GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Who wants to know?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 01/05/02 at 11:40
Regular
TV listings magazines spend page after page telling you what is going to happen in this weeks programmes, particularly soaps, but why would we want to know that? If we're fans of the show we'll watch it anyway, if we're not fans, why would we care? I could tell you what's going on in most of the soaps at the moment, without actually watching any of them!

How many times have you heard people at a cinema say they don't want to see a certain film because they don't know what it is about? Why do se week out spoilers?

Personally, I like to be surprised. I often rent movies without knowing the story, and won't pick up the film recommended by a friend, as he told me the whole story, I don't need to see it now, do I? Sometimes I pick up a turkey, but as I don't have any expectations of the movie, or know what will happen, I can't really be disappointed.

Is it that some people are really unable to follow a plot, and need constant clues as they go along? I've watched movies with people that have constantly asked questions. The thing is, I'm watching the same film, it has a plot, the questions will hopefully get answered before the end (unless it's a bad movie, that doesn't make sense). Either that or had they have been paying attention they would have been able to see what was going on.

Star Wars Episode 2 spoilers are everywhere at the moment, and I'm tempted to seek more out, but then I realise that I'll see when I get to watch the film. Why give away any twists in the tale?

Maybe the worst thing is that people will read the guide, and complain that the movie was predictable, or say they knew what the twist was, as they read it somewhere, so the film wasn't as good. They've only got themselves to blame!

I've been watching 24 every week since it started. Part of the enjoyment of it is that in each show something I didn't expect happens. Sometimes I can guess these before hand, which makes me feel smart, but other times I'm gob-smacked, and like the series even more for it. Waiting a week for the next episode is a bit of a killer, and can be quite frustrating, but I actually get a little annoyed when the commercial for the show comes on and gives away something. I'd rather see it as intended, as part of the show. I could easily search the web to see what happens in the coming weeks, but in all honesty it would ruin the program for me. So why do other people so love to do that?
Wed 01/05/02 at 19:35
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
I've been watching 24 since the beginning too. It is brilliant. By far the best thing on TV at the moment.

Not on for another 2 weeks now though! :-(

Tony has suddenly become the man! "I guess the last thing you needed was me giving you attitude, huh?" What a guy! :-D
Wed 01/05/02 at 19:24
Regular
"allardini's tagline"
In one sense, Fight Club had a misleading title, as it's definitely not all about fighting.
Wed 01/05/02 at 13:00
Regular
"Not your monkey"
They should show what has already happened in the preview bits. This way, avid viewers do not get annoyed and those who become interested by the advert would get at leaast a little background if they tuned into the next episode.

I don't understand why they show 'future' bits either. That '24' you mentioned is a prime offender
Wed 01/05/02 at 12:56
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Agreed.

What I do find odd is the recent practice with some soaps of showing "next episode" type segments as the credits roll.
Wed 01/05/02 at 12:54
"Darkness, always"
Well, obviously the publication of "tid-bits" of information about "what will happen" in this weeks episode of program X, is all really about publicity.

You might think, "oh no, not that crappy show" but when you hear that such and such is going to happen in it, you might decide to give it a go.

If programs relied on TV advertising alone to sell themselves, I doubt they would be greatly successful
Wed 01/05/02 at 12:43
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Sometimes knowing a bit about the plot is good though. There was a film called 'screwed', which I was told was about a dog being kidnapped. So I prepared myself for some God-awful family comedy, but it was actually really funny. The dog was kidnapped and released within about 15 minutes and the rest of the film was hilarious.

Some films are misleading though. Maniac Cop, for example. The title suggests a video nasty, but not that many people get killed and it's just as much about public reaction and mass hysteria as it is about a maniac for a cop. Good film.
Wed 01/05/02 at 11:40
Regular
"not dead"
TV listings magazines spend page after page telling you what is going to happen in this weeks programmes, particularly soaps, but why would we want to know that? If we're fans of the show we'll watch it anyway, if we're not fans, why would we care? I could tell you what's going on in most of the soaps at the moment, without actually watching any of them!

How many times have you heard people at a cinema say they don't want to see a certain film because they don't know what it is about? Why do se week out spoilers?

Personally, I like to be surprised. I often rent movies without knowing the story, and won't pick up the film recommended by a friend, as he told me the whole story, I don't need to see it now, do I? Sometimes I pick up a turkey, but as I don't have any expectations of the movie, or know what will happen, I can't really be disappointed.

Is it that some people are really unable to follow a plot, and need constant clues as they go along? I've watched movies with people that have constantly asked questions. The thing is, I'm watching the same film, it has a plot, the questions will hopefully get answered before the end (unless it's a bad movie, that doesn't make sense). Either that or had they have been paying attention they would have been able to see what was going on.

Star Wars Episode 2 spoilers are everywhere at the moment, and I'm tempted to seek more out, but then I realise that I'll see when I get to watch the film. Why give away any twists in the tale?

Maybe the worst thing is that people will read the guide, and complain that the movie was predictable, or say they knew what the twist was, as they read it somewhere, so the film wasn't as good. They've only got themselves to blame!

I've been watching 24 every week since it started. Part of the enjoyment of it is that in each show something I didn't expect happens. Sometimes I can guess these before hand, which makes me feel smart, but other times I'm gob-smacked, and like the series even more for it. Waiting a week for the next episode is a bit of a killer, and can be quite frustrating, but I actually get a little annoyed when the commercial for the show comes on and gives away something. I'd rather see it as intended, as part of the show. I could easily search the web to see what happens in the coming weeks, but in all honesty it would ruin the program for me. So why do other people so love to do that?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.