GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Creationism vs Evoultion"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 29/02/08 at 18:22
Regular
"Mooching around"
I've been in a very long debate with a lot of people, over YouTube no less, about this.

Personally, I think the Young Earth Creationists are, for want of a nicer word, deluded. Obviously, they think anyone who doesn't think the Earth is 6000 years old is also deluded.

Their arguments stem from the theory of evoultion being created by the Devil and is a hoax, light from other galaxies is visible because God did it, Giants and Unicorns roamed the Earth before the flood (oh and dinosaurs too obviously), that around 4000 years ago their was a layer of water or ice surrounding the Earth that didn't fall down or melt because God made it and that the idea of the Big Bang is ridiculous and retarded.

Interesting points.

One good thing did come out from it though, it turns out I seem to follow a belief known as Deism. Though I haven't looked into it much myself.

Anyway, your comments?
Sun 02/03/08 at 13:39
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
I went to a C of E primary and secular secondary, I'll not go into detail, but basically the religious factor just meant several religion-based assemblies weekly, and staff getting upset at my "offensive" cartoon-esque drawing style, and as far as I'm convered without intent to offend there's no problem with that and they should let me have my own views.
Unfortunately, they weren't too happy with an 11 year-old having his own opinions and making them quite clear, as far as I saw it... it wasn't a matter of force, I think it was just that they didn't appreciate my sense of humour, aggressive football playing, tendency to fight with the little b****rds they failed to control, or habit of "Answering back" to provocative remarks they made in front of me!

Otherwise, I got a decent education, so it's no big deal. I'm agnostic/atheistic due to simply not believing or caring about such matters, not said experiences.

And secondary, no mention of religion in any scientific matters, in fact, none that I can recall at primary either. I guess that's a positive...
Sun 02/03/08 at 12:20
"Was the man of marz"
El Viking wrote:
> or the section on how no man with a genital injury can be
> part of a congregation.

Do they check you before hand pun intended. That sounds fairly purvey to me.

On a serious point, my experience of school was a little different. Primary (infants and juniors) was fairly religious, without any real force behind it. Secondary was when evolutionary theories where taught as if they where proven fact. I for one don't like it how it always seems the argument is about it being one or the other, when both have their merits.
Sun 02/03/08 at 12:04
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
The problem is the stubborness of Evangelicals, who to me seem a) scared of debate, and b) frighteningly convinced that they're absolutely correct. The Bible also states that it's fine to stone certain people to death, for example; i'd like to see them try to defend that one, or the section on how no man with a genital injury can be part of a congregation.

Check out the Brick Testament (Google it, can't be bothered to find it myself) to see the stranger parts of the Bible acted out in Lego.

This has come up again because of the issue of teaching Darwinism in schools in Texas, right? The Kansas Board of Education's fundamentalists were widely mocked for the "Intelligent Design" theory, giving birth to the Church of the Flying spaghetti Monster. You'd have thought things may have moved on since the Scopes Monkey Trial... and it resulted in a greatly interesting episode of Horizon

The US is a religious country, yes, I accept that, as well as the right of people to express such beliefs. But to teach what's essentially theology alongside scientific thought is, to me, ridiculous; if you don't agree with what you're taught in a school, you have every right to. (This is something that I had a bit of a problem with towards the end of Primary school as to their policy on how my style of drawing was "offensive", despite my intent and own views on the matter); anyway...

Ironic, isn't it? That in the UK there is an established church which 'aids' various schools and has several bishops sitting in the upper chamber of our legislature (even if they're powerless and I think by convention rarely vote, not since the Peoples' Budget crisis about 100 years ago?), yet unlike in the US, there are no calls for this sort of thing in secular schools. I think the whole blind faith thing can lead to some pretty outragerous behaviour; hell, those attempts at Constitutional amaendments on school prayers from back in the 90s were frankly quite frightening as a concept.
Sun 02/03/08 at 11:45
"Was the man of marz"
Bob_The_Moose wrote:
> there's your problem
>
> xkcd

Spot on, like family guy where also on this issue.

I would have linked to the youtube version but it had one of those stupid intros with a galling ending; here is what I am going to give you my fellow desensitised americans, and then, this was done by me apart from the fact I had nothing to do with the animation or capture and conversion.
Fri 29/02/08 at 20:13
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
Chaos wrote:
> I've been in a very long debate with a lot of people, over
> YouTube no less, about this.

there's your problem

xkcd

But yes I agree with you.
Fri 29/02/08 at 19:36
Regular
I swear we actually have man-monkey skeletons now?
Fri 29/02/08 at 19:34
"The DEPRESSOR"
make it shorter
Fri 29/02/08 at 19:05
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Chaos wrote:
> Their arguments stem from the theory of evoultion being created
> by the Devil

Darwin was a christian.
As for my own beliefs, theyre certainly not based on anything otherwordly. Probably divided between Nietzsche, Camus and Buddhism.
Deism? It's sort of the opposite of evangelical christianity. They believe in God based more on person reason than any supernatural nonsense or books. I guess they would be the sort of people who would cite evolution as just another part of the deus machina.
Fri 29/02/08 at 18:22
Regular
"Mooching around"
I've been in a very long debate with a lot of people, over YouTube no less, about this.

Personally, I think the Young Earth Creationists are, for want of a nicer word, deluded. Obviously, they think anyone who doesn't think the Earth is 6000 years old is also deluded.

Their arguments stem from the theory of evoultion being created by the Devil and is a hoax, light from other galaxies is visible because God did it, Giants and Unicorns roamed the Earth before the flood (oh and dinosaurs too obviously), that around 4000 years ago their was a layer of water or ice surrounding the Earth that didn't fall down or melt because God made it and that the idea of the Big Bang is ridiculous and retarded.

Interesting points.

One good thing did come out from it though, it turns out I seem to follow a belief known as Deism. Though I haven't looked into it much myself.

Anyway, your comments?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.