GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gaming Stress"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 20/05/02 at 15:09
Regular
Ever felt stressed by something? Ever decided that that homework that you were set is just too hard and that you should just take a break? Ever decided that the way to calm down is to play a game or two?

The thing is these days, is that many games just add to the problem of stress. Games that used to just be a bit of fun like the original 'Worms' are now turning into highly complex games that just add to the problems of people getting stressed.

Have you ever decided that you have had enough and just want to relax by playing a game or two? I tried this, I had got fed up of doing my coursework and decided to go and play a bit of South Park on the N64. I was in a bad mood after spending the whole day writing English work so anything could be more relaxing than carrying on working. I was on the last level of South Park, I had just reached the final boss and was in a fairly calm mood because I was having fun playing the game.

But then it happened....

I started the fight against the boss; all seemed well, I was throwing snowballs at the Mega-Mega man and taking down his energy. After using an array of weapons and managing to get his energy down low, I was thinking about how good it would be to complete another game. Suddenly he started to re-energize! Not believing what I am seeing, I get annoyed and start to shout at the TV while I am playing. To my horror, he does it again and I just can't kill him! I'm now at the point where I am really getting annoyed, he then re-energizes and kills me. With this I throw the controller as hard as I can against the floor, turn the N64 off and storm out of the room.

My point being, what once used to be a great way to calm down is now turning into a way to get extremely stressed. What happened to the days of an easy game of 'River Raid' on my old Atari system? Gliding down a 2D river shooting little blocks that are meant to be planes and helicopters was a great way to have fun and relax.

But now I find myself sitting down playing Worms World Party trying to become the 'Elite Worm'. I get to the last stage and out of nowhere, the computer pulls off a great shot and kills one of my worms. Annoyed by this, I try a shot and hit the computer dead on, but it doesn't hurt them much. With one worm left,on 1 health, the computer pulls a super shot which kills the rest of my team. Annoyed? You bet I am! I've spent ages playing this game and it's impossible to get past this level because of this stupid cheating computer.

I'm now stressed and on a warpath! I try to play Red Alert 2 but this only results in the computer cheating again and killing me off before I can even build one tank! In a bad mood, I hit the computer desk and shout at the top of my voice, "Stupid Computer!"

I just feel that games these days are becoming too stressful and complicated to play. What happened to the games that we could just sit down and play without a worry in our minds? It's great fun having all these tactical, logical, complicated and long games but I just want a game that I could sit down to and happily forget about everything that is happening around me.
Mon 20/05/02 at 15:09
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Ever felt stressed by something? Ever decided that that homework that you were set is just too hard and that you should just take a break? Ever decided that the way to calm down is to play a game or two?

The thing is these days, is that many games just add to the problem of stress. Games that used to just be a bit of fun like the original 'Worms' are now turning into highly complex games that just add to the problems of people getting stressed.

Have you ever decided that you have had enough and just want to relax by playing a game or two? I tried this, I had got fed up of doing my coursework and decided to go and play a bit of South Park on the N64. I was in a bad mood after spending the whole day writing English work so anything could be more relaxing than carrying on working. I was on the last level of South Park, I had just reached the final boss and was in a fairly calm mood because I was having fun playing the game.

But then it happened....

I started the fight against the boss; all seemed well, I was throwing snowballs at the Mega-Mega man and taking down his energy. After using an array of weapons and managing to get his energy down low, I was thinking about how good it would be to complete another game. Suddenly he started to re-energize! Not believing what I am seeing, I get annoyed and start to shout at the TV while I am playing. To my horror, he does it again and I just can't kill him! I'm now at the point where I am really getting annoyed, he then re-energizes and kills me. With this I throw the controller as hard as I can against the floor, turn the N64 off and storm out of the room.

My point being, what once used to be a great way to calm down is now turning into a way to get extremely stressed. What happened to the days of an easy game of 'River Raid' on my old Atari system? Gliding down a 2D river shooting little blocks that are meant to be planes and helicopters was a great way to have fun and relax.

But now I find myself sitting down playing Worms World Party trying to become the 'Elite Worm'. I get to the last stage and out of nowhere, the computer pulls off a great shot and kills one of my worms. Annoyed by this, I try a shot and hit the computer dead on, but it doesn't hurt them much. With one worm left,on 1 health, the computer pulls a super shot which kills the rest of my team. Annoyed? You bet I am! I've spent ages playing this game and it's impossible to get past this level because of this stupid cheating computer.

I'm now stressed and on a warpath! I try to play Red Alert 2 but this only results in the computer cheating again and killing me off before I can even build one tank! In a bad mood, I hit the computer desk and shout at the top of my voice, "Stupid Computer!"

I just feel that games these days are becoming too stressful and complicated to play. What happened to the games that we could just sit down and play without a worry in our minds? It's great fun having all these tactical, logical, complicated and long games but I just want a game that I could sit down to and happily forget about everything that is happening around me.
Mon 20/05/02 at 15:42
Regular
If you don't want to get stressed, avoid playing with bosses. Personally, I think Bosses should be banned. I hate them with a passion. Always contrived and always so bloody annoying.

I usually find that sports games are best for "gaming relaxation". Yes the quest is to win, but "within the concentration of attempting to win" the mind taken into the competition, and instead of being niggled by some pesky monster or boss, I always find that I can relax more by losing myself in the peaceful-war of it all.

*wonders if above answer is over-the-top.... decides it is and departs*
Mon 20/05/02 at 15:57
Regular
I know what you mean about the computer in Red Alert 2. It's even worse playing people online who seem to be able to build much faster...

Talking about online RA2, do you play online? If so join my Battle Clan if you like.

If you want details on how to join, email me at [email protected]. (it's just a team thing, nothing you have to stick to or anything)
Mon 20/05/02 at 22:46
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
I don't really play online anymore, I got DeeZire add on which doesn't allow me to play online. But it's sooo much better than the normal game!
Tue 21/05/02 at 05:33
Regular
"Brrrrr."
I am usually on the internet rather than playing games!
Tue 21/05/02 at 07:01
Regular
If you were stressed before, why play South Park???
Tue 21/05/02 at 11:10
Regular
"Wotz a Tagline...?"
If it makes you any happier there are no more difficulty levels past Elite on Worms World Party. Even if you win on Elite, you stay the same rank. Just a tidbit of brightness to relieve your stressed life a smidgen. :)
Tue 21/05/02 at 15:36
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
RM18 wrote:
> If you were stressed before, why play South Park???

It was OK playing all the levels for the first time with the cheats on!

Mega-Mega Man is the most annoying boss ever!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.