GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Who are the best? Sony, Sega or Nintendo?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 26/10/00 at 14:25
Regular
Just because I am a playstation owner I am not going to be biast towards the debate.
Thu 26/10/00 at 14:25
Just because I am a playstation owner I am not going to be biast towards the debate.
Thu 26/10/00 at 14:28
Sinclair! The makers of the ZX SPectrum!

Only joking....

"Nintyrules"
"Nintyrules"
"Nintyrules"
"Nintyrules"
"Nintyrules"
"Nintyrules"
Thu 26/10/00 at 14:39
Just because I am the owner of a playstation I am not going to be biast towards the debate.
In my view Sony have beaten their rivals in the big competition. As sony released their Playstation first they have always been a few steps ahead of Nintendo and have done just as well as Dreamcast.
To me dreamcast has been a big flop(sorry to all you Dreamcasters) as it hasn't rocketed the market, is too expensive, has crappy games(bar a few) and is no-where near beating sony or nintendo.
I think that sony has been more successful than dreamcast for several reasons. It has a wider and better range of games which are cheaper and of a higher standard. The games are much cheaper as are the rest of the many accessories playstation has. The controllers on the PSX are much easier to use and you don't exactly see Sony's games needing a stupid expansion pack to work.
However, could the release of the Gamecube and the PS2 change all this?
It seems possible, but with the PS2 being released so much earlier than the Gamecube, will Nintendo owners be loyal enough to wait? When the new playstation comes out the prices will be high, but Sony will be able to get away with it because they won't have any competition. By the time the Gamecube comes out the prices for the playstation would have gone down and the prices for the Gamecube will be right up.
Is the decision really that hard?
Thu 26/10/00 at 15:53
Remember the Playstation 2 is going to be priced at around £300 whereas the Gamecube is going to be £150

When the Playstation 2 drops in price it wont drop by much! I will wait for Gamecube as Nintendo are the best games company in the World!
Thu 26/10/00 at 16:59
Remember it is only rumoured that the gamecube is priced at £150. There just saying that so that people won't buy playstation 2 and wait for the gamecube, and then just before it comes out the price will be put right up.
Thu 26/10/00 at 17:41
Regular
It's pretty sad that Sega, will be pushed away by Sony's crazy hype. All the hype has already made people sell of their N64's and Dreamcast's just to get a console that's slightly superior.
Game Cube's release may be too late, for people to wait, people like me who wait, could get peer pressure from everywhere.
Rumours don't matter really, if you want a console get it, whether or not it's a PS2, just get it, and enjoy it don't fall for there hyped up machine, just because people say it will rule!
Thu 26/10/00 at 18:22
Regular
"I like cheese"
How do you know the hyped up console won't be the best. None of us apart from Monkeyblade have played one, and the games I've seen in mags look spectacular. Who knows what will be best, let's wait and see!!
PS Nintendo Gamecube £150 my a**e. I'm sorry but that's not gonna happen.
Thu 26/10/00 at 18:29
Regular
It may be the best sadly, if Sega, Nintendo and Microsoft don't step up a gear, and produce more games!
Nintendo have done the right thing using internet game and games as the core of their machine.
What Sony did wrong is putting a DVD player in it, it just piles up the money for the company.

Hopefully the games will come piling in, and when Nintendo and Microsoft enter the frame, they can all compete fairly.
If that doesn't happen gaming will collaspe under over pricing of consoles. Developers will refuse to make games for them and move to Sega, Nintendo or Microsoft.
And Microsoft, please don't make the same mistake as Sony and have a DVD player in it, it already will be expensive, since it will operate like a PC.
Thu 26/10/00 at 19:40
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Its hard to say whos the best out of all the companies when it comes to games consoles cause there are no real loyalties. Each company seems to have had its glory period - Sony having theirs right now - in a way its kind of like football teams, except replacing names such as Liverpool, Man U, etc with names like Nintendo, Sega, etc. If someone had asked me that like 10 years ago I would have said Nintendo, but now Nintendo seem to have slipped down the ladder in popularity compared with other names. I think the fan competition died out as games began to draw in older and older age groups. Lets face it, 10 years ago game consoles were aimed solely at kids with a very small number of adults being drawn to them. I'm sure most of us who were around at the time of the NES and Megadrive remember the constant Nintendo vs Sega debates in magazines and all the kids arguing over who was better. Mario and Sonic were the characters bringing in the cash - there were no Lara Crofts or Duke Nukems around and every game on the shelf of shops could be bought without parents having to look at age labels because there was no reason to. Suddenly the media and general public were in an uproar at the arrival of games such as Doom and of course the infamous Mortal Kombat (which is pretty tame by todays standards). Why ? Because in everyones mind games were for kids and that is that, but now things are different (well, at least gradually changing). All different age groups have a Sony playstation and the reason Nintendo have slipped is probably because that most of their catalogue of games is directed at a family level with very little to interest the older age groups. Sony is king of the hill right now, but Sega have finally got off rock bottom thanks to the Dreamcast and now its upto Nintendo to work on their ideas. As for personal preference with me, I really don't have one anymore. I buy the systems that have the games coming out on them wether its Nintendo, Sega, Sony or anyone else. But when I was little i was a devoted Nintendo fan slagging off all things Sega ;-))
Funny to think back to those days - god i feel old now ! I'm 22 by the way ;-p
Thu 26/10/00 at 19:49
Regular
"I like cheese"
Also, there was no Solid Snake in those days, well there was, but no one really knew about him, I think he's the top Sony character. Mario vs Sonic vs Snake!!! Who would win??? An Italian pizza guy, a hedgehog with annoying friends and is super fast, or the stealthy, tactical shhot 'em up ways of Solid Snake??? Hmmmmmm...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.