GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why the Dreamcast failed...."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 05/05/02 at 12:19
Regular
I have no idea but anyway after having my Dreamcast for about 3 Months I have decided to sell it. Not really my cup of tea the games aren't intresting enough, sure there's some quality games but there aren't enough to warrant me keeping it.

Shenmue was amazing, Jet Set Radio was great while it lasted, Crazy Taxi was ummm short, Sonic Adventure was fun for 5 minutes and the rest where unspeakably boring.

Anyway, anyone want a Dreamcast for £80 with 19 games and a hell of a lot of other stuff?
Sun 05/05/02 at 12:19
Regular
I have no idea but anyway after having my Dreamcast for about 3 Months I have decided to sell it. Not really my cup of tea the games aren't intresting enough, sure there's some quality games but there aren't enough to warrant me keeping it.

Shenmue was amazing, Jet Set Radio was great while it lasted, Crazy Taxi was ummm short, Sonic Adventure was fun for 5 minutes and the rest where unspeakably boring.

Anyway, anyone want a Dreamcast for £80 with 19 games and a hell of a lot of other stuff?
Sun 05/05/02 at 16:06
Regular
"Long time no see!"
What are the 19 games, and what exactly is all the 'lot of stuff'???
Sun 05/05/02 at 16:28
Regular
The lot of stuff is 2 Official Controllers, Memory Card, Utopia Boot disk, VCD Bootdisk, all the doodars to run the Internet, a few demo disks and I think that's it.

Pal Originals
Jet Set Radio
Shenmue
MSR
Sonic Adventure
Quake 3
Resident Evil 3
MDK 2
Fur Fighters
Capcom Vs SNK
Tech Romancer
Sega Rally 2
Ferrari F355: Passion Rosa
Tomb Raider the last Revelation
Chu Chu Rocket
Fighting Force 2
Mortal Combat Gold
UEFA Striker

Copied games
Sonic Adventure 2
GTA 2
Star Wars:Jedi Power battles
Mon 06/05/02 at 17:22
"Mimmargh!"
I only had my Dreamcast since last August and with the arrival of Gamcube it's back to the cupboard with it...
Though I though Fur Fighters ruled.
Tue 07/05/02 at 16:42
Regular
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> Shenmue was amazing, Jet Set Radio was great while it lasted, Crazy
> Taxi was ummm short, Sonic Adventure was fun for 5 minutes and the
> rest where unspeakably boring.

But the Dreamcast's life was cut short before it fully matured.
If more people had bought the "1st" next-gen console in it's first year, Dreamcasters would NOW be looking forward to Jet Set Radio Future, Shenmue 3, Virtua Fighter 4, Crazy Taxi 3, and many many more on the DC.

The reason the Dreamcast failed is because people like you didn't buy one until it was dirt cheap.
Why didn't you buy one earlier?
Let me guess: You were ar$ing about on a PSone.

The DC didn't fail because of "boring" games, it failed because people like you only bought one when you realized you could take advantage.
Wed 08/05/02 at 20:43
Regular
Nomad_Soul wrote:
> Why didn't you buy one earlier?
> Let me guess: You were about on a PSone.

Nope I was about on an N64 and now I shall be about on a Gamecube that's why i'm selling my Cast.
Thu 09/05/02 at 16:21
Regular
"bit of a brain"
You should have given your Dreamcast more of a chance. I don’t know how many games you have, but if you are selling it then you can’t have that many games. The Dreamcast was the best console (and still is) for arcade games. If you like to play a little for a short time, a quick burst of entertainment, then you should love the Dreamcast.
Also, I understand that while everybody doesn’t enjoy arcade games, how could you not buy Virtua Tennis? Or Virtua tennis 2? What is wrong with you, and where is Shenmue 2?
Fri 10/05/02 at 00:21
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
You still got a N64 Tilt, I'll swap you Shenmue for something.

Conker? Actually we'll be here a while if I listed them and I don't even know if you have a 64 still yet.

I don't particulary fancy parting with my GC games.
Fri 10/05/02 at 22:24
Regular
"Remember me?"
Nomad_Soul wrote:

> But the Dreamcast's life was cut short before it fully matured.
> If more people had bought the "1st" next-gen console in it's
> first year, Dreamcasters would NOW be looking forward to Jet Set Radio
> Future, Shenmue 3, Virtua Fighter 4, Crazy Taxi 3, and many many more
> on the DC.
>
> The reason the Dreamcast failed is because people like you didn't buy
> one until it was dirt cheap.
> Why didn't you buy one earlier?
> Let me guess: You were ar$ing about on a PSone.
>
> The DC didn't fail because of "boring" games, it failed
> because people like you only bought one when you realized you could
> take advantage.

Well, that's not completely true now is it? Now, as much as I love SEGA to pieces and as much as I love playing on my Dreamcast...you can't blame the Dreamcast's unfortunate demise JUST on the people who waited for the price to drop until buying one. SEGA's advertising strategy for the Dreamcast wasn't exactly fool proof, now was it? Throwing millions of yen around to sponsor Arsenal FC, and broadcasting TV ads with nothing but the swirly logo and the word "Dreamcast" without any mention of SEGA themselves, what the Dreamcast actually was or actual footage of games was never going to be voted as the best marketing campaign in history...

Obviously the technique adopted by most people in buying the Dreamcast didn't help the console in any way, but it's not really fair to blame those people entirely...when it's clear that SEGA's inept skills at marketing where just as much to blame.

And that has nothing to do with the fact that I waited until September 2001 to buy a Dreamcast...honest.
Fri 10/05/02 at 22:35
Regular
Yeah I went a bit over-the-top, but I was angered by Tiltawhirl saying that most Dreamcast games are "unspeakably boring".

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.