GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What makes a good game!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 26/10/00 at 23:46
Regular
Being a future Rare employee I need to know what makes a great game. I more or less know already but a few extra idea's won't go amiss.

1. Always make games FUN and PLAYABLE!
A good game must have smooth responsive controlls and must be fun to play (except for the last few levels which will drive gamers mad!)

2. Games have to last a long time!
You don't want to be finished with a game you paid £40 for in a week. Add longevity by Rare's tradition of earning cheats or adding harder difficuly levels

3. Include a multiplayer!
Goldeneye, Mario Kart, Perfect Dark! Need I say more? You might argue that some multiplayer games aren't quite up to scratch but even substandard multiplayer games such as Turok 2 and DK64 can be alot of fun and are well worth including. If you want an unforgettable classic though, a good multiplayer is near damn essential.

4. Try something new.
Goldeneye had loads of things that hadn't been done before which was partly why the solo mode was so good. Zelda's way of fighting hadn't been done before either. Trust me, originality pays off!

5. Lovely graphics are nice...
...but framerate comes first. Even Perfect Dark had framerate problems, sometimes in multiplayer (when you had 4players and 8 simulants). Developers should have a little program that dumbs down the graphics a bit when there's heated action so that the frame rate stays smooth.

6. Internet multiplay.
Not essential now but will be in a few years time. There's nothing like a good clan war!

7. Don't release a sequel for atleast 2 years.
That way there'll be better advances in technology and people will notice the difference. You'll also have room for more ideas. Sports games and beat em ups may change this minimum to 1 year.

8. Don't be afraid to delay.
The public will moan but not as much as they will if you deliver tham a rushed, bad game.

9. Try and get a good atmosphere will music, sfx and maybe a few cut scenes to keep a plot. Try to have a nice ending that makes all the trouble worthwhile too. NEVER let this be the MAIN proirity though! GAMEPLAY come FIRST!

10. Don't over hype your game or people are bound to be disappointed. Save the hype and advertising until the final copy has been made and it's going into production with no further delays. This cut's peoples long waits too.

If you have any ideas or think there's something I've missed then reply. If not then reply anyway...

...please...
Tue 31/10/00 at 00:02
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
But after all this, if you don't manage to string together a decent game containing all the important things that have been said here you can always chuck in a large breasted female as a main character and litter her all over the front of the packaging ;-))
Watch your sales sky rocket !!! ;-))
Mon 30/10/00 at 21:54
Regular
The single player is the first thing they do, and they will continue to fine-tune it into a classic game, take examples like Final Fantasy and Zelda they don't even need multiplayers.
Games like Goldeneye needed te muliplayer to make it classic game!
Yes Multiplayers are quite important but poor ones like Quake 3, never turn out great because of that.
A multiplayer based game needs to be only that, not a single player that they just popped in at the last minute!
I'd rather have a good single player than a Great Multiplayer.
Mon 30/10/00 at 21:36
Regular
I think that in many cases, the multiplayer is more important than the single player. It all depends on whether your friends have the same console/game as you.
Sat 28/10/00 at 15:38
Regular
Games need a good Single player mode!0
Every game has one, and that must be tweaked to be good.
Mulitplayer is the last thing they even need! Graphics don't need to be so crisp, and smooth as long as the games good! We don't need a overhaul of sound as long as it sounds okay, music doesn't matter much, gun sounds need to be made properly, so they don't sound like pea shooters.
The gameplay options need to be good, and playable. Gameplay like Superman needs a good ripping.
Controls are very important, you don't want to, bash your car into a car continiously or running in circles in a FPS. All that is what we need, RARE have managed to fit most of them in their games!
Fri 27/10/00 at 22:54
Regular
"Whatever!"
Sorry!!
Fri 27/10/00 at 22:53
Regular
"Whatever!"
Cant really think of anything that hasnt already been said. Gameplay must come over everything else. Doesnt matter how polished the graphics may be or how long and stunning FMV and cut scenes are, although seamless animation between game and movies is quite an important aspect. Im thinking along the lines of Res Evil Code Veronica. The cut scenes helped tell the story brilliantly and you wouldnt tell them apart from the in game graphics. If you mantain that sort of quality then there is no harm in 'movies' during games.
Gameplay must be enjoyable. I have played many games which are just to similar and repetitive. Original ideas must be accounted for.
After gameplay there must be a decent story line. Something that would make the gamer want to carry on throughout the course of it. Almost as important as directing a movie, dramatic turn of events, twists a plenty and a strong cast of characters.
Perhaps trying a new type of genre? Cant think of any ideas now what that might be though!!
Music isnt really that important although you dont want low res midi sound. Good sound effects and perhaps full speech considering what age of gaming we are in now, might make the game feel more special.
Long term play is a MUST to earn respect from punters purchasing your games. Every game should have a multi player option, perhaps an online mode - that seems to be the future of things, hidden extras, bonus levels. Perhaps a bit like Banjo Kazooie an extra game mode/level whatever covered until the sequel allows you to unlock it. This would almost definatley mean that people would want the sequel if its worth unlocking whatever the mode/level may be in the previous game.
Cant think of anythig else. Gameplay, story and long term play seems to be the most important aspects of a good game.
Fri 27/10/00 at 22:01
Regular
Edgy, you know what you're on about pretty well (please stop the "greystation" name calling though. There's just no need for it!)
Fri 27/10/00 at 10:04
Good games need:

A good story
Plenty of Gameplay
Less FMV
Quality
Atmosphere.

I don't usually look for any more in a game unless I'm told that the games have all this already.
Thu 26/10/00 at 23:46
Regular
Being a future Rare employee I need to know what makes a great game. I more or less know already but a few extra idea's won't go amiss.

1. Always make games FUN and PLAYABLE!
A good game must have smooth responsive controlls and must be fun to play (except for the last few levels which will drive gamers mad!)

2. Games have to last a long time!
You don't want to be finished with a game you paid £40 for in a week. Add longevity by Rare's tradition of earning cheats or adding harder difficuly levels

3. Include a multiplayer!
Goldeneye, Mario Kart, Perfect Dark! Need I say more? You might argue that some multiplayer games aren't quite up to scratch but even substandard multiplayer games such as Turok 2 and DK64 can be alot of fun and are well worth including. If you want an unforgettable classic though, a good multiplayer is near damn essential.

4. Try something new.
Goldeneye had loads of things that hadn't been done before which was partly why the solo mode was so good. Zelda's way of fighting hadn't been done before either. Trust me, originality pays off!

5. Lovely graphics are nice...
...but framerate comes first. Even Perfect Dark had framerate problems, sometimes in multiplayer (when you had 4players and 8 simulants). Developers should have a little program that dumbs down the graphics a bit when there's heated action so that the frame rate stays smooth.

6. Internet multiplay.
Not essential now but will be in a few years time. There's nothing like a good clan war!

7. Don't release a sequel for atleast 2 years.
That way there'll be better advances in technology and people will notice the difference. You'll also have room for more ideas. Sports games and beat em ups may change this minimum to 1 year.

8. Don't be afraid to delay.
The public will moan but not as much as they will if you deliver tham a rushed, bad game.

9. Try and get a good atmosphere will music, sfx and maybe a few cut scenes to keep a plot. Try to have a nice ending that makes all the trouble worthwhile too. NEVER let this be the MAIN proirity though! GAMEPLAY come FIRST!

10. Don't over hype your game or people are bound to be disappointed. Save the hype and advertising until the final copy has been made and it's going into production with no further delays. This cut's peoples long waits too.

If you have any ideas or think there's something I've missed then reply. If not then reply anyway...

...please...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.