GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gaming GCSE"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 05/05/02 at 14:05
Regular
Wouldn’t this subject just rule?! I’m sure there’d be thousands of kids taking this GCSE all over the world!

----------------------------------------

* The Course *

The course is suitable not only for students aiming for the GCSE examination, but also for anyone who has recently acquired a games console and wants to know how to get the best out of it: the emphasis throughout is on the practical use of game consoles.

Each lesson begins with a set of clearly stated objectives and an explanation of its place in the overall programme of study.
Effective learning is encouraged through frequent activities and self-assessment questions, and there is guidance for the preparation of coursework.

There are seven tutor-marked assignments and two practice exams.
Previous knowledge of gaming is not assumed or required.

* Key Topics Covered *

The course covers the entire syllabus in seven modules, with an eighth on coursework:

- Playing games
- Social effects of Gaming
- Finger dexterity
- Controller usage
- Game Development
- Game Behaviours
- Web-based games

Students are introduced to the skills required to use a wide variety of software, including EA’s Fifa, Gran Turismo, Grand Theft Auto, Sonic, Mario and many more. They are also guided round the various hardware components they are likely to come across, such as the Playstation 2, Gamecube, X BOX, and PC.

* The Syllabus *

This course prepares students for AQA GCSE Gaming syllabus 3822, for exams in 2003 and later years.
Assessment is by one written paper (40%) and coursework (60% of which 40% is practical).

* Coursework *

Students are required to submit two pieces of coursework, each piece aimed at a specific assessment objective.

Practical Coursework:

The candidate must choose 4 games from at least 2 gaming genres as well as completing a finger exercise/training programme.

The candidate will be assessed on their ability to:

1. Complete the game within the quickest time possible
2. Selection and application of skills/techniques in the gaming situation
3. Understand, observe and apply rules and conventions
4. Evidence of the ability to Analyse and take action to improve their own and others' performance
5. Use all fingers at the same time

* Recommended Textbook *

Special Reserve Discount Magazine, GCSE Gaming for Students, PC Zone, Playstation 2 Official Magazine, Ninty GCSE

* Special Requirements *

To undertake the exercises and assignments in this course, you will need access to a games console (Playstation, Gamecube, X Box or PC).

Thanks for Reading and Hope you enjoyed!
Sun 05/05/02 at 14:23
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Good post but there are 2 words on this page that I find rather funny....

SPICE BOY!!!!

Are you trying to get it ripped out of you or is it just a joke?
Sun 05/05/02 at 14:08
Regular
"**I'm Disposable**"
Nice, I did a topic similar to this in the sony forum 'a gaming lesson at school' give it a read and reply to it :) Its to do with what your talking about
Sun 05/05/02 at 14:05
Wouldn’t this subject just rule?! I’m sure there’d be thousands of kids taking this GCSE all over the world!

* The Course *

The course is suitable not only for students aiming for the GCSE examination, but also for anyone who has recently acquired a games console and wants to know how to get the best out of it: the emphasis throughout is on the practical use of game consoles.

Each lesson begins with a set of clearly stated objectives and an explanation of its place in the overall programme of study.
Effective learning is encouraged through frequent activities and self-assessment questions, and there is guidance for the preparation of coursework.

There are seven tutor-marked assignments and two practice exams.
Previous knowledge of gaming is not assumed or required.

* Key Topics Covered *

The course covers the entire syllabus in seven modules, with an eighth on coursework:

- Playing games
- Social effects of Gaming
- Finger dexterity
- Controller usage
- Game Development
- Game Behaviours
- Web-based games

Students are introduced to the skills required to use a wide variety of software, including EA’s Fifa, Gran Turismo, Grand Theft Auto, Sonic, Mario and many more. They are also guided round the various hardware components they are likely to come across, such as the Playstation 2, Gamecube, X BOX, and PC.

* The Syllabus *

This course prepares students for AQA GCSE Gaming syllabus 3822, for exams in 2003 and later years.
Assessment is by one written paper (40%) and coursework (60% of which 40% is practical).

* Coursework *

Students are required to submit two pieces of coursework, each piece aimed at a specific assessment objective.

Practical Coursework:

The candidate must choose 4 games from at least 2 gaming genres as well as completing a finger exercise/training programme.

The candidate will be assessed on their ability to:

1. Complete the game within the quickest time possible
2. Selection and application of skills/techniques in the gaming situation
3. Understand, observe and apply rules and conventions
4. Evidence of the ability to Analyse and take action to improve their own and others' performance
5. Use all fingers at the same time

* Recommended Textbook *

Special Reserve Discount Magazine, GCSE Gaming for Students, PC Zone, Playstation 2 Official Magazine, Ninty GCSE

* Special Requirements *

To undertake the exercises and assignments in this course, you will need access to a games console (Playstation, Gamecube, X Box or PC).

Thanks for Reading and Hope you enjoyed!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.