GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"help on 2 things (java script and my file downloads)"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 10/05/02 at 04:48
Regular
ok for picture links i use javascript to open them in a new window but i cant find a script any where to make the window maximized (and nah i dont mean fit to screen) i want it to fit fullscreen and on top of the task bar..etc just like when you click the maximize button.

And last for the downloads i just wanted to know is there anyway i could stop people from linking to them i know you can on some hosts but im not too sure how on this?

Thanks alot
Sat 11/05/02 at 15:24
Regular
"everyone says it"
Turbonutter wrote:
> Don't upload a .htaccess to Freeola, you'll destroy yur webspace.
> There is no other way though, as .htaccess is the only way to
> communicate with Apache.

*feeds the geek*

:P
Sat 11/05/02 at 15:21
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Don't upload a .htaccess to Freeola, you'll destroy yur webspace. There is no other way though, as .htaccess is the only way to communicate with Apache.
Sat 11/05/02 at 14:07
Twain wrote:
> That script will maximise the window when a link or object is clicked.
> I can't find a way of making it happen when the window loads and
> appears.
> Sorry.

Thanks for all ya help but i dont wanna do it just for netscape but its okay i can still the screen.width screen.height way just thought there might be a maximise way.
Thanks
Sat 11/05/02 at 14:03
Turbonutter wrote:
> Should you care? You're still helping people. Besides, they'll just
> transfer the file on to their server instead, there's nothing you can
> do to stop the spread of information on the Internet if you put it up
> there, and that's how it should be.

Yeah i should i dont care if they download them and then upload them onto there server or even linking to my page with the files on. But if i have to take the time to get the files together and then paying to upload them which as you should know takes ages on 56k then i dont think its fair for other sites to take all the credit. But as i said people are welcome to link to my page or to download there self for there own server

I've seen the .htaccess file way on another way but couldnt get it to work is this somthing freeola dosnt support?
Sat 11/05/02 at 13:45
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Sure, you can put an if (!ereg($SERVER_NAME, $HTTP_REFERER) { echo "goaway"; }; on the download page, but this causes problems for browsers that don't set the HTTP_REFERER variable.
Sat 11/05/02 at 13:39
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Turbonutter wrote:
> Garin wrote:
> Plenty of ways...you even mentioned the start of a method further
> down.
> So dunno why you're now saying its impossible to prevent.
>
>
>
> You're not understanding it. Of course you can stop people linking to
> them, so people will just link to the page with the download link on
> instead, placing an extra load on the server.

I understanding perfectly, you can stop them doing that too. And if even half your boasts about your abilities with php etc. are true then you know this as well.
In any event, linking to the page is an entirely different story, if they link to your page then more likely than not they are within your site and it should be quite clear its an external page, and where credit is due etc.. But whatever...

-G
Sat 11/05/02 at 12:04
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Garin wrote:
> Plenty of ways...you even mentioned the start of a method further
> down.
> So dunno why you're now saying its impossible to prevent.
>

You're not understanding it. Of course you can stop people linking to them, so people will just link to the page with the download link on instead, placing an extra load on the server.
Sat 11/05/02 at 10:10
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
That script will maximise the window when a link or object is clicked. I can't find a way of making it happen when the window loads and appears.
Sorry.
Sat 11/05/02 at 10:09
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Please note: This script ONLY works in Netscape Navigator 4.0 and above. Internet Explorer does not support it.

Maximize
Sat 11/05/02 at 10:05
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
T0MMY wrote:
> Thanks but still i dont want it to hide the task bar or even the
> window buttons..etc Think it can be done?

I'll look into it. Back in a mo. . .

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.