GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"My Little Blue Friend"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 06/02/08 at 10:42
Regular
"THFC"
Who can remember the first time you played Sonic? The feeling of going so fast then hitting something and loosing all those rings, the frustration of getting right near the end and then having to go out!

Sonic on the Megadrive set the standards for games everywhere! The thought of having a Blue Hedgehog race around exotic, industrial and ancient levels to free his friends and foil the evil Dr. "eggman" Robotnik's plans.

My first encounter came in Sonic 2 - me and my brother played for hours, he was always Sonic and i had to be tails! We all know how that ends, Tails can't keep up and therefore gets shunted off screen. None the less, we played for hours at a go. Then we went back and got the first installment. While the graphics were not as sharp, the gameplay was just as great!

Then SONIC 3!! I could finally be Tails and be an almost equal to sonic, helping out by carrying Sonic, hurting enemies. It was fantastic, i loved that game so much! Whilst i had mainly been a Nintendo person, this made me like Sega just that bit more!

After i had done Sonic 3, i kind of forgot about the coolest hedgehog in history. I can recall watching some of the television episodes, and i have since seen them on youtube, i am sure most of you have seen them before. As a kid i thought it was a great show, but never understood why he liked chilli dogs and yet nothing was mentioned in the games!

Then one day i came across Sonic on the playstation 2 - Adventure battle. I remember playing that game for so long, the Chaos were just a great addition to what in my opinion was a great game. The only problem that was becoming present. No longer the glory days of Sonic and Tails taking on Eggman. He has a whole bunch of friends. Plus a new Hedgehog, Shadow! He was as quick, more arrogant and evil for the majority of the game!

There have since been so many games for the Playstation and other formats which Sonic has been the main star in - Sonic Heroes, Riders and a few more without going on. All the time we see new characters appearing. Sonic is seeming less and less unique. Now every other game there is someone with a great ability to match him and go almost as fast, or is stronger.

I go out and buy Sonic the Hedgehog on Playstation 3 - while it has had bad reviews i am enjoying it. The loading and camera angels are bad, but the story seems acceptable and the gameplay is the same Sonic i love, with some beautiful scenary. BUT a new hedgehog - Silver (they could have been more imaginative with the names aswell, black hedgehog - Shadow. Silver hedgehog - Silver) but still this new addition has some psychic powers and is from the future. I love Sonic as a character and so many of his games and provided me with great entertainment, but i kind of think they are going too far sometimes.

New characters can add some life into a game, but i think Sonic is having to add too many in one go and they are not all that well thought out. Whilst the eraly Sonic was never been about a deep story which will stick with you for years, the newer games are trying hard to push through with some solid ideas in my opinion. Shadow has a great background story and from what i have seen of Silver, his aint too shabby.

I am curious as to most peoples thought on Sonic. Should the series have stopped a long time ago? do the new characters annoy you? Or do you hope to see more of the same?

I know sega superstar tennis is due out and we see my favourite blue hedgehog back again. But what about solo games? should he just stick to cameos? I know i cant wait to be Sonic on Super Smash Bros Brawl! Personally, as long as games are made with Sonic i think they will sell and i know personally i will buy the majority of his games!
Thanks for reading
Mon 11/02/08 at 14:36
Regular
"THFC"
Well let's hope they get a Sonic game out for the next-gen consoles which live up to the name. With the usual gameplay which we love, not loads of characters, but some of them.

Make sonic a strong gaming title again, no longer a game which will never score above like 60% on reviews etc.
Mon 11/02/08 at 14:02
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
Sega Superstar Tennis (which features Sonic but isn't really a Sonic game)

Sonic Chronicles - The Dark Brotherhood (Sonic DS)

Smash Brothers Brawl - (Again, not really a Sonic game)

There are rumours of a Sonic game for the next gen consoles that is being made but I don't want to see it until at least the end of 2009 and perfect.
Mon 11/02/08 at 13:59
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
I used to like it back in the Megadrive days but then as we got into 3D Sega seemed incapable of making a decent Sonic game. I rented Sonic the Hedgehog for the 360 the other week and it is probably the worst game i've played in a very long time, horrid camera and controls, glitchy graphics and terrible story and voice acting, there was nothing good about it at all.
Mon 11/02/08 at 10:28
Regular
"THFC"
Yeah thats very true - how annoying is it that it keeps getting put back! and i dislike the Friend Cose system that nintendo use, i wish you could just search for players online

really looking forward to it, does anyone know if other sonic games in the pipeline?
Fri 08/02/08 at 13:54
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
Sonic and the Secret Rings is pretty good. The controls are a bit of an issue at slower speeds but you can get things to give you a boost. There's lots to do, sometimes a little frustrating as there is a fair amount of trial and error and upgrade juggling but it is good.

If you are a Sonic fan and own a Wii, it is probably the best game in recent memory because it is just Sonic in his purest form.

It's kind of funny when you think that the best game featuring Sonic may be made by Nintendo when Brawl comes out.
Fri 08/02/08 at 12:43
Regular
"THFC"
Some great points made there!

I think i have to agree with a lot, my opinion always changes - the more i play Sonic on Ps3 i think its ok, but it just dont cut the mustard! Still an enjoyable few hours spent so and i only rented so no money lost as such.

Again - Sonic underground, what went on there, wasn't it like 3 hedgehogs in a rock band who had special powers and were abondoned by their mum? but then they find her????
lol - weird!

I did see something about a sonic RPG on DS and while i dont have one i think it could be a great new way to play as sonic. I have a wii and might check out the secret rings but i heard camera, loading and controls were dodgey
Thu 07/02/08 at 14:18
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
Emmie87 wrote:
> Who can remember the first time you played Sonic?

Yeah, Sonic 1 on the Megadrive. It was just brilliant. I loved every minute of it and played it to death. It's my favourite game of all time because of the reaction it got out of me.

> Sonic on the Megadrive set the standards for games everywhere!

I think that's a problem. The Megadrive Sonic games are always compared to the newer ones and, although the newer ones aren't too bad (with an exception), they never compare favourably.

> My first encounter came in Sonic 2 - me and my brother played
> for hours, he was always Sonic and i had to be tails!

Yeah, I liked to do that with my brother. You could play it the lazy way and get Tails to do a lot of the work while Sonic protects his rings. I love setting challenges like getting all 7 emeralds by the end of the first zone, which is possible. You also needed someone if you forgot to take Tails off and you wanted to play on your own because Tails became a liability in the Special Stage or you could see it as another challenge.

> Then SONIC 3!! I could finally be Tails and be an almost equal
> to sonic, helping out by carrying Sonic, hurting enemies.

Then, of course, you could play Sonic and Knuckles attached to Sonic 3 and have an extra long game and have 3 characters to choose from or put the game on Sonic 2 to play that as Knuckles and the blue sphere game if attached to Sonic 1.

> I can recall watching some of the television episodes

Loved them when I was a kid. Sonic Underground was a bit weird but I thought the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog was really funny and Sonic the Hedgehog was a great series ended before its time. Sonic X, while a little cheesy, did some interesting story arcs based on the Sonic Adventures.

> Then one day i came across Sonic on the playstation 2 -
> Adventure battle.

Good game with an interesting story and rock hard challenges if you want to be a completionist.

> There have since been so many games for the Playstation and
> other formats which Sonic has been the main star in - Sonic
> Heroes, Riders and a few more without going on. All the time we
> see new characters appearing. Sonic is seeming less and less
> unique. Now every other game there is someone with a great
> ability to match him and go almost as fast, or is stronger.

The problem I have is obviously the load of characters but there is a lot more to it. The major characters have decent stories behind and have been fleshed out nicely but that isn't always the case with the new ones and it does hurt the games. Also, most people want to play a Sonic game to play as Sonic, not Silver, Amy, Cream, Big, Vector, Blaze etc. There are some good characters but people want to play as Sonic.

I suppose that is why Sonic and the Secret Rings is good because it is Sonic on his own against all the odds.

> I go out and buy Sonic the Hedgehog on Playstation 3 - while it
> has had bad reviews i am enjoying it. The loading and camera
> angels are bad, but the story seems acceptable and the gameplay
> is the same Sonic i love, with some beautiful scenary.

I've never been so disappointed with a Sonic game than with the Sonic 06 game. The loading times are completely unacceptable and the controls are a bit dodgy. It's as if the release date came around and they released an unfinshed game.

> Should the series have stopped a long time ago?

No, because Sonic still has a big appeal and when the game is right, Sonic still attracts the attention. The new Sonic RPG for the DS made by Bioware should be good.

> do the new characters annoy you? Or do you hope to see more of the same?

Go back to the basics, Sonic on his own and if you want to play as other characters, make it an OPTION, not a necessity.

> I know i cant wait to be Sonic on Super Smash Bros Brawl!

Me too. I could rant on for hours but I think that'll do for now.
Wed 06/02/08 at 16:49
"possibly impossible"
Best recent game (other than Sonic and Mario Olympics) was the Wii Sonic and the Secret Rings. Despite being 3D it really took Sonic back to his roots in gaming, namely running fast and collecting rings while avoiding spikey things.
Wed 06/02/08 at 10:42
Regular
"THFC"
Who can remember the first time you played Sonic? The feeling of going so fast then hitting something and loosing all those rings, the frustration of getting right near the end and then having to go out!

Sonic on the Megadrive set the standards for games everywhere! The thought of having a Blue Hedgehog race around exotic, industrial and ancient levels to free his friends and foil the evil Dr. "eggman" Robotnik's plans.

My first encounter came in Sonic 2 - me and my brother played for hours, he was always Sonic and i had to be tails! We all know how that ends, Tails can't keep up and therefore gets shunted off screen. None the less, we played for hours at a go. Then we went back and got the first installment. While the graphics were not as sharp, the gameplay was just as great!

Then SONIC 3!! I could finally be Tails and be an almost equal to sonic, helping out by carrying Sonic, hurting enemies. It was fantastic, i loved that game so much! Whilst i had mainly been a Nintendo person, this made me like Sega just that bit more!

After i had done Sonic 3, i kind of forgot about the coolest hedgehog in history. I can recall watching some of the television episodes, and i have since seen them on youtube, i am sure most of you have seen them before. As a kid i thought it was a great show, but never understood why he liked chilli dogs and yet nothing was mentioned in the games!

Then one day i came across Sonic on the playstation 2 - Adventure battle. I remember playing that game for so long, the Chaos were just a great addition to what in my opinion was a great game. The only problem that was becoming present. No longer the glory days of Sonic and Tails taking on Eggman. He has a whole bunch of friends. Plus a new Hedgehog, Shadow! He was as quick, more arrogant and evil for the majority of the game!

There have since been so many games for the Playstation and other formats which Sonic has been the main star in - Sonic Heroes, Riders and a few more without going on. All the time we see new characters appearing. Sonic is seeming less and less unique. Now every other game there is someone with a great ability to match him and go almost as fast, or is stronger.

I go out and buy Sonic the Hedgehog on Playstation 3 - while it has had bad reviews i am enjoying it. The loading and camera angels are bad, but the story seems acceptable and the gameplay is the same Sonic i love, with some beautiful scenary. BUT a new hedgehog - Silver (they could have been more imaginative with the names aswell, black hedgehog - Shadow. Silver hedgehog - Silver) but still this new addition has some psychic powers and is from the future. I love Sonic as a character and so many of his games and provided me with great entertainment, but i kind of think they are going too far sometimes.

New characters can add some life into a game, but i think Sonic is having to add too many in one go and they are not all that well thought out. Whilst the eraly Sonic was never been about a deep story which will stick with you for years, the newer games are trying hard to push through with some solid ideas in my opinion. Shadow has a great background story and from what i have seen of Silver, his aint too shabby.

I am curious as to most peoples thought on Sonic. Should the series have stopped a long time ago? do the new characters annoy you? Or do you hope to see more of the same?

I know sega superstar tennis is due out and we see my favourite blue hedgehog back again. But what about solo games? should he just stick to cameos? I know i cant wait to be Sonic on Super Smash Bros Brawl! Personally, as long as games are made with Sonic i think they will sell and i know personally i will buy the majority of his games!
Thanks for reading

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.