GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why some great games just don't sell and why some awful ones do!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 27/10/00 at 21:54
Regular
I've got a game idea but seeing as I'm going to work for Rare, I'd better keep it too myself for now incase someone steals all the original ideas.
Also, following in Rare's/Nintendo's style, I'm going to hype it up a year before it's release to a point where everyone is over excited about it. Then when it's finally released, people will play it and think: THAT'S IT?

OR I might manage to make a good job of the game and in that case it will be probably shoved aside due to some Pokemon game that Nintendo are releasing and as a result have no marketing meaning that despite being a far better game, it will be over looked by a Pokemon cash in.

I like the gameboy pokemon (red and blue) but Pokemon Stadium and Pokemon snap shouldn't have sold as well as they did releying on the popularity of pokemon rather than the games themselves.
And pokemon yellow should NOT have outsold Perfect Dark. Most people already had Red and Blue and there's no doubt that most of them were idiots who bought the game again to either see it in colour or (and this is beyond reason) to have Pikachu following ash around as they go. It's a real shame!
Pokemon Gold/Silver and Pokemon Pinball don't seem too bad though.
Sat 28/10/00 at 20:41
Regular
I'm hoping to work for Rare. If they don't accept me for some reason then they're the ones who'll miss out (I think).

Who knows, I might've even grown up by then and work for microsoft!
Sat 28/10/00 at 19:47
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Were you serious when you said you were going to work for Rare, or is it your ambition.

The reason I ask is because I tried to do work experience there, at Code masters, at Blitz games and at GBH- none of which offer it! Seeing as I do actually want to join the industry, wouldn't it be a good idea for companies to offer work experience? I know they're busy, but even MPs do it!

Rav
Sat 28/10/00 at 14:28
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
All you have to do is create a game like Pokemon and your in the money lol Once you have your foundation to work on, you can then work on the con implements ;-))
Because the early Pokemon idea took off big time Nintendo can now milk it of everything it can with such games like Pokemon er Purple ! The only edition that you can catch a Pikachu with spots rather than stripes ! I think the biggest milking of a game ever has to be the Street fighter series. Its like every few months it was another edition of street fighter 2, BUT, IMPROVED ! Chun Li now has a fireball and can no longer see her feet because we've extended her chest out that few more feet ! Lets face it breasts sell everything in the games world ! I've been to a few video games shows like the old gamesmaster ones and the trade show ones. And anyone who hasn't been to one let me tell you - you will never see more girls in revealing costumes holding crap games in their hands at any other time ! Sometimes i wait for the day that store orders come complete with a model girl to stand in an area of the shop (complete with swimsuit having no relevance to the game)and hold the new release in her hands and carressing the case in an attempt to get drooling guys to come and buy it. Unfortunatly, as stupid as that sounds it seems to work at games shows. These girls make a large number of attendees (all male of course ;-) ) lose their common sense glands just long enough to purchase a game they wouldn't touch with a barge pole anywhere outside the show ! Obviously games companies realise this and so in come the female characters with huge chests that most real girls wouldn't be able to stand up straight with if faced with the same situation. I think Tomb Raider is a good example of this. Personally i'm not a very big fan of that series. I played the first game at my cousins house. Shrugging off the appeal of a girl with triangle like boobs i actually found the game pretty boring. I was expecting a bit more action what with all the hype. Afterall, its like a female Indiana Jones style game. I found myself wondering round boring maze style puzzles with very little action to keep me on the edge of my seat. When i think of Indiana Jones i think of action and adventure, when i think of Tomb Raider, i think of a girl who can't see her feet for obvious reasons - but hey, they've sorted out the triangle boobs thing now so that should increase sales ! Lets face it, if Lara Croft was an overweight unattractive looking character would the game of sold nearly as many copies ? I doubt it ! Even reducing her bra size to an A or B would have done the sales damage ! ;-))
And there you have it. If you want to make money, make sure you have characters that can be milked with new moves or novalties to keep the kids pouring in OR alternatively you can create a lead female character with a chest that out stretches her arms !
Fri 27/10/00 at 21:54
Regular
I've got a game idea but seeing as I'm going to work for Rare, I'd better keep it too myself for now incase someone steals all the original ideas.
Also, following in Rare's/Nintendo's style, I'm going to hype it up a year before it's release to a point where everyone is over excited about it. Then when it's finally released, people will play it and think: THAT'S IT?

OR I might manage to make a good job of the game and in that case it will be probably shoved aside due to some Pokemon game that Nintendo are releasing and as a result have no marketing meaning that despite being a far better game, it will be over looked by a Pokemon cash in.

I like the gameboy pokemon (red and blue) but Pokemon Stadium and Pokemon snap shouldn't have sold as well as they did releying on the popularity of pokemon rather than the games themselves.
And pokemon yellow should NOT have outsold Perfect Dark. Most people already had Red and Blue and there's no doubt that most of them were idiots who bought the game again to either see it in colour or (and this is beyond reason) to have Pikachu following ash around as they go. It's a real shame!
Pokemon Gold/Silver and Pokemon Pinball don't seem too bad though.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.