GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"how can nintendo sell the gamecube for only £130"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 30/04/02 at 01:45
Regular
especially when you consider that both microsoft and sony seem to think nothing of asking more than double this at launch.
is it simply that nintendos machine is cheaper to build or is it because nintendo decided not to rip off its faithfull following unlike the afore mentioned sony and microsoft
Tue 30/04/02 at 18:27
Regular
"are you serious"
Meka Dragon wrote:
> Well Nintendo has more affordable parts, I believe, and Nintendo will
> make more money back from games than either Sony or Microsoft, as they
> develop there own games for the system. If everyone that buys a
> Gamecube buys a couple of 1st party titles, they'll rake it in, and
> honestly, who won't buy at least two of these titles: Mario Sunshine,
> Mario Kart, Zelda, Luigi's Mansion, Wave Race, Pikmin, Super Smash
> Bros etc?

whilst im not sure that nintendo does indeed have more affordable parts
i agree entireley that nintendo do make the vast majority of their profits
by developing their own games most of the biggest selling games on any nintendo console are in-house and u r right who isnt gonna have a couple of nintendos gems sooner rather than later
Tue 30/04/02 at 17:28
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
chachaman wrote:
> look, the reason why it is 130 before it is launched here is clear and
> easy to understand.
> ....the gamecube cost less than £60 to make or even 30,

Yeah right! I think a Gamecube will cost more than that to build.
Tue 30/04/02 at 17:09
look, the reason why it is 130 before it is launched here is clear and easy to understand.
....the gamecube cost less than £60 to make or even 30, nintendo are still gonna make some profit from their £130 console. ALSO the price 130 was also made to compete with xbox 194 even if nintendo deny this.
Tue 30/04/02 at 14:33
Regular
"Well hit on me..."
Also Sony and Micro'cough' are under pressure not to make there consoles cheaper than good DVD players.
Tue 30/04/02 at 14:28
Regular
"May Contain Nuts"
There was a topic about this ages ago when everyone found out that the price was going to be about £150. One reason they can keep the cost down is because the console, unlike the others is a games console. Everyone talks about console wars, but the only true consoles are the PS1 and N64 and GC. The reason is because the others PS2 & X-Box are multi-entertainment centers. Because they GC doesnt play DVD's and alike the price of making it is cheaper. This is why the Panosonic Q is so much more in price. If this is the price now, just think about how low the price will drop after a year. The others have dropped down to around £200 but what price would the GC drop to.

I donnt think that the price would drop that much as it would seem worthless being able to build a console of that power and selling it at high price when you can sell it at a low price and sell more. Sony and Microsoft have dropped their prices already dramaticly showing that they were ripping the first load of buyers off. But that is a business thing, they exsist to create a profit!
Tue 30/04/02 at 14:20
Regular
"Well hit on me..."
If you think about it, all consoles are loss leaders, even at 300 quid. The x-box PS2 and GC are all a top spec PC really - which costs about £1,500 if you bought a PC.

They make all of there money on games.... There cost very little to make and mass produce really.
Tue 30/04/02 at 11:40
Regular
"not dead"
Well Nintendo has more affordable parts, I believe, and Nintendo will make more money back from games than either Sony or Microsoft, as they develop there own games for the system. If everyone that buys a Gamecube buys a couple of 1st party titles, they'll rake it in, and honestly, who won't buy at least two of these titles: Mario Sunshine, Mario Kart, Zelda, Luigi's Mansion, Wave Race, Pikmin, Super Smash Bros etc?
Tue 30/04/02 at 01:45
Regular
"are you serious"
especially when you consider that both microsoft and sony seem to think nothing of asking more than double this at launch.
is it simply that nintendos machine is cheaper to build or is it because nintendo decided not to rip off its faithfull following unlike the afore mentioned sony and microsoft

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.