GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Mums and Gaming"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 21/05/02 at 10:21
Regular
Lets face it, Mums and games don’t mix. We all have mums, and most of us love them. They give us money, give us food, and look after us. So naturally we are thankful. When it comes to games however, we have to draw the line at the point where they purchase a console. That’s as far as it goes. They may purchase the console for a birthday present or something, give us money towards a game or a console, however as soon as that game or console is in your possession they must not be allowed anywhere near it. Why? Because Mums just don’t understand games.

Familiar quote number one “Don’t sit so close it will ruin your eyes” and those who have glasses will be familiar with the phrase “your eye sight keeps getting worse and it’s because you sit so close to the computer!” When will mothers learn that computers do not damage your eyesight? The only thing they do to them (if anything) is make your eyes tired. I was lucky enough to have support for my argument from a professional. In my last trip to the opticians my mother asked the optician “It’s because he’s on that computer all the time isn’t it?” to which my now favourite optician in the whole world said “No.” Oh yeh, and a friend who uses the computer about the same as me as been told by his optician that his eyesight is amazing and he should put it to use and be an airline pilot. Nevertheless she still moans about my eyesight. Even professionals can’t change her mind… oh dear.

Familiar quote number 2 is “Dinner!” Why do mums ALWAYS time dinner so it coincides with an important part of a game? For example, you may have finally got to a boss and then it’s time for dinner. When you play a game, you notice you eventually get good at it, and what dinner can do is lose this good concentration and gaming ability you have. You come back and you are no longer good. You die and have to start again. And dinner always seems to be at a very inconvenient time to me, especially with television programmes… but that’s another topic.

Familiar action number one. Your mum goes for the power switch and switches off your game in anger that you have not done something she wants you to. You haven’t hoovered when she asked you to, your dinners getting cold… etcetera, etcetera… And when they do this, it’s not straight after a saved game point, it happens to coincide with the level/area/mission you were struggling the most on, and were just about to succeed or just had succeeded in completing, and hadn’t got a chance to save. My earliest game memory involves my mother, and her bad understanding of how games worse. Back in my childhood, their bad understanding was at its peak. With saving being a feature of only a few amounts of games, games were vulnerable to mums more than ever. I remember playing Sonic the Hedgehog on the Gamegear in a car on a long journey (through that lighter socket for cigarettes). I had finally for the first time ever got to the final level – a big showdown with Robotnik and some laser beams coming from the ceiling. What happened? My mum decided to stop the car for a “break”. I explained I didn’t want a break while my game was paused, but she explained I had no choice. Then to a six year olds horror, she turned off the game. I never got back to that level. Never. I could even get close. I never ever saw the ending for Sonic 1 on the Game gear… I’m sure you’ve been in that situation before that split moment where the game was turned off, frantically trying to explain how important this level is to you, but the mothers always seem to think it is not important at all.

They just really don’t understand. Maybe they didn’t grow up in a time where computer games were a big part of children’s lives, however some understanding would be nice. Hopefully, mums will now grow up understanding how games work, what they mean to people and so on.

Here’s to the mothers of the future (sorry about the rip off Dringo).
Tue 21/05/02 at 10:21
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
Lets face it, Mums and games don’t mix. We all have mums, and most of us love them. They give us money, give us food, and look after us. So naturally we are thankful. When it comes to games however, we have to draw the line at the point where they purchase a console. That’s as far as it goes. They may purchase the console for a birthday present or something, give us money towards a game or a console, however as soon as that game or console is in your possession they must not be allowed anywhere near it. Why? Because Mums just don’t understand games.

Familiar quote number one “Don’t sit so close it will ruin your eyes” and those who have glasses will be familiar with the phrase “your eye sight keeps getting worse and it’s because you sit so close to the computer!” When will mothers learn that computers do not damage your eyesight? The only thing they do to them (if anything) is make your eyes tired. I was lucky enough to have support for my argument from a professional. In my last trip to the opticians my mother asked the optician “It’s because he’s on that computer all the time isn’t it?” to which my now favourite optician in the whole world said “No.” Oh yeh, and a friend who uses the computer about the same as me as been told by his optician that his eyesight is amazing and he should put it to use and be an airline pilot. Nevertheless she still moans about my eyesight. Even professionals can’t change her mind… oh dear.

Familiar quote number 2 is “Dinner!” Why do mums ALWAYS time dinner so it coincides with an important part of a game? For example, you may have finally got to a boss and then it’s time for dinner. When you play a game, you notice you eventually get good at it, and what dinner can do is lose this good concentration and gaming ability you have. You come back and you are no longer good. You die and have to start again. And dinner always seems to be at a very inconvenient time to me, especially with television programmes… but that’s another topic.

Familiar action number one. Your mum goes for the power switch and switches off your game in anger that you have not done something she wants you to. You haven’t hoovered when she asked you to, your dinners getting cold… etcetera, etcetera… And when they do this, it’s not straight after a saved game point, it happens to coincide with the level/area/mission you were struggling the most on, and were just about to succeed or just had succeeded in completing, and hadn’t got a chance to save. My earliest game memory involves my mother, and her bad understanding of how games worse. Back in my childhood, their bad understanding was at its peak. With saving being a feature of only a few amounts of games, games were vulnerable to mums more than ever. I remember playing Sonic the Hedgehog on the Gamegear in a car on a long journey (through that lighter socket for cigarettes). I had finally for the first time ever got to the final level – a big showdown with Robotnik and some laser beams coming from the ceiling. What happened? My mum decided to stop the car for a “break”. I explained I didn’t want a break while my game was paused, but she explained I had no choice. Then to a six year olds horror, she turned off the game. I never got back to that level. Never. I could even get close. I never ever saw the ending for Sonic 1 on the Game gear… I’m sure you’ve been in that situation before that split moment where the game was turned off, frantically trying to explain how important this level is to you, but the mothers always seem to think it is not important at all.

They just really don’t understand. Maybe they didn’t grow up in a time where computer games were a big part of children’s lives, however some understanding would be nice. Hopefully, mums will now grow up understanding how games work, what they mean to people and so on.

Here’s to the mothers of the future (sorry about the rip off Dringo).
Tue 21/05/02 at 11:00
Regular
"Well hit on me..."
Mums really are the bane of gaming.

However in opposition to this they can also be one of the funniest things in gamiong.

How???, easy... Convince your mum to have a go.

You think that you get frustrated, watch your mum. Most think that videogames involve no skill whatsoever, just tapping buttons and moving that 'mushroom looking thing' as my mum puts it.

However when they find out that it does involve skill and concentration, they are shocked.

The look of horror on my mums face after playing Tony Hawk's 3 for five minutes was evident. She was finding it hard to ollie the board (as she kept landing sideways), and I was cracking up.

This made her even more determined to do something, so after careful tuition of an hour, she was grinding as only a mum can.

Im 19, so I have seen my mum in this state many a time. Probably the most memerable was Tetris, which at 8 I beat her everytime on a two player. She then spent half an hour to an hour a day polishing her skills, until she was actually a challenge for me.

I think mums are frustrated by games consoles, they take time away from them, and to be honest, most of us are far better than our mums will ever be a videogames.

My mum is currently on the Loa Angeles stage of Tony Hawk's now.

NB... Never introduce mums to games which require knowledge, such as Who wants to be a millionaire 2. She found the disk when I was at work one day, and was the first person to get a million on my game, and she still sits prodly at the top of the scoreboard (Im sure she cheated).
Tue 21/05/02 at 11:03
Regular
"Wotz a Tagline...?"
That is one of the best posts I have read in a long while. You are dot-on there Rakuga, the amount of times I have felt that extreme annoyance at mums non-comprehension of the importance of our position in a game. I am trying to influence her slowly mind you, with a subtle mix of colouful games such as worms. Might work. Nice post anyway, well done.
Tue 21/05/02 at 17:00
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
Little Hobbo wrote:
> That is one of the best posts I have read in a long while. You are
> dot-on there Rakuga, the amount of times I have felt that extreme
> annoyance at mums non-comprehension of the importance of our position
> in a game. I am trying to influence her slowly mind you, with a
> subtle mix of colouful games such as worms. Might work. Nice post
> anyway, well done.

Heh the only game my mum has been good at was an adventure game, point and click, called "Ecoquest". She completed that.

I was also watching some family videos a while ago, and I noticed my mum was barking out orders to my grandparents about how to play Sonic on my Gamegear. What does she now about how to play Sonic! Heh. However it was quite funny watching the concentration on my grandparents faces as they tried to play Sonic the Hedgehog. Quality stuff. :D
Tue 21/05/02 at 17:49
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
I was gonna post my GAD attempt today, but after reading this, i'll wait until tomorrow!
I was also gonna do something similar to this; Old People and Games but no point now!

Good post.
Tue 21/05/02 at 18:37
Regular
"Brrrrr."
Mums and Gaming. Nope. Don't mix...
Tue 21/05/02 at 18:41
Regular
"Brrrrr."
Anyway, yeah! It's a good post!
Tue 21/05/02 at 18:50
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Heh, good one!

I disagree that mums and gaming don't mix, as my mum and many other peole's mums used to play games a lot - mainly in the NES days.

But you're so right when you about important gaming time ALWAYS being dinner time! Timed to the exact hundredth of a second!!
I experienced this the other day. I was playing Zelda: OoT and I got to the boss at the end of Death Mountain Crater. I hit him a few times and he was close to his end. The suddenly ***"DINNER!!!"*** echoes up the stairs and booms into my room, putting me in a bad mood! :@

But I was worse after i'd eaten. I rushed back upto Zelda and continued the battle. Problem was that I had basically lost it, and was failing miserably in my attempt to beat him! :(

But I got it after another 4 deaths or so.
Tue 21/05/02 at 20:51
Regular
My mum use to play on the SNES all the time, mainly Mario World, my auntie always used to play on Sonic on the Mega Drive. But my mum stopped playing games when we got a N 64 as she doesnt like the 3 D games.
Wed 22/05/02 at 09:49
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
Solskjær wrote:
> But you're so right when you about important gaming time ALWAYS being
> dinner time! Timed to the exact hundredth of a second!!
> I experienced this the other day. I was playing Zelda: OoT and I got
> to the boss at the end of Death Mountain Crater. I hit him a few times
> and he was close to his end. The suddenly ***"DINNER!!!"***
> echoes up the stairs and booms into my room, putting me in a bad mood!
> :@
>
> But I was worse after i'd eaten. I rushed back upto Zelda and
> continued the battle. Problem was that I had basically lost it, and
> was failing miserably in my attempt to beat him! :(

It's always the case... always the case. My mum likes interrupting me with dinner these days during an online game... sometimes clan ones. I can hardly pause can I?!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.