GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Soldier of Fortune: Payback"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Soldier of Fortune: Payback'.
Fri 25/01/08 at 00:12
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Many of you have probably heard of the solider of fortune games which appeared on the PC and Xbox. Good fun first person shooters with nice storylines and fun online modes. The game now makes it's debut on the Xbox360 but how does it fair with the likes of Call of Duty 4?

Graphically a lot of the game is impressive – some stunning backdrops and locations look fantastic in high definition. There are also some rather nice character details and animations – particularly some of the enemy dying actions. Sadly though when you get closer to things the impressive details vanish and you're left with grainy textures and poor looking objects.

The storyline is pretty much what you get with every first person shooter these days – bad terrorists need to be stopped and your the man to tackle the mission. You're taken around the globe to various locations throughout the game but sadly this doesn't make a weak storyline any better. There are no in game sequences that add to the story which were used pretty effectively in the previous soldier of fortune games. Also the ending – which I wont spoil is one of the worst I've ever seen.

The enemy A.I is shocking at times. While they can be accurate in the harder game setting they still follow a pretty specific path which always seems to have them bunch together in open areas waiting for you to shoot them to pieces. At times even running away from you without shooting just to reach this specific point. There's no hiding behind objects or shooting from cover and a few hits on each enemy and they are dead.
Well that is until you reach each of the main boss characters. It would seem they have skin made of kevlar and require a good few clips before they fall.

I think it's fair to say the most impressive thing in this game is the gore in some of the kills. Each limb of an enemy can be shoot off in some over the top ways and while it may not be very realistic at times it is quite funny to watch legs and arms being shot all over the place as you progress through the game.
There isn't much more satisfying in the game than using the sniper rifle to remove an enemies head from distance.

The online play isn't any better, while all the usual game modes are present there just doesn't seem to be much enjoyment from it and certainly not enough variety to keep you wanting to go back again and again for more of the same.

When you compare soldier of fortune to call of duty 4 it feels dates, looks and plays far inferior and lacks that special something to make it stand out from the crowd.
While the game may be enjoyable to play through once, there will be very few that will want to play through again -even in an attempt to obtain some more achievements. I'm glad I only borrowed it from a friend as I would have felt robbed paying anything more than £10 for this. It's worth a rental if you enjoy your first person shooters or want a laugh at some of the over the top gore kills but anyone silly enough to buy this at full price really should find better ways to spend their cash.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Fri 25/01/08 at 00:12
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Many of you have probably heard of the solider of fortune games which appeared on the PC and Xbox. Good fun first person shooters with nice storylines and fun online modes. The game now makes it's debut on the Xbox360 but how does it fair with the likes of Call of Duty 4?

Graphically a lot of the game is impressive – some stunning backdrops and locations look fantastic in high definition. There are also some rather nice character details and animations – particularly some of the enemy dying actions. Sadly though when you get closer to things the impressive details vanish and you're left with grainy textures and poor looking objects.

The storyline is pretty much what you get with every first person shooter these days – bad terrorists need to be stopped and your the man to tackle the mission. You're taken around the globe to various locations throughout the game but sadly this doesn't make a weak storyline any better. There are no in game sequences that add to the story which were used pretty effectively in the previous soldier of fortune games. Also the ending – which I wont spoil is one of the worst I've ever seen.

The enemy A.I is shocking at times. While they can be accurate in the harder game setting they still follow a pretty specific path which always seems to have them bunch together in open areas waiting for you to shoot them to pieces. At times even running away from you without shooting just to reach this specific point. There's no hiding behind objects or shooting from cover and a few hits on each enemy and they are dead.
Well that is until you reach each of the main boss characters. It would seem they have skin made of kevlar and require a good few clips before they fall.

I think it's fair to say the most impressive thing in this game is the gore in some of the kills. Each limb of an enemy can be shoot off in some over the top ways and while it may not be very realistic at times it is quite funny to watch legs and arms being shot all over the place as you progress through the game.
There isn't much more satisfying in the game than using the sniper rifle to remove an enemies head from distance.

The online play isn't any better, while all the usual game modes are present there just doesn't seem to be much enjoyment from it and certainly not enough variety to keep you wanting to go back again and again for more of the same.

When you compare soldier of fortune to call of duty 4 it feels dates, looks and plays far inferior and lacks that special something to make it stand out from the crowd.
While the game may be enjoyable to play through once, there will be very few that will want to play through again -even in an attempt to obtain some more achievements. I'm glad I only borrowed it from a friend as I would have felt robbed paying anything more than £10 for this. It's worth a rental if you enjoy your first person shooters or want a laugh at some of the over the top gore kills but anyone silly enough to buy this at full price really should find better ways to spend their cash.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.