GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GC Price Round-Up"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 25/04/02 at 08:44
Regular
I don't want to try and promote other websites, but I think it'd be quite good to see how the others stores are doing with the GameCube. Looks like Nintendo have jumped the gun a bit with their reduced price anouncement for GC in the UK.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/25002.html

Basically it seems that the margins are too low for some retailers to be able to sell it that low and they are having to slap another £10 on it. That's still better that the £150 RRP before but still some 15% more than the rest of Europe! Just letting you know. Personally, I'm not getting one for a while anyway. And this is why we find the places that ARE selling at £129, and publicise them. If you see a place selling for more than that, then don't buy from them, find someone selling at the "real" price.

A word of warning though: A clause in the sale of goods act means that although places are advertising the GC for £129 they can up the price when they realise they have smaller margins and do not have to sell it to you at the lower price. It's all to do with Invitation to Treat, Offer and acceptance (the 3 parts of a sale). But if you want a GC and can find a place that will sell it to you for £129 once it's out then get it!

So lose £40 for the game and I make that £129 retail for the GC. Another thing, if you pre-order something at gameplay for a given price, they always honour (they may actually be legally bound to but the whole issue of e-mails as contracts is still up in the air) it. For instance, if you were to order it when they first appeared for the price of £156, when they put the price up a few weeks later, it would stay at the price you paid for it, not the new price. Mine will now be going down in price to match the new retail price. Gameplay are great.

And let's not forget good 'ol Special Reserve, giving us the console at £134.99, a great deal, damn good. I thought that the price was set to stay at £129.99, but I'm a bit unsure here as to whether it was meant to be £134.99 or whatever. Let's take a look at the standings thus far:

Street price/unknown stores = £139.99
Special Reserve = £134.99

Gameplay may have the cheapest standalone console, but Special Reserve offer loads of bundle packs, allowing the gamer to get the best possible deal. I'm not just saying this because I'm posting on the site's forums, but I suggest buying a bundle pack from Special Resreve, as in the long run, it will work out as a better deal.

LF.
Fri 26/04/02 at 14:41
Regular
"not dead"
As soon as SR let me claim GC games as GAD's, ever other companies price became irrelevant.

I'm loyal like that, y'see.
Fri 26/04/02 at 14:37
Regular
"cant think of one.."
I've said it before and i'll say it again. With such low prices its becoming easier to buy more than one console.

I could buy an Xbox or PS2 AND a GameCube for the amount i spent on my PSX all those years ago. (£300-£350!)
Fri 26/04/02 at 14:33
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
SmokedKipper wrote:
> There was an advert in The Sun for Toys R Us saying you could get a
> GameCube and ANY game (plus a scabby, don't-use-it-or-it'll-fall-apart
> carry case for pre-ordering) for £149.99. The web site says that
> you can have any game with it for that price as long as it's Luigi's
> Mansion.
>
> I've kept the advert so they can't argue when I ask for Rogue Leader
> instead of Luigi. If they refuse I'll have words with as many people
> as I need to before they give me what they're advertising.
>
> I think they'll probably have changed their minds about the offer
> after it was too late to stop the advert going out, but it's out there
> and I've got it. Actually I'd kind of like it if they refuse so I can
> have a bit of fun arguing with the staff.
>
> ;)

I love standing up for my customer rights, there is nothing like causing a fuss and attracting a crowd to get what you want at the price you deserve.
Fri 26/04/02 at 08:20
Tony wrote:
> Oh yes, we went to £134.99 initially, in a speedy and
> responsible fashion, hoping that everybody would settle around the
> £139.99 point. But now we are in the scrum at £128.99, so
> I had better sell off my car before the summer sets in.
>

Thanks for that. So I was right ;D

Gloating over.
Thu 25/04/02 at 22:23
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
There was an advert in The Sun for Toys R Us saying you could get a GameCube and ANY game (plus a scabby, don't-use-it-or-it'll-fall-apart carry case for pre-ordering) for £149.99. The web site says that you can have any game with it for that price as long as it's Luigi's Mansion.

I've kept the advert so they can't argue when I ask for Rogue Leader instead of Luigi. If they refuse I'll have words with as many people as I need to before they give me what they're advertising.

I think they'll probably have changed their minds about the offer after it was too late to stop the advert going out, but it's out there and I've got it. Actually I'd kind of like it if they refuse so I can have a bit of fun arguing with the staff.

;)
Thu 25/04/02 at 20:02
Regular
"aka 'SLIM'"
Well I have been told in my local Woolworths (Where I reserved my GC) that for £200 I get the GC, two games and a memory card. Now £200 take £80 for the two games and £15 for the memory cards make's the GC £105, that's even better!

The BIGMAN :-)
Thu 25/04/02 at 19:29
Regular
"everyone says it"
Tony wrote:
> Oh yes, we went to £134.99 initially, in a speedy and
> responsible fashion, hoping that everybody would settle around the
> £139.99 point. But now we are in the scrum at £128.99, so
> I had better sell off my car before the summer sets in.
>
> Please Mr Nintendo - give us some more stock.

Answered my question without even reading it.

*feels the force*
Thu 25/04/02 at 19:27
Regular
"everyone says it"
Tony wrote:
> Well actually, we were rather hoping that the market would not cut its
> own throat by punching out the GameCube as low as £129.99,
> especially as my good buddy the Chancellor of the Exchequer has just
> bumped our costs up significantly by raising the tax we have to pay
> for employing people (that's the 11% off the top which people are not
> supposed to know about, and which you can't show as a deduction in
> their pay packet).
>
> However, it's good for you guys providing you can get hold of one.
> (GameCube that is)

Yeah, do you have many left to sell Tony? or is it as hot as a cake that is really hot and come from a really really hot oven?
Thu 25/04/02 at 19:26
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
Oh yes, we went to £134.99 initially, in a speedy and responsible fashion, hoping that everybody would settle around the £139.99 point. But now we are in the scrum at £128.99, so I had better sell off my car before the summer sets in.

Please Mr Nintendo - give us some more stock.
Thu 25/04/02 at 19:23
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
Well actually, we were rather hoping that the market would not cut its own throat by punching out the GameCube as low as £129.99, especially as my good buddy the Chancellor of the Exchequer has just bumped our costs up significantly by raising the tax we have to pay for employing people (that's the 11% off the top which people are not supposed to know about, and which you can't show as a deduction in their pay packet).

However, it's good for you guys providing you can get hold of one. (GameCube that is)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.