GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What inspires the developers?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 24/05/02 at 09:27
Regular
At the moment we can’t get enough of computer games. We want to know what is coming out in a year’s time, how small the next batch of new consoles is going to be, whether they play DVD’s and connect to the Internet. We want to know everything there is to do with the gaming world. We are getting greedy, but that’s not a bad thing it just means we are widening out gaming vision and venturing into different genres. We are spoilt for choice. I don’t think I can ever say ‘nothing good is out at the moment’. When people make stupid comments such as ‘FFX sucks’ then they obviously don’t really think about the statement they are saying. They are implying that FFX is a bad game, which it obviously is not. It’s just not the game for them, lots of work goes into these games, but where does it all begin?

The numbers of games are increasing in numbers dramatically; as new consoles come out we can expect at least 150 titles to be out on each one. This is great for us gamers because there is an even wider market of games. We will never be able to buy all these games (unless we are loaded) so its great we have a wide range to choose from. Most of the games are very different, people have thought up these games and then spent lots of time developing them. Where do the makers of these fantastic games get their inspiration to create characters such as Mario?

The world as we know it is full of material things and will eventually be packed full of man-made objects. Some artists walk around the countryside and get inspiration from nature. Where would you get the inspiration to create a character such as Crash Bandicoot? Did they sit their drinking orange juice, and looking through an animal book and suddenly *pop* they started work on the now loved Crash Bandicoot series. Maybe the makers were on holiday, visiting a zoo whilst happily munching on a banana when *wham* out of the blue a monkey came rolling out of its cage in a large hamster wheel! Could it be that the makers of Sonic the Hedgehog were one day strolling round the public footpaths in the countryside, when a cute little hedgehog suddenly zoomed along the footpath?

When I am looking for inspiration I usually turn to listening to music and usually my ideas develop from there. Maybe the makers of Rez were listening to some funky music and decided that it would be amazing if a game were based around music. It would be great if the makers of all these great games got together and wrote a book about where they get their inspiration. This would help the future generation of developers to make top class games that are out now.

What do you think inspired the makers of Donkey Kong, Yoshi, and Wario? If you were or even if you are, where would/do you get your inspiration to create such famous characters?

Thanks for reading :)
Fri 24/05/02 at 11:47
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
I admire the way developers can take a simple concept and evolve that idea, by turning it into something a player can enjoy.

Titles such as; Super Monkey Ball, Pikmin, Rez etc. All games based on a basic ethos, that a developer has taken that idea from and built the game in their vision.

More often than not, it's these "simple" games that prove to be the most rewarding.
Fri 24/05/02 at 11:31
"Darkness, always"
Everyone gets their inspiration in different ways. It's reputed that Mr Nintendo himself got the inspiration for Mario from a plumber he met in America, though I don't think he was Italian.

Inspiration can come from anywhere. Have you ever been sat staring into a mug of coffee and had your mind wander onto just about anything? Imagining you half spider, half baboon, and saving the world from rogue flowerpots or something? Maybe that one is just me, but then, inspiration is very individual. Who can say how someone else's mind works?

Nice topic though.
Fri 24/05/02 at 10:50
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Excellent, excellent topic (why is it not in prime?!).

Concerning the last paragraph about game designers writting books, an ever increasing number of designers are having biographies written about them. A couple of month back a book about Yu Suzuki (the man behind classics like the Virtua Fighter Series, F355 and lots of other driving games, and the Shenmue series) was released that talks about the development of his first 5 games- it even came with copies of the games (for the DC I think).

Unfortunately I don't know whether it'll ever come out over here though.

Certainly books like this are interesting, but they will never allow people to make original titles- it's just a gift I guess. You could read every development biography ever, and never think of an idea like Rez- it's just natural talent.

Good post!

Sonic
Fri 24/05/02 at 10:39
Regular
"cant think of one.."
**Kerrang!** wrote:
> Can I get some feedback on this please :)

I thought it was quite good. :)
Fri 24/05/02 at 10:36
Regular
"**I'm Disposable**"
*POP*
Can I get some feedback on this please :)
Thanks
Fri 24/05/02 at 09:27
Regular
"**I'm Disposable**"
At the moment we can’t get enough of computer games. We want to know what is coming out in a year’s time, how small the next batch of new consoles is going to be, whether they play DVD’s and connect to the Internet. We want to know everything there is to do with the gaming world. We are getting greedy, but that’s not a bad thing it just means we are widening out gaming vision and venturing into different genres. We are spoilt for choice. I don’t think I can ever say ‘nothing good is out at the moment’. When people make stupid comments such as ‘FFX sucks’ then they obviously don’t really think about the statement they are saying. They are implying that FFX is a bad game, which it obviously is not. It’s just not the game for them, lots of work goes into these games, but where does it all begin?

The numbers of games are increasing in numbers dramatically; as new consoles come out we can expect at least 150 titles to be out on each one. This is great for us gamers because there is an even wider market of games. We will never be able to buy all these games (unless we are loaded) so its great we have a wide range to choose from. Most of the games are very different, people have thought up these games and then spent lots of time developing them. Where do the makers of these fantastic games get their inspiration to create characters such as Mario?

The world as we know it is full of material things and will eventually be packed full of man-made objects. Some artists walk around the countryside and get inspiration from nature. Where would you get the inspiration to create a character such as Crash Bandicoot? Did they sit their drinking orange juice, and looking through an animal book and suddenly *pop* they started work on the now loved Crash Bandicoot series. Maybe the makers were on holiday, visiting a zoo whilst happily munching on a banana when *wham* out of the blue a monkey came rolling out of its cage in a large hamster wheel! Could it be that the makers of Sonic the Hedgehog were one day strolling round the public footpaths in the countryside, when a cute little hedgehog suddenly zoomed along the footpath?

When I am looking for inspiration I usually turn to listening to music and usually my ideas develop from there. Maybe the makers of Rez were listening to some funky music and decided that it would be amazing if a game were based around music. It would be great if the makers of all these great games got together and wrote a book about where they get their inspiration. This would help the future generation of developers to make top class games that are out now.

What do you think inspired the makers of Donkey Kong, Yoshi, and Wario? If you were or even if you are, where would/do you get your inspiration to create such famous characters?

Thanks for reading :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.