GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"SSC 17: System of a Damned"

The "Creative Writing" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 18/01/08 at 19:13
Regular
"What's basketball?"
“Hey Marc, come check out this cool looking games system I found. It was just sitting on top of a waste bin outside. It’s amazing!” said 16 year old Luke Elliot over the home telephone. “What were you doing looking in a waste bin?” replied Marc Johnstone, his best friend. Luke ignored his remark and continued, “So anyway, I took it to Gamestation and asked them what system it was, but they told me they have never seen it before in their lives. I even tried Game, and they said the same thing. So I was like, ‘whoa, this must be one of a kind or somethin’ and I tried hooking it up to the downstairs telly. After a bit of fiddling around and stuff I finally got it to work. Man, it is SO awesome! You’ve gotta come see this; there was even a game already in it when I found it and everythin.” Marc let out a short yawn, before saying “Fine, I’ll go check it out”.

When Marc arrived at Luke’s house, he rang the doorbell and Luke answered it. “Alright mate?” greeted Luke. Marc just walked right in and asked “So, where is this ‘awesome’ new system of yours?" Luke led Marc into the living room, where his game system was set up. Luke immediately switched it on and grabbed a controller. Marc watched patiently. The title screen came up. ”Secret Spy” Luke pressed the start button and, before long, the game was ready to be played.

A quite tall, skinny man wearing only black stood in the middle of a large town. Many vehicles and large buildings surrounded him. People walked by him suspiciously on the pavement. “Special Agent Jack Tucker,” Called a voice in his ear piece, “this is Colonel Richard Parr, your commanding officer. Do you understand your objective?” Tucker arranged his mouth piece and said “I find and take care of Mikhail Slonovski with any means necessary and avoid any contact with civilians. I then slip away unnoticed and return home to my family, who think I am your average Joe office worker.”

“And avoid civilian casualties at all costs.”

“Yeah, yeah.” Tucker replied, half-heartedly.

Tucker crouched down low and hide behind a parked car on the street. He spotted an unusual looking man coming around a street corner moments later. “I see Slonovski now” Tucker waited for Mikhail to walk by him until he followed slowly behind. Eventually the two of them reached an isolated area. Mikhail suddenly stopped for some reason. Tucker continued on, trying not to make a sound. Finally, Tucker reached out and snapped Mikhail Slonovski’s neck. The corpse hit the ground almost instantly.

“Now I’ve got to get him back home before the timer runs out.” Luke pointed up at a timer at the top of the television screen. Marc looked down at his watch, “That reminds me, I’ve gotta go man. Mum's cooking dinner so it’ll probably be done when I get home. See ya mate”

“Alright, in a bit.”

Marc exited Luke’s house and decided to take a shortcut back to his own home. The town they lived in wasn’t very big, so he arrived back at his house in minutes. He let himself in and called out “Hey everyone.” His presumption was correct, as his mother had just almost finished cooking his favourite meal, her special home-made chilli con carne. “Hello dear,” she greeted, “dinner will be ready shortly.”

“Alright, I’ll be back down in a minute” said Marc as he made his way upstairs. He went into the bathroom to freshen up a little. He could hear his little brother moaning again. He was always going on about something. Marc admired himself in the mirror a bit, popping spots and checking his hair. Anyone would think he was getting ready for a hot date or something.

He rushed down the stairs and into the kitchen so that he could grab the biggest portion of chilli con carne before anybody else. He took a can of coke from the fridge and a fork from a drawer.

Marc sat with his family in front of the television in the living room. The news was on. “…and today, 28 year old immigrant Mikhail Slonovski has reported dead. Doctors say his death was caused by a broken spine. Extraordinarily, there has been no evidence found that anybody was even anywhere near him at the time. CCTV footage shows Slonovski was alone when he died…”

Marc knew he had heard that name before, but his memory was so bad that he couldn’t quite place his finger on it. He thought about it for a few seconds until he finally remembered.

“Holy &$%£!”

Marc’s mother slapped him around the head. “What have I told you about using language like that?” she said. Marc rubbed his head and replied “Sorry mum. But you don‘t understand. My mate Luke-

“I don’t care about Luke. I don’t ever want to hear that word again!”

Marc didn’t say anything else after that. He finished his dinner quickly and went to put his dish in the kitchen sink before going out the front. His mother said something before he left, but he didn’t hear her. Marc headed back up to Luke’s house.

Marc banged on the front door of Luke’s house and screamed “OI! Let me in! It’s urgent!”

The door opened, and there stood Luke, puzzled, “What’s up, mate?”

“Luke! This is gonna sound weird, but have you killed anyone else on that game?”

Luke was even more puzzled now, “Why?”

“Just tell me!”

“Alright, calm down… Let’s see… There was that Donovan guy. Some dude named Alfonso…”

Marc pushed Luke out of the way and rushed into the house.

“What ya doin?” shouted Luke into the living room, which Marc was now in. Luke went to join him. Marc had just flipped over to the live news channel. “...Donovan Mclean, who was found dead on his front lawn, had a bullet hole the back of his head. The local authorities, however, claim that there was no bullet anywhere in the vicinity. There were a few witnesses at present but, bizarrely, none of them seem to have any recollection of the activity. Even more unusual was the death of ex-officer Alfonso Mendez, with multiple stab wounds in his chest, stomach and back, while his clothes appear to have remained completely untouched. Alfonso’s T-shirt and suit were both tucked into his trousers. Again, none of the witnesses remember anything up until the moment his body hit the ground while he screamed in agony.”

“You have to stop playing the game.” pleaded Marc, “It kills people in real life!”

“That’s just a coincidence. You‘re paranoid mate.”

Marc switched the game system off and searched for an eject button.

“OI! What ya think you’re doin?” hollered Luke, angrily, as he pulled Marc away from the machine. “Oh, I get it. You’re just jealous.”

“Jealous? What the hell-?”

“Stop p***ing about or leave!”

Marc, knew he wasn’t going to change his mind. He watched as Luke turned the game back on and waited through the menus.

“I’ll have to start all over again now.” Luke pouted.

“Hang on.” Marc said. He left the room and ran upstairs. “Just usin the toilet.” He didn’t go into the bathroom, though. Instead, he went into an upstairs bedroom and turned on the television. “...Donovan Mclean and Alfonso Mendez have both just made a miraculous recovery on their way to he hospital. It was first reported that they each had no pulse, but-” He turned the television off and went back downstairs in hope of stopping Luke from continuing with his game. However, it had already been too late.

It was 7:00 pm and already pitch black outside. Jack Turner had just finished filling Donovan Mclean with lead. “Good job Turner. Now head back to the S.U.V. before someone sees you. The last thing we need is a suspicious civilian.”

Tucker went into crouching position and slipped into the shadows.

“Seriously man, I think you should stop playing now.”

“SHUT UP MARC!”

A few minutes had passed by. Marc watched anxiously while Luke carried on playing. A few more minutes, and Luke had disposed of his next victim in the game, Alfonso Mendez. Marc sighed and took a seat on the couch. He could only hope for something to make Luke start the level again. It didn’t happen. What came from the television set was a shock to both of them. Marc was terrified, shaking all over:

“Tucker, the name of your next target is Marc Johnstone”
Sat 19/01/08 at 08:37
Regular
"not dead"
I enjoyed this, thought it worked well, and the last line is great.
Sat 19/01/08 at 08:12
Regular
"WhaleOilBeefHooked"
Very nice use of the topic, hadn't thought of it myself. The parts where you're describing in-game action sounds exactly as they should. Shame I couldn't have given you some more time for a final polish but it was quite a lively, enjoyable read still though.
Fri 18/01/08 at 19:13
Regular
"What's basketball?"
“Hey Marc, come check out this cool looking games system I found. It was just sitting on top of a waste bin outside. It’s amazing!” said 16 year old Luke Elliot over the home telephone. “What were you doing looking in a waste bin?” replied Marc Johnstone, his best friend. Luke ignored his remark and continued, “So anyway, I took it to Gamestation and asked them what system it was, but they told me they have never seen it before in their lives. I even tried Game, and they said the same thing. So I was like, ‘whoa, this must be one of a kind or somethin’ and I tried hooking it up to the downstairs telly. After a bit of fiddling around and stuff I finally got it to work. Man, it is SO awesome! You’ve gotta come see this; there was even a game already in it when I found it and everythin.” Marc let out a short yawn, before saying “Fine, I’ll go check it out”.

When Marc arrived at Luke’s house, he rang the doorbell and Luke answered it. “Alright mate?” greeted Luke. Marc just walked right in and asked “So, where is this ‘awesome’ new system of yours?" Luke led Marc into the living room, where his game system was set up. Luke immediately switched it on and grabbed a controller. Marc watched patiently. The title screen came up. ”Secret Spy” Luke pressed the start button and, before long, the game was ready to be played.

A quite tall, skinny man wearing only black stood in the middle of a large town. Many vehicles and large buildings surrounded him. People walked by him suspiciously on the pavement. “Special Agent Jack Tucker,” Called a voice in his ear piece, “this is Colonel Richard Parr, your commanding officer. Do you understand your objective?” Tucker arranged his mouth piece and said “I find and take care of Mikhail Slonovski with any means necessary and avoid any contact with civilians. I then slip away unnoticed and return home to my family, who think I am your average Joe office worker.”

“And avoid civilian casualties at all costs.”

“Yeah, yeah.” Tucker replied, half-heartedly.

Tucker crouched down low and hide behind a parked car on the street. He spotted an unusual looking man coming around a street corner moments later. “I see Slonovski now” Tucker waited for Mikhail to walk by him until he followed slowly behind. Eventually the two of them reached an isolated area. Mikhail suddenly stopped for some reason. Tucker continued on, trying not to make a sound. Finally, Tucker reached out and snapped Mikhail Slonovski’s neck. The corpse hit the ground almost instantly.

“Now I’ve got to get him back home before the timer runs out.” Luke pointed up at a timer at the top of the television screen. Marc looked down at his watch, “That reminds me, I’ve gotta go man. Mum's cooking dinner so it’ll probably be done when I get home. See ya mate”

“Alright, in a bit.”

Marc exited Luke’s house and decided to take a shortcut back to his own home. The town they lived in wasn’t very big, so he arrived back at his house in minutes. He let himself in and called out “Hey everyone.” His presumption was correct, as his mother had just almost finished cooking his favourite meal, her special home-made chilli con carne. “Hello dear,” she greeted, “dinner will be ready shortly.”

“Alright, I’ll be back down in a minute” said Marc as he made his way upstairs. He went into the bathroom to freshen up a little. He could hear his little brother moaning again. He was always going on about something. Marc admired himself in the mirror a bit, popping spots and checking his hair. Anyone would think he was getting ready for a hot date or something.

He rushed down the stairs and into the kitchen so that he could grab the biggest portion of chilli con carne before anybody else. He took a can of coke from the fridge and a fork from a drawer.

Marc sat with his family in front of the television in the living room. The news was on. “…and today, 28 year old immigrant Mikhail Slonovski has reported dead. Doctors say his death was caused by a broken spine. Extraordinarily, there has been no evidence found that anybody was even anywhere near him at the time. CCTV footage shows Slonovski was alone when he died…”

Marc knew he had heard that name before, but his memory was so bad that he couldn’t quite place his finger on it. He thought about it for a few seconds until he finally remembered.

“Holy &$%£!”

Marc’s mother slapped him around the head. “What have I told you about using language like that?” she said. Marc rubbed his head and replied “Sorry mum. But you don‘t understand. My mate Luke-

“I don’t care about Luke. I don’t ever want to hear that word again!”

Marc didn’t say anything else after that. He finished his dinner quickly and went to put his dish in the kitchen sink before going out the front. His mother said something before he left, but he didn’t hear her. Marc headed back up to Luke’s house.

Marc banged on the front door of Luke’s house and screamed “OI! Let me in! It’s urgent!”

The door opened, and there stood Luke, puzzled, “What’s up, mate?”

“Luke! This is gonna sound weird, but have you killed anyone else on that game?”

Luke was even more puzzled now, “Why?”

“Just tell me!”

“Alright, calm down… Let’s see… There was that Donovan guy. Some dude named Alfonso…”

Marc pushed Luke out of the way and rushed into the house.

“What ya doin?” shouted Luke into the living room, which Marc was now in. Luke went to join him. Marc had just flipped over to the live news channel. “...Donovan Mclean, who was found dead on his front lawn, had a bullet hole the back of his head. The local authorities, however, claim that there was no bullet anywhere in the vicinity. There were a few witnesses at present but, bizarrely, none of them seem to have any recollection of the activity. Even more unusual was the death of ex-officer Alfonso Mendez, with multiple stab wounds in his chest, stomach and back, while his clothes appear to have remained completely untouched. Alfonso’s T-shirt and suit were both tucked into his trousers. Again, none of the witnesses remember anything up until the moment his body hit the ground while he screamed in agony.”

“You have to stop playing the game.” pleaded Marc, “It kills people in real life!”

“That’s just a coincidence. You‘re paranoid mate.”

Marc switched the game system off and searched for an eject button.

“OI! What ya think you’re doin?” hollered Luke, angrily, as he pulled Marc away from the machine. “Oh, I get it. You’re just jealous.”

“Jealous? What the hell-?”

“Stop p***ing about or leave!”

Marc, knew he wasn’t going to change his mind. He watched as Luke turned the game back on and waited through the menus.

“I’ll have to start all over again now.” Luke pouted.

“Hang on.” Marc said. He left the room and ran upstairs. “Just usin the toilet.” He didn’t go into the bathroom, though. Instead, he went into an upstairs bedroom and turned on the television. “...Donovan Mclean and Alfonso Mendez have both just made a miraculous recovery on their way to he hospital. It was first reported that they each had no pulse, but-” He turned the television off and went back downstairs in hope of stopping Luke from continuing with his game. However, it had already been too late.

It was 7:00 pm and already pitch black outside. Jack Turner had just finished filling Donovan Mclean with lead. “Good job Turner. Now head back to the S.U.V. before someone sees you. The last thing we need is a suspicious civilian.”

Tucker went into crouching position and slipped into the shadows.

“Seriously man, I think you should stop playing now.”

“SHUT UP MARC!”

A few minutes had passed by. Marc watched anxiously while Luke carried on playing. A few more minutes, and Luke had disposed of his next victim in the game, Alfonso Mendez. Marc sighed and took a seat on the couch. He could only hope for something to make Luke start the level again. It didn’t happen. What came from the television set was a shock to both of them. Marc was terrified, shaking all over:

“Tucker, the name of your next target is Marc Johnstone”

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.