GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Ok, Gamecube first impressions"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 06/05/02 at 19:29
Regular
Controllers lovely, looks lovely, logo is smoothly animated annoying sound effects on it... and the menu system is fantastic.

Right, got that out of the way, now onto games.

Rogue Leader is... well... fantastic.

The graphics really are the most amazing I've ever seen, and the damn thing is silky smooth ALL the time. The longest I've had to wait for something to load is four seconds, which I still can't believe.

Gameplay? Fantastic. Even without the graphics or Star Wars license it's a fun little game. And while the ground levels are ok, and nice and all... it's the space battles that I really love. The detail in the backgrounds makes it difficult to actually concentrate on shooting things, and you just kinda stare into it, and watch as four Ties come up behind you and pummle your Y-Wing.

The only real problem I have is more my fault that anyones. I have poorish eyesight, and I find it difficult to see the Tie's floating around... I know I'm supposed to use the targetting computer and all, but I just say, you know, it's ok, I'm alright.

(Nobody's going to get that.)

I know.

Music isn't really that good... perhaps it's just my speaker system, but the instruments seem a little... clinky. Must get surround sound.

And... that's about it. Other than that it's fantastic.

----------

I never had high hopes for Luigi's Mansion. I knew it was going to suck... but hey, I didn't have to pay for it, thanks SR. :0)

But oddly enough, it doesn't suck. Well Luigi does, but that's the whole point. I bet you anything if this wins gad that's the line that will be quoted. :0D

Anywho. It's really actually good fun. The vacumning thing does take... some... skill... And I've died a few times, so it's not really a childishy baby game. Not saying it's not hard, just not too easy. Some of the puzzles are fantastic... not hard, just make you smile.

And without a doubt the best animation I've ever seen ever, film or otherwise. The way you can suck at curtains or table clothes, and drag them away... just everything about it is incredibly detailed and beautiful. And it just happens to be fun too. :0)

But it's short. I've nearly completed it now... which does annoy me, but I do have the urge to play it again after I've finished, which is nice. If I had bought it... I'd be a bit bothered about it, to be honest. It's far too short to be worth the price, but still, excellent fun while it lasts.

So, rent it, or win it. :0) Don't buy.

------------

Super Monkey Ball!

Super damn Monkey Ball!

It's ok. Pretty good fun, the music suits it well, damn fast game. Must play more so I can unlock stuff.

It's a skill based game... so if you're the type that prefers games where you have to perfect yourself, and be the best, then this is for you. Fans of racing games will love this.

But it's cool, yes. Monkey sky diving has disappointed me, because I was hoping you would jump out of a plane, and go down... but you actually just kinda glide straight along. See, if I made games, I'd make them better.

I should play it more really, but Luigi's Mansion and Rogue Leader are taking up my time at the moment.

-----------------

Sonic Adventure 2.

I read somewhere that it had "serious camera problems".

I thought: "Hey, you know... I don't mind so much... Sonic Adventure 1 was ok."

SA 2 is worse.

It's horrible. You can't see anything, you can't do anything. The camera just points where it wants to, and you're supposed to pick loads of stuff up really quickly, but you can hardly ever see it. Run back, and you'll vanish. It really is quite bad.

I did the first Sonic level, went to the Chao garden, then saved and left it. Not fun. I'll give it another go later.

------------

All in all, actually much more pleased than I'd hoped. Rogue Leader and Luigi's Mansion are much better than I thought, Monkey Ball's sky diving isn't as good as I would have made it, but still pretty fun, and Sonic 2 sucks, because it's so linear.

But still very pleased. Looking forward to more games, but Rogue Leader and Luigi's Mansion will keep me going for a long time. Then when I complete Luigi's [Rogue Leader is going to take AGES], I'll get going with Monkey Ball.

And then Pikmin and Smash Bros are coming anyway.

Here's to the future.

Dringo.
Thu 02/12/04 at 21:14
Regular
"Catch it!"
Super monkey ball is very good
Tue 30/11/04 at 11:48
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Is that the one when you're in the turret? I can't remember.

I've got gold on pretty much all of them. Cracking game it was.
Tue 30/11/04 at 11:15
Regular
"mechwarrior72"
how the hell do u manage 2 get a gold medal on death star attack on rougue leader for the 'cube, theres no way 2 do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wed 08/09/04 at 03:05
RBS is back!!!!

*sob sob*
Sun 12/05/02 at 16:32
Regular
"You've upset me"
Heheheh, didn't know you still had that account, Monkey :-D
Sun 12/05/02 at 15:28
Regular
"One Of A Kind"
The Gamecube is great.

The Controller is easy to use and is comfortable in your hand, the downside to me of the controller is the placement of the z button it seems out of place.

Apart from that though the consoles as a whole is superb. Theres quick loading times and an easy to use interface the black console looks better than purple to me as this is the colour i have.

Both games i have Luigi Mansion and Star Wars: Rogue Squardon 2 are both great games are easy to pick up and play with not too much both.

Most Games and peripherals are not badly priced as well in my opinion.

The Gamecube is doing great and will do even bet as time will tell and with the lanch of the next lot of games even more people will buy it.

I will be getting Super Monkey Ball next and i can't wait to buy and play it.

Gamecube Rules!!!!
Sun 12/05/02 at 15:22
Hurray for the return of random comments!
Sun 12/05/02 at 15:18
Regular
"simpsons rule"
i think it looks great
Sun 12/05/02 at 13:04
Regular
"You've upset me"
Grix Thraves wrote:
> Hmmm, I think the majority of Gamecube owners wouldn't know what to do
> with breasts anyway, which is nice.

Br-bre-breasts? what are they?
Sun 12/05/02 at 12:58
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Suck them?

Hmmmm.....there are two ways of interpreting that.

I meant as in feeding....off the milk....like a child. You know, since GameCube is supposed to be for lil'kids.

Bah, forget it! :-D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.