GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The New DVD Format"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 18/05/02 at 14:05
Regular
It’s no new news that current games are on DVD format. I think I’m right in saying that every gaming format (apart from those in the handheld area) now run on DVD-ROMs.

It hit me last week though, as I was watching one of the DVD’s I have in my collection. As ever I picked up the CD, inserted it into my Playstation 2 and I was greeted with the films menu which directed me to all the parts of the DVD. Much like a site-map or a game’s menu. That’s when it hit me – If I was playing a DVD on a games console why couldn’t more game menus be like that I was seeing on a films?

Now DVD menus are all glitz and glammer using special effects and sound to create an atmosphere before the film. You know the kind, fireballs fly out at you, parts of the film is shown. Why can’t this be incorporated in games?

But, it’s not only that I am talking about. It’s about the directions in which the DVD’s menu leads you to which make me wonder why gaming can’t have the same. Some lead you into the making of the film, some an interview with the director of the film and some have cool extras you can just keep going back to. That’s not it though, some DVD’s offer something special and original, unlike anything else and that will become more and more familiar in the future. I like all these little things that give me an insight out of the actual film.

But, do I see them in games? The answer, sadly, is no.

Ok sure you have more things like this coming into games, such as the DVD extra in Metal Gear Solid 2 for example. But wouldn’t you just appreciate the game a lot more if it was put into more games?

You could see how the game was made over the time you had been waiting so eagerly to have a go, you could see what they were doing over that time. You could get a better insight into creating the game and the people behind it, the people that deserve credit yet they don’t get much of it from the players. It’s not just about Nintendo, Sega, Sony and Microsoft you know, there are people behind those names.

Not only are DVD style menus cool, but they should be the future of video gaming. If they have the capability, then why isn't it being used?

Maybe it's the fact that as much space as possible is used for the game itself? Maybe it's because they just haven't thought about it yet or are getting onto it at the moment? I don't know, that's whats to discuss.

Films have set a trend and games should follow it, games players don’t know what they’re missing, the extras the DVD format offer are something that will make you think differently about the game you have been stuck on for 20 hours plus.
Sat 18/05/02 at 22:28
"Uzi Lover"
Whitestripes wrote:
> And the second Zelda game being made (so called remake of OOT), the
> non-cel shaded one, is said to come on three discs,

So that means that Shenmue will be released on 10 plus discs...

A DVD menu in Gran Turismo 3 would rock. That's a game that needs those kind of features.
Sat 18/05/02 at 20:49
Regular
And the second Zelda game being made (so called remake of OOT), the non-cel shaded one, is said to come on three discs, the game, behind the scenes documentary and a music disc. These are the kind of special features I like, but not for every single game, just well known, long running ones like Zelda, Mario, Sonic etc.
Sat 18/05/02 at 20:45
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
GT3 is like that. In fact, if GT3's menus were a DVD menu, they would probably be the best DVD menus ever.
Sat 18/05/02 at 20:27
Regular
See, now if God had used up the remaining space inside you he could have put in some special features to protct you from heart attacks...
Sat 18/05/02 at 20:16
Regular
"Hmmm....."
*goes mental about menu's again*

*has heart attack*
Sat 18/05/02 at 19:56
"Uzi Lover"
Whitestripes wrote:
> Monkey_With_Attitude wrote:
> Yes but if the game is all done and to the companys standards and
> there is room left for some extra features then add them in.
>
> Damn, we spent all that time and thats all we were trying to say!

Well if you have something to add...please do.

I thought the conversation had ended though and then Herc came in going mental with menus :-D heh
Sat 18/05/02 at 19:47
Regular
Monkey_With_Attitude wrote:
> Yes but if the game is all done and to the companys standards and
> there is room left for some extra features then add them in.
>

Damn, we spent all that time and thats all we were trying to say!
Sat 18/05/02 at 19:41
Regular
"Hmmm....."
Ok, fair enough........
Sat 18/05/02 at 19:39
"Uzi Lover"
Yes but if the game is all done and to the companys standards and there is room left for some extra features then add them in.

Rogue Leader done it, aswell as many other games which have and will be in the future.
Sat 18/05/02 at 19:35
Regular
"Hmmm....."
Well even those themselves take alot of time to make and this time could be spent making the game better.

Understand what im saying now?

:)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.