GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Three weeks on an adventure and for what?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 06/05/02 at 19:45
Regular
Platformers and Adventure games are great aren't they? Sonic Adventure, Super Mario 64, Luigi 's Mansion, Crash Bandicoot 5: Wrath of Cortex, I could go on forever. Everything about them is great. You have the graphics, the sounds, the originality and an adventure that will surprise you at every corner. But I have you completed these games? You see the start and think. "Oh my God, this looks great" It opens up a whole new world to you and introduces you to what is about to happen. This all sounds great but when you complete the game do you find the end sequence, well.. to be a bit shallow? Don't get me wrong there are some games that have mind blowing endings, but I find some to be a little less than spectacular.

Take Luigi's Mansion for example. You start off walking into a mansion looking for Mario. You enter the mansion and find hundreds of ghosts. You then find a little wierd professor and he then explains to you the story. (Mario has been kidnapped. You must save him blah blah blah) This sucks you in so you play and eventually find Mario. Wow! Great fun. But when you do beat the final boss and find Mario it may not seem like a great way to finish such a great game. If anyone has not completed this and I tell you then sorry. Luigi then grabs Mario, takes him to an odd machine and transforms him back from a painting to his original self. Next Luigi laughs uses the money he finds and builds a new mansion to live in and that is about it. It makes sense to you but may not be the greatest ending. Wheres them leaving or building this new mansion. Wheres the new features or funny ends to this perfect game.

Another game like this is Sonic Adventure. The story begins with Sonic sitting down relaxing talking for a while and looking towards the sky. Suddenly he sees Tails shooting down towards a beach. Funny enough this is your first level to complete and when you do the story then gradually unfolds creating the perfect opening story. Wow, you think. But yet again where's the great ending to a great game. In the end you beat Dr. Eggman and jump from a huge height off his gadget ship onto the grassy banks of Mystic Ruins. You then run with tails along with some music you hear throughout the game constantly and that's the end. Not great at all. Well pretty pants to be exact.

From these two examples you can clearly see that the ending is a little dire. You want more than this rubbish. You've played the game that has taken you over 3 weeks to complete and the end is over in one minute. "What that was it?" Right about now you'll be eating you underwear or shoes or something and shouting out words that I can't write down. These are great games don't get me wrong, but like I've said the ends are very short, rubbish and inconclusive. (sort of) You'll be asking "What happens to Sonic next? Does he run into a pit and meet up with Blackwood for an interview for the U.K.?" or "Do the 22 ghosts you captured escape and wreak havoc again" I don't think so. It is pretty obvious this doesn't happen I know but they have to tell us what happens.

I want many things in a game. I want graphics, sounds and so on... But we also want many things from the ending too. I want the same graphics throughout the game. No problems there as all do this fine. I want sounds to be top notch. This means if there should be talking then let there be real voices and none of this text on the bottom of your screen rubbish as it just doesn't get the same atmosphere there should be. I also want a good ending that makes sense. There should be no trash where you have a character waking up from a dream (which was the game you were just playing) and just going out to play football or something. No inconclusive rubbish either where you finish the game and your character runs into the sunset. NO!!!! That sucks. We want long, fun to watch movies. Ones similar to the start movie that kept you on the edge of your seat and made you play for 3 heavy weeks. If I had to choose a great one it would have t be Metal Gear Solid 2. It is just like a living movie. Great looking and great fun.

So overall I feel that a game is equally important to the graphics, sounds and everything else in a game. We want long, fun, concluding and great looking, not short, boring, wierd and horrible to look at. This all makes playing the game worth while and I hope you agree with me too.

Thanks for reading
Wed 08/05/02 at 10:16
Regular
"Back For Good"
If thats what you think of those games I keep your distance from Jak and Daxter, It starts off in a lovely no loading time world and it's full of enjoyable mini games but when you get to the end, the game just stops. No turning back of Daxter, no feeling of closure, just the developers trying to cash in with an opening for a sequel, good but in a way pants!!!!!
Wed 08/05/02 at 08:47
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
Come on someone please read this.
Tue 07/05/02 at 17:04
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
Man I did it again. Anyway I'm back to myself now.Sorry
Tue 07/05/02 at 16:55
Regular
"I Control All Pikmi"
Sorry about that, my brother came off the computer and then I went on accidently under his name. (READING FC)I forgot to change it to Ghost Killer. The last post was by me just under my brothers name by accident.
Tue 07/05/02 at 16:44
Regular
"I Control All Pikmi"
Yeah I know that, but you want a spectacular finish or else you'll be asking "Was that really worth the effort?" What you say is true, but I think the ending needs to be good too.
By the way thanks for the reply.
Tue 07/05/02 at 16:30
Regular
Every Adventure (whether real or fantasy) is about the "journey", not about the ending.
Adventuring is all about exploration.
The ending is the end - the adventure is finished.
You don't judge an adventure by the ending, you judge it by what you experienced along the way.
Tue 07/05/02 at 16:12
Regular
"I Control All Pikmi"
Great games like Luigi's Mansion(although very short) do seem to have rubbish endings, but I do like Sonic Adventure's one with the cool music. Great post bro. Yet another great topic. :¬)
Mon 06/05/02 at 19:45
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
Platformers and Adventure games are great aren't they? Sonic Adventure, Super Mario 64, Luigi 's Mansion, Crash Bandicoot 5: Wrath of Cortex, I could go on forever. Everything about them is great. You have the graphics, the sounds, the originality and an adventure that will surprise you at every corner. But I have you completed these games? You see the start and think. "Oh my God, this looks great" It opens up a whole new world to you and introduces you to what is about to happen. This all sounds great but when you complete the game do you find the end sequence, well.. to be a bit shallow? Don't get me wrong there are some games that have mind blowing endings, but I find some to be a little less than spectacular.

Take Luigi's Mansion for example. You start off walking into a mansion looking for Mario. You enter the mansion and find hundreds of ghosts. You then find a little wierd professor and he then explains to you the story. (Mario has been kidnapped. You must save him blah blah blah) This sucks you in so you play and eventually find Mario. Wow! Great fun. But when you do beat the final boss and find Mario it may not seem like a great way to finish such a great game. If anyone has not completed this and I tell you then sorry. Luigi then grabs Mario, takes him to an odd machine and transforms him back from a painting to his original self. Next Luigi laughs uses the money he finds and builds a new mansion to live in and that is about it. It makes sense to you but may not be the greatest ending. Wheres them leaving or building this new mansion. Wheres the new features or funny ends to this perfect game.

Another game like this is Sonic Adventure. The story begins with Sonic sitting down relaxing talking for a while and looking towards the sky. Suddenly he sees Tails shooting down towards a beach. Funny enough this is your first level to complete and when you do the story then gradually unfolds creating the perfect opening story. Wow, you think. But yet again where's the great ending to a great game. In the end you beat Dr. Eggman and jump from a huge height off his gadget ship onto the grassy banks of Mystic Ruins. You then run with tails along with some music you hear throughout the game constantly and that's the end. Not great at all. Well pretty pants to be exact.

From these two examples you can clearly see that the ending is a little dire. You want more than this rubbish. You've played the game that has taken you over 3 weeks to complete and the end is over in one minute. "What that was it?" Right about now you'll be eating you underwear or shoes or something and shouting out words that I can't write down. These are great games don't get me wrong, but like I've said the ends are very short, rubbish and inconclusive. (sort of) You'll be asking "What happens to Sonic next? Does he run into a pit and meet up with Blackwood for an interview for the U.K.?" or "Do the 22 ghosts you captured escape and wreak havoc again" I don't think so. It is pretty obvious this doesn't happen I know but they have to tell us what happens.

I want many things in a game. I want graphics, sounds and so on... But we also want many things from the ending too. I want the same graphics throughout the game. No problems there as all do this fine. I want sounds to be top notch. This means if there should be talking then let there be real voices and none of this text on the bottom of your screen rubbish as it just doesn't get the same atmosphere there should be. I also want a good ending that makes sense. There should be no trash where you have a character waking up from a dream (which was the game you were just playing) and just going out to play football or something. No inconclusive rubbish either where you finish the game and your character runs into the sunset. NO!!!! That sucks. We want long, fun to watch movies. Ones similar to the start movie that kept you on the edge of your seat and made you play for 3 heavy weeks. If I had to choose a great one it would have t be Metal Gear Solid 2. It is just like a living movie. Great looking and great fun.

So overall I feel that a game is equally important to the graphics, sounds and everything else in a game. We want long, fun, concluding and great looking, not short, boring, wierd and horrible to look at. This all makes playing the game worth while and I hope you agree with me too.

Thanks for reading

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.