GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why EVERYONE should buy GTA3 on the PC!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 13/05/02 at 15:44
Regular
Why would anyone want to play a golfing simulator game, or a train driving game or even a tennis game? The simple answer (for most) is that they dont. And why, I hear you ask. Simple! Generally people dont like to do something in a game that could just as easily be done in real life, whether it be on the nearest golf course or tennis club. I believe that games should be about experiencing things that could never be done in real life. But I dont just mean like being able to jump over sky-scrapers or punch a hole in a brick wall with your bare fist. I mean doing something that theoretically you could perform in "the real world" but would never think of doing it in a million years, mainly due to the consequences of such an action. Take, for instance, swinging a lightsaber around your head deflecting blaster shots that zapp past your frail body, (Star Wars - Jedi Outcast II) or being launched out of a WWII duck onto Omaha Beach with bullets whizzing round you whilst you take aim at a sentry post with your sniper rifle and unload a few rounds into a Nazi head! (Medal of Honour - Allied Assualt)

And this is where Grand Theft Auto 3 fits in! GTA3 is one of these games that allows you to play in a fantasy world where there are no consequences in "the real world." Perhaps a more realistic game than the two that I have previously mentioned, setting you in the present time in various citys in america. I could try to list all of the things that you can do in GTA3 that would (not could) not be performed (by the sane) in "the real world" but I fear the list might go on for eternity. And this is where the beauty of the Grand Theft Auto series really hits you, there are no rules to follow, no checkpoints to reach, no linear scripted gameplay, just you, on the streets with a taste for exploring the darker and less travelled side of life.

When was the last time you stole a £20000 sports car, sped the wrong way up a motorway doing a driveby on some gang-members, being chased by 3 police cars with a helicopter roaring above your head, whilst all the time listening to your favorite Top Gear mp3 on you computer at full volume? Sound good? Well thats only my dream, think of the ones that you could come up with! The possibilities for this game are literally endless! And it only gets better from there, assuming all goes to plan and all the rumours are true then GTA3 is shaping up to be the best game the PC has seen in a long while. Imagine putting your own face on the character and actually watching yourself beat up old grannies and steal there money.

And you also have to consider the modding scene which was the problem with the PS2 version, as there was no room for expansion on the original game. All the different skin models that will be available for the cars, so that you can actually drive the car of your dreams and not just some american convertable that doesnt really get you excited. The extra waepons that will be created by those interent geniuses. I can even see people making there own radio channels that you can listen to as you cruise along the streets of liberty city.

What does everyone else think about the topic of games being more fun and interesting if they are based upon something that would not be done in "the real world"? Also how many of you intend on getting this game when it is released?

Phil

:)
Mon 13/05/02 at 15:44
Why would anyone want to play a golfing simulator game, or a train driving game or even a tennis game? The simple answer (for most) is that they dont. And why, I hear you ask. Simple! Generally people dont like to do something in a game that could just as easily be done in real life, whether it be on the nearest golf course or tennis club. I believe that games should be about experiencing things that could never be done in real life. But I dont just mean like being able to jump over sky-scrapers or punch a hole in a brick wall with your bare fist. I mean doing something that theoretically you could perform in "the real world" but would never think of doing it in a million years, mainly due to the consequences of such an action. Take, for instance, swinging a lightsaber around your head deflecting blaster shots that zapp past your frail body, (Star Wars - Jedi Outcast II) or being launched out of a WWII duck onto Omaha Beach with bullets whizzing round you whilst you take aim at a sentry post with your sniper rifle and unload a few rounds into a Nazi head! (Medal of Honour - Allied Assualt)

And this is where Grand Theft Auto 3 fits in! GTA3 is one of these games that allows you to play in a fantasy world where there are no consequences in "the real world." Perhaps a more realistic game than the two that I have previously mentioned, setting you in the present time in various citys in america. I could try to list all of the things that you can do in GTA3 that would (not could) not be performed (by the sane) in "the real world" but I fear the list might go on for eternity. And this is where the beauty of the Grand Theft Auto series really hits you, there are no rules to follow, no checkpoints to reach, no linear scripted gameplay, just you, on the streets with a taste for exploring the darker and less travelled side of life.

When was the last time you stole a £20000 sports car, sped the wrong way up a motorway doing a driveby on some gang-members, being chased by 3 police cars with a helicopter roaring above your head, whilst all the time listening to your favorite Top Gear mp3 on you computer at full volume? Sound good? Well thats only my dream, think of the ones that you could come up with! The possibilities for this game are literally endless! And it only gets better from there, assuming all goes to plan and all the rumours are true then GTA3 is shaping up to be the best game the PC has seen in a long while. Imagine putting your own face on the character and actually watching yourself beat up old grannies and steal there money.

And you also have to consider the modding scene which was the problem with the PS2 version, as there was no room for expansion on the original game. All the different skin models that will be available for the cars, so that you can actually drive the car of your dreams and not just some american convertable that doesnt really get you excited. The extra waepons that will be created by those interent geniuses. I can even see people making there own radio channels that you can listen to as you cruise along the streets of liberty city.

What does everyone else think about the topic of games being more fun and interesting if they are based upon something that would not be done in "the real world"? Also how many of you intend on getting this game when it is released?

Phil

Mon 13/05/02 at 15:48
"High polygon count"
Been there, done that, months ago. I've no reason at all to buy the PC version.

As for mods... irrelevant as far as I'm concerned, as it adds nothing to the game.

And what's the betting there's a patch available for download in a month or so? ;-)
Mon 13/05/02 at 15:51
i think that mods add a lot to the game, although i agree with you that if you already own it on the PS2 then there isnt much point in getting it again (although i think there will be a lot of improvement - putting your own face on the character)

Phil
Mon 13/05/02 at 15:53
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
Yeh, I love mods. They add so much to a game. For example Operation Flashpoint now has loads of new units, and modified stuff you can download, which gives so much more life to the game. Operation Flashpoint on X-Box is going to suck probably for that reason (although if the internet works then maybe not)

As for GTA3 on the PC, since I have it on the PS2, getting it seems pointless (unless they have new missions like Darkel - which is unlikely)
Mon 13/05/02 at 15:58
I think that thats the beauty of PC games as when they are over ans finished there is always some mod on the internet that will give then life again. I think that this is the main problem with consoles. I reckon that you get twice as much playability on a pc game compared to the exact same game on a console.

Phil
Mon 13/05/02 at 16:11
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Why are you telling us to BUY it when you are blatently trying to WIN it!

Something original will win a GAD!

Little hint, post that in the reviews section and you might get somewhere! Havn't read it but it looks like a good review!
Mon 13/05/02 at 16:40
I feel your being a bit harsh towards me especially considering that you didnt even read it( i think youll find it covers quite a few other points than just a review for GTA3)
I thank you for your comments anyway though and I will pist it in the reviews section if you think that that is best

Phil :)
Mon 13/05/02 at 16:47
Regular
"That's right!"
"As for mods... irrelevant as far as I'm concerned, as it adds nothing to the game."

Excuse me?
Mon 13/05/02 at 19:10
just what phi11ip said

Phil
Wed 15/05/02 at 11:53
Nice one! I won!

So there Phi11ip! HAHAHA
Only joking mate!
Anybody got any reccomendations on what I should spend me £50 on?
And before you say GTA3 I am going to get this anyway but i would prefer to get the most out of my £50! LOL

Phil

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.