outide looking in, Nintendo don't even know I'm alive. They wouldn't even notice if I stopped buying their products.

But from the outside, things can look hazy.

From the inside looking out, I, consumer am a market force. I not only have my individual wants, I have some degree of control over the wants of others around me. My support for Nintendo isn't alone. As I spread the word of how satisfied I am with the merchandise, so I influence others to make similar purchases. My friends, my family, my work colleagues. All of these will hear my voice, all of these will listen, all of these can be swayed by a few slight words either way. Nintendo wouldn't notice a few hundred pounds of missed revenue, but would they miss a thousand? Ten thousand? More? From the inside looking out, I can control Nintendo's performance in the market to some degree, Nintendo HAVE to know I exist.

Nintendo have to know how to keep me happy, how to keep me interested in their products. If they do not, the damage is two fold, for I have my money to spend, and it will be spent, if not on Nintendo, then on someone else. Likely "someone else" is a direct competitor to Nintendo. Not only would Nintendo lose the part of the market share I provide them with, that market share would be taken by competition, and not just lost to the void.

I am the consumer, and it is I who Nintendo must please.
I am the consumer, and my choice counts.

I am the consumer, and I am King.

**(Nintendo is used here as an example...)
Mon 27/05/02 at 13:48
"Darkness, always"
Thanks for reading guys. I'm glad you decided to pick up on the consumer is king aspect, and not the fact that I said "Nintendo" about 30 times in that thread.

In today's market, with communication levels as they are, the way companies treat their customers can be the catalyst that makes or breaks them. The point about being able to influence family and friends etc is so more true when applied to the internet. These forums for instance, and excellent way to spread the word of what's hot and what's not.

There's no more room for faking it in the market. Companies either do or they die. We rule their proverbial world.
Mon 27/05/02 at 10:50
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Nice one, and I agree with what you are saying.
And despite what people think, Nintendo still have many many fans worldwide, even if the PS2 or PS sells better. This is proven by the fact that Nintendo are still a big name today, just like they were 10 years ago.
Without all these people choosing to buy their goods, they'd soon fail like Sega somehow did with the Saturn and Dreamcast.

Apparently it was all down to money with Sega's failure, but the games and console were very much appreciated by the many fans that stood strong with them, but it seems too many 'Segas' were going elsewhere - to the top-selling PSX perhaps?

Sega are still going today because of all the great feedback they've recieved from their games, more so than their more recent consoles.
And that is why they've decided to keep on bringing out the Crazy Taxi's and Shenmue's, and not the Dreamcast 2's or anything.
Mon 27/05/02 at 10:37
Regular
"Wotz a Tagline...?"
Yes indeed. Good post IB. Consumers make campanies what they are. Without consumers like us, Microsoft wouldn't exist.
Mon 27/05/02 at 10:36
Regular
"bearded n dangerous"
I agree. When I buy a GC, I want Shigsy to come round and tidy my flat, cook me tea, and take the rubbish out.

THAT would taking care of the individual consumer.

Nice post though.
Mon 27/05/02 at 09:16
"Darkness, always"
I am a consumer. I know my rights. I know where I stand.

I am a consumer, and as a consumer, I have my preferences, my loyalties, my demands. I work a good working week, which pulls in the money I need to buy what I want. The money I earn buys me choices, and I make those choices for the better of myself, and those around me. I buy VCRs, DVD players, TVs, Fridge Freezers and anything else that I need, or that I want, that I can afford.

I buy a Nintendo. Not just to entertain myself, but also my girlfriend, my friends, even my family. I buy a Nintendo because I have confidence in Nintendo products. I trust that my purchase will be a wise one. Because I trust the Nintendo product, I am also offering the company my continuing support by buying their product. I like Nintendo's products, and I want them to do well. By buying them, I help achieve this goal. I help Nintendo.

The world sees things differently.

From the outside looking in, I, consumer, don't exist as a person. I don't have individual thoughts, needs, demands. Instead, I am a part of a collective whole, known as a market share. I pledge my support to Nintendo, and purchase their merchandise, but if I didn't, would Nintendo suffer? I could see figures saying 10s of thousands of units sold, hundreds even millions of pounds of revenue earned. Were you to take one unit, and a few hundred pounds from those figures, no-one would notice. From the outide looking in, Nintendo don't even know I'm alive. They wouldn't even notice if I stopped buying their products.

But from the outside, things can look hazy.

From the inside looking out, I, consumer am a market force. I not only have my individual wants, I have some degree of control over the wants of others around me. My support for Nintendo isn't alone. As I spread the word of how satisfied I am with the merchandise, so I influence others to make similar purchases. My friends, my family, my work colleagues. All of these will hear my voice, all of these will listen, all of these can be swayed by a few slight words either way. Nintendo wouldn't notice a few hundred pounds of missed revenue, but would they miss a thousand? Ten thousand? More? From the inside looking out, I can control Nintendo's performance in the market to some degree, Nintendo HAVE to know I exist.

Nintendo have to know how to keep me happy, how to keep me interested in their products. If they do not, the damage is two fold, for I have my money to spend, and it will be spent, if not on Nintendo, then on someone else. Likely "someone else" is a direct competitor to Nintendo. Not only would Nintendo lose the part of the market share I provide them with, that market share would be taken by competition, and not just lost to the void.

I am the consumer, and it is I who Nintendo must please.
I am the consumer, and my choice counts.

I am the consumer, and I am King.

**(Nintendo is used here as an example...)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.