GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The source of our Gaming troubles."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 25/10/00 at 15:20
Regular
I find it extremely distressing to find that again the Europeans are being pushed into a back seat. I enquired recently, to Square-Europe, when is Final Fantasy 9 going to be released, and it looks as though it is going to now be delayed until, next year, the reason, translating the game is such a huge task…So what language have the Americans been speaking? Japanese! What a pathetic reason why we have to wait, yet again to play a game. I know that the rest of Europe might have to wait to have the game translated into their languages but why should we have to wait? So having been knocked back quite a bit by the news I will be spending Christmas without FF9 I had hoped to get import versions of Chrono Cross, and Final Fantasy Anthology seeing as once again Europe where to miss out on some great games. I soon realised that the likeliness of this happening was small as I was quoted, £50 for Chrono Cross, £60 for FFA, and £30 to have my PS chipped. I know that we have heard these arguments before, but the fact remains that when it comes to gaming Europe have been continually treated badly. The preorder of Playstation 2 just highlights the situation. But at least it is better than a few years ago… or is it has it actually improved, I don’t think so. In terms of gaming we seem to have fallen further and further behind America and Japan. Why well perhaps it is the fact that Europeans can’t afford to buy as many games as Americans. We have a lower average income yet we have to pay more for our games. The Developers point to the government placing high taxes and transportation costs. So suddenly it is clear. We can’yt buy many games as they are so expensive, the games can’t get much cheaper because of political reasons. So we again are left dragging behind. America had free Internet years before we even heard talks about it. So it suddenly dawns on us, the reason we can’t play games is not necessarily the game developers fault. It will continue to happen until something changes. I can’t realistically see that happening. Fellow gamers, our only saving grace may come in the form of Microsoft. With world-wide release dates, and multi regional games we may at last hav a chance to play games at the same rate as the rest of the world. If it comes to fruition, which we can only hope. We could at last be treated with the respect that European gamers deserve.

So roll on X-Box because we can't wait to be treated fairly
Thu 26/10/00 at 22:54
Regular
It's not just the governments fault.
All the games from Rare (Goldeneye, DK64, and Perfect Dark) are made in Britain (about 30 miles from where I live) yet Americans on the other side of the Atlantic get it before us for cheaper. I know that Rare are part own by Nintendo of America but why, when it's a British product do we have to pay £40+ while Americans get it imported for cheaper!
It's just noy right! Rare, I know you make the best games but...

Oh never mind! I'll sort it all out when I come work for you in a few years time!
Thu 26/10/00 at 19:08
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Did i say i expect to win ? No don't think so ! I put accross a view and it took the amount i wrote to complete it. Yes I've only just started posting but does that come with a rule that i have to do 6 line comments until I've been around long enough to be allowed to make them longer ? If so then sorry for having such a long opinion !
Thu 26/10/00 at 16:53
Regular
TWINE? Yes get it but don't expect a PD multiplayer beater.
Thu 26/10/00 at 16:23
Regular
James Bond on N64? Then yes.

Playstation? No.

The playstation one isn't so good, appar. Mind you, the N64 one isn't really amazing. Do you like Zelda? Get that.

Not sure for Playstation mind.
Thu 26/10/00 at 15:02
Well done on winning.
I've just got back from America and the prices of games out there are so much cheaper. The thing is all the companies (Sega Nintendo ect) about imprts, so why don't they just put out the games at the same time everywhere?
Also it's not just that we get the games later, some games we dont get at all. Especially rpgs. I can live without all of the second rate American sports sims though!
Thu 26/10/00 at 14:42
In the immortal words of Homer Simpson...

Wahoo

I think I will get the new James Bond game, what does everyone think?
Thu 26/10/00 at 14:41
Microsoft will be a force to be reckoned with, the amount of talented people they have working for them is astounding, they have a programmer who is reportedly able to produce code at the same rate as we can speak. When a prototype Joypad was designed it took a day to have a model made compared to a week that it normally takes. But they have people working for them specifically for a media point of view. If these people are set free on the X-Box, we may see a media campaign that would blow everyone away. We saw from Sony that games aren’t the most important thing, it is how the console is perceived to the public. The Playstation was a status symbol, it took gaming to another level and made it available to many people. It did this by breaking down some of the barriers that still exist today, that gaming is for young ‘geeky’ men. I remember being looked at like I was sad for playing games, then along came Sony and everyone was playing them. Microsoft, will jump on the bandwagon and their employees are so talented that they will be able to make the average consumer think that they need an X-Box. Hopefully some of the current teams will be able to learn from this, certainly SEGA need a lesson in marketing. Nintendo have probably the biggest franchise in the world but don’t seem to hype other products as they should. Microsoft has some amazing individuals working for them, and I am sure that they will make the X-Box a success.
Thu 26/10/00 at 14:02
Regular
Yeah with 1 post yesterday, i stayed on for ages. More than one post is needed here, if you want to win, i think they do one good post and they run off.
Thu 26/10/00 at 12:50
Well done AB you've just won Gameaday!
Thu 26/10/00 at 10:05
I know why you have your doubts about Microsoft, I to think that they have been involved in 'underhand' tactics but when it comes to delivering a product they are second to none. The hype Win 95 recieved was astounding and I expect even more for X-Box. They are a global company where Nintendo, Sega seem to concentrate on Japan, I am hoping that once they Microsoft shows them that paying us attention is important they will be forced to follow suit, and we will be a huge market for gaming

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.