GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"why is nintendo considered kiddy"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 09/05/02 at 15:48
Regular
Could someone in this forum please tell me why nintendo are considered kiddy?
Thu 09/05/02 at 15:48
Could someone in this forum please tell me why nintendo are considered kiddy?
Thu 09/05/02 at 16:03
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
Because in the past the majority of their products and marketing has been aimed at the younger end of the gaming market. Quite simple really.
Thu 09/05/02 at 16:20
Regular
"**I'm Disposable**"
The N64 was stereotyphed as a kiddies console. I disagree, the games look a little childish, but I find some of these games (Mario kart, Maio tennis, Mario party) to be really fun. We don't always need great games such as GTA3 to enjoy gaming :) Some people are already commenting on the GC as being for 3-10 year olds! What?? Each to their own..
Thu 09/05/02 at 16:34
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
Indeed - with the GC Nintendo have already stated that they want to aim at a broader market - that is why they are trying to get things like Resi released asap.

In the past they have deliberatley aimed themselves at younger markets hence things such as Pokemon and Gameboy - with all the marketing naunce they put behind these the made them into major successes. Also when you look at Nintendo's major game brands they again are aimed foremost at the younger gamers - though I am not disputing the fact that games like Mario Kart are great fun for older gamers like me..
Thu 09/05/02 at 16:37
Regular
Somewhere above this post is the phrase 'Sony - Ps1 & PS2'. Bearing that in mind do you think we are here to discuss Nintendo?
Thu 09/05/02 at 16:48
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
Presumably he is looking for opinions from people who are not staunch Ninties. Nowt wrong with that.
Thu 09/05/02 at 18:05
Regular
"95% organic"
Sony (and now Microsoft as well) have got their mitts on the 16 upwards market. Nintendo have never been much good at violence or cinematic games, and so may as well dominate the younger age groups.

But just cos its 'kiddy' doesn't mean you won't enjoy it. Personally, I chose a PS2 because I like the widest possible selection of games involving sex, drugs and violence... but having been loyal to Nintendo until the demise of the N64, I am aware that Nintendo are a top-notch company. And in my eyes, they still know how to make a video game that's fun in its own right... without franchised liscences, flamethrowers or nu-metal soundtracks. Nintendo just make pure games as they always have done. Nintendo 'kiddy'ness means to me: bright colours, plenty of 'boing' noises and an emphasis on gameplay. All good things... I might even consider getting a black-cube to sit atop my PS2...
Thu 09/05/02 at 18:29
Regular
"360: swfcman"
Kiddy or not, Nintendo still get some of the best games out there with top quality game play and graphics. For me Nintendo offer a different style of gameplay, that at times seems more fun than what i get from my PS2. I have to admit the PS2 lacks some of the quality and 'funness' that the GC gets, id like a few more mario type games on the PS2, what we got? Jak and Dax and Herdy Gerdy, nothing much more.

GC seems to be offering a more broad line up of games than the 64 did, its got the 'kiddy' type games there and the 'adult' type too, both look as good as each other. And i dont see anything wrong with this kiddy attitude anyway, both sets of games are there to be played and enjoyed, they just do it in different ways, but we end up with the same result anyway.
Thu 09/05/02 at 23:16
Regular
Whats this I hear?

Pro Evolution confirmed for the GameCube...sweet mother of God yes.

I actually like the "kiddy" type games.

They make me smile.

They make me happy.

Thats whats counts at the end of the day.

The world would be a better place if all games were made by Nintendo ;-)

It dont really matter now anymore anyway. All games seem to going multiplatform. I think...hang on a minute...Has the PS2 even got any exclusives anymore?

Silent Hill 3 going to the X-box

A metal gear game confirmed today for the X-box

Pro Evolution, Final Fantasy, Timesplitters 2 confirmed for the Gamecube.

Every console now offeres a very large variety of games. Somthin to suit the needs of anyones taste.
Fri 10/05/02 at 01:43
Regular
"5 European Cups!!!"
On the contrary, Nintendos games should be played by older gamers, after all, some of those games are damned hard to complete, and only the most intelligent of individuals could complete some of them.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.