GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A perfect sequal"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 27/04/02 at 16:37
Regular
We have all seen the great games like Sonic The Hedgehog, Resident Evil and Super Mario. They all have the things that every game needs to be perfect. Mario has bright new shiny ideas, Sonic has cool speedy zig-zag areas and Resident Evil has all the blood and gore you could ever need. But what is so bad about all this and what is the point in this topic? Well when a game is a great seller it is usually made into a sequal. Yeah and that's a good thing right? Well not all the time is it a good thing, and I can tell you that when a game becomes a sequal it can really disappoint some people. Sonic Adventure 2 I think was not as good as the first and the same applies to Crazy Taxi and Crash Bandicoot Wrath of Cortex. They all didn't have the excitment and pleasure you get out of other games. But I'm not saying all sequals are not as good as their originals. I mean Metal gear Solid 2 rocked and so did Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 and 3. The thing I'm trying to ask here is what is needed in a great sequal?

Well with this question there are a lot of answers indeed. Firstly I shall begin with the graphics. When the first game is played we see the graphics and think "Wow that's great" and it is what attracts us to keep playing it. Whether it's beautiful gardens or dark gloomy mansions the graphics are always great. Now when the sequal is played you would expect the graphics to be the same and not be some rubbish, looks as if it was done really quickly kind of game. We expect the graphics to be the same or possibly even better. Cool and smooth not blurred and rushed.

Next is the sound. Like the graphics we want the sound to be perfect. It has to be the same or better than the original. There should be crisp clear sound effects and music that will be engraved in your mind forever. A great example is Luigi's Mansion and although this is not a sequal it has the greatest lightning effects ever heard and a music tune that will have you humming it for hours on end. So I think it is safe to say that the sound needs to be at least as good as the first game.

Two other similar ideas is the controls of the game which needs to be kept exactly the same with a few nw extras, but nothing that will change the game so badly that you won't recognise what your playing. And also the lastability is the same as the graphics and sound. It needs to be as good as it's game before and last long, because it is no good playing a game that is so good and it only lasting half an hour.

Probably the most important thing in a sequal is to include lots of new ideas and not keep it nearly the same as the first. New story lines, characters and moves or weapons always works well and makes the sequal sometimes better than the first. Metal Gear Solid 2 was great as it had a brand new story line, great graphics and new characters and moves. Games like Crash Bandicoot Wrath of Cortex have the same type of levels and nothing newer than the originals. These two are examples of both sides of what is perfect (Metal Gear Solid 2) and average (Crash Bandicoot Wrath of Cortex)This is important in a sequal and is really important in any game. For example you don't see Mario repeating what looks like the same levels in Mario Advance 2 do you? No.

So overall I think that not only do all these things apply to a sequal, but also to every game. Whether it's a completely original idea or a game like Sonic it needs these things. And finally before you go buying sequals check the reviews on it as you may be surprised at it's score. Very surprised indeed.

Thanks for reading
Sun 28/04/02 at 19:39
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
The best sequal I've ever played is probably Metal Gear Solid 2. What are yours?
Sun 28/04/02 at 19:39
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
The best sequal I've ever played is probably Metal Gear Solid 2. What are yours?
Sun 28/04/02 at 14:26
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
Thanks RM18. I had to do a good post yesterday because I have some exams in one week and I will have to revise all next week. I hope this has a tiny chance of winning gameaday or else I'll have to wait for two weeks to try again.
Sat 27/04/02 at 21:10
Regular
Good post
Sat 27/04/02 at 16:37
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
We have all seen the great games like Sonic The Hedgehog, Resident Evil and Super Mario. They all have the things that every game needs to be perfect. Mario has bright new shiny ideas, Sonic has cool speedy zig-zag areas and Resident Evil has all the blood and gore you could ever need. But what is so bad about all this and what is the point in this topic? Well when a game is a great seller it is usually made into a sequal. Yeah and that's a good thing right? Well not all the time is it a good thing, and I can tell you that when a game becomes a sequal it can really disappoint some people. Sonic Adventure 2 I think was not as good as the first and the same applies to Crazy Taxi and Crash Bandicoot Wrath of Cortex. They all didn't have the excitment and pleasure you get out of other games. But I'm not saying all sequals are not as good as their originals. I mean Metal gear Solid 2 rocked and so did Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 and 3. The thing I'm trying to ask here is what is needed in a great sequal?

Well with this question there are a lot of answers indeed. Firstly I shall begin with the graphics. When the first game is played we see the graphics and think "Wow that's great" and it is what attracts us to keep playing it. Whether it's beautiful gardens or dark gloomy mansions the graphics are always great. Now when the sequal is played you would expect the graphics to be the same and not be some rubbish, looks as if it was done really quickly kind of game. We expect the graphics to be the same or possibly even better. Cool and smooth not blurred and rushed.

Next is the sound. Like the graphics we want the sound to be perfect. It has to be the same or better than the original. There should be crisp clear sound effects and music that will be engraved in your mind forever. A great example is Luigi's Mansion and although this is not a sequal it has the greatest lightning effects ever heard and a music tune that will have you humming it for hours on end. So I think it is safe to say that the sound needs to be at least as good as the first game.

Two other similar ideas is the controls of the game which needs to be kept exactly the same with a few nw extras, but nothing that will change the game so badly that you won't recognise what your playing. And also the lastability is the same as the graphics and sound. It needs to be as good as it's game before and last long, because it is no good playing a game that is so good and it only lasting half an hour.

Probably the most important thing in a sequal is to include lots of new ideas and not keep it nearly the same as the first. New story lines, characters and moves or weapons always works well and makes the sequal sometimes better than the first. Metal Gear Solid 2 was great as it had a brand new story line, great graphics and new characters and moves. Games like Crash Bandicoot Wrath of Cortex have the same type of levels and nothing newer than the originals. These two are examples of both sides of what is perfect (Metal Gear Solid 2) and average (Crash Bandicoot Wrath of Cortex)This is important in a sequal and is really important in any game. For example you don't see Mario repeating what looks like the same levels in Mario Advance 2 do you? No.

So overall I think that not only do all these things apply to a sequal, but also to every game. Whether it's a completely original idea or a game like Sonic it needs these things. And finally before you go buying sequals check the reviews on it as you may be surprised at it's score. Very surprised indeed.

Thanks for reading

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.