GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Prequels - Untapped Potential?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 08/05/02 at 21:23
Regular
With the faint thought of Star Wars Episode 1 in the mind, the recent release of Star Wars Episode 2 and the marketing blitz that we are currently enduring (though some of you might say that’s a good thing) has flicked a lightbulb on in my head, Eureka style. But why I hear you ask? What brainwave have you struck on? Well folks, I think I’ve hit an idea, which, if done properly, could be a most welcome addition to the growing gaming catalogue and a great idea for imagination starved developers.

Unfortunately, my attempt at surprising you was undone somewhat by the fact that the thread title completely gave it away. But I’ll attempt something special anyway – drum roll please *drum rolls* …ta-da…. Prequels! Ah, forget it. Anyway, back to the purpose of this post. With the Star Wars prequels gaining huge coverage and mass anticipation, and the success of other prequels of sorts like I though of the absolutely massive untapped potential of gaming prequels. Just imagine, playing a game where you could discover the early origins and endeavours of your favourite videogame characters. Why did Jak and Daxter become friends? Just like why Star Wars fans are itching to see the gradual transition of Anakin Skywalker to Darth Vader in Star Wars Episodes 2 and 3, ever pondered why Bowser wants to kidnap Princess Peach all the time? Maybe they were friends at school – I don’t know, but wouldn’t it be nice to find out?

The only successful major prequel I can think of currently out in the market is the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, which for those of you that have been living in a cave for about four years, is the very first in the Zelda series. Not only was it a classic game but also it laid down the foundations for the whole franchise, told us of Link’s heritage and origins and the beginning of the battle with Ganon(dorf). The whole sequels just fall into place as a result. Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation is the only other game I can think of, with Lara as a 16 year old learning the ropes, but that didn’t exploit the opportunity fully. If done properly, a prequel can tell us why a games character learnt a certain skill, why the bad guy has such a grudge etc. Like Smallville, the C4 Superman prequel, for all we know, Solidus, Liquid and Solid Snake all grew up getting along, before the adolescence nurtured their intense pursuit of world domination. It would be nice to find out, but I think the MGS series has done more than enough storytelling and cutscenes, thank you.

A lot of criticisms aimed at popular game franchises are the sheer amount of sequels and updates that occurs. Rather than release yet another tired old sequel, you can freshen up a franchise and give the series a new lease of life, with a unique blend of the action/adventure/whatever we have to come to expect from the game in question as well retelling the story. Take Mario for example. Granted the ‘rescue the princess, defeat the bad guy’ storyline isn’t exactly Shakespeare, but even the staunchest Mario fan must admit that the current Mario Sunshine storyline of cleaning up splodges form the sky isn’t great. But just imagine the potential of a prequel to all the Mario games. So many questions could be asked – why Bowser wants Peach so much, and when exactly do Mario and Luigi actually do plumbing work? The potential for that game is extraordinary.

From a purely business point of view, prequels would, in my opinion, be a welcome option for many game developers. I mean, we always get loads of sequels, but what about prequels? You have the brand name, the core users and fans of the franchise. Think of your favourite game (though not sports or something because that kinda defeats the point). Haven’t you always thought of questions about it or wondered why something happens etc? A prequel could answer that. As well as that, from a developer’s point of view it would be a challenge not only to do this sort of game, but would also help to avoid the semi-sequel, graphical updates that plague the market. And from a producer’s point of view, it is a sure-fire hit…I mean, who wouldn’t buy a prequel to their favourite game? To be completely honest with you, I’m surprised it hasn’t happened already, I don’t know why it hasn’t. But as Star Wars is showing, I do know that there is a wealth of untapped potential out there just waiting to be unlocked in prequels.

Thanks for reading this…

Russell
Sun 12/05/02 at 19:47
Regular
"Hmmm....."
RM18 wrote:
> Unfortunately it didn't win GAD :(

--------

Dont you think youve won enough games already?
Sun 12/05/02 at 19:47
Regular
Will do...

:)
Sun 12/05/02 at 19:45
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
It's sad that all these people go "great post" blah blah blah...

But in reality all this shows is that they're so used to rubbish, spammy, spacky posts in the Sony room that they are amazed at how good this is. In fact, there are pages and pages of topics this good in Prime...

Sad indeed...

RM, are you on MSN? Is so add me:

[email protected]
Sun 12/05/02 at 19:38
Regular
Unfortunately it didn't win GAD :(

The reason I post this in two forums is because I now it will hardly be replied to in Prime. Its a sorry state of affairs, but there you go...

!SHAMELESS PLUG ALERT!

p.s. to read more of the same, check out my latest post, 'Alternative Gaming Universe'!
Sun 12/05/02 at 19:35
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
errr... this worries me.

The post is indeed very good, and has a good GAD winning chance.

But how many people who have replied know that topics of this quality fill the Prime room? In fact, this is copied from RM's topic in prime!

Why not go and look at it, (and the far more in depth replies) as well as many, many more equally as good topic in there?

Sonic
Sun 12/05/02 at 18:21
Regular
"Brrrrr."
Star Wars is ok...
Sun 12/05/02 at 13:35
I don't like star wars, I think its boring and has no exciting aspects about it. And you trying to be funny doesn't work, let me tell you something go back to your boring life and weep!
Fri 10/05/02 at 22:27
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
RM18 wrote:
But just imagine the potential of a prequel to all the
> Mario games. So many questions could be asked – why Bowser wants Peach
> so much, and when exactly do Mario and Luigi actually do plumbing
> work? The potential for that game is extraordinary.
>

Are you being sarcastic? I don't really think a prequel to Mario would have any more potential than a sequel to it. I don't think there's a reason as to why Bowser wants Peach, I think he just kidnaps her for a storyline. I don't really want to know why he kidnaps her as it would probably be ridiculous.

Other than that, good post.
Fri 10/05/02 at 21:06
Regular
ooo just noticed this-nice one
Fri 10/05/02 at 21:05
Regular
cheers reynolds

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.