GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Xbox down £100 - what a joke"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 24/04/02 at 18:05
Regular
There are only a few reasons why consoles go down in price

ether : they have ben around for a year or two, and lower price, to get even more sales

Or:

they are failing miserably and are desperate for sales, and drop the price

xbox has lowered price to £199 in just over a month

ppl wil be suspicious that it has dropped so quickly, and will realise that its cause no one is buying them

btw : its good that GAMECUBE has gone down to £135 - maybe worth buying as a budget console?

but 4 now : PS2 is da best
Thu 25/04/02 at 18:21
Regular
"[SE] Shadow Elite"
The_Flying_Hawkstar wrote:
> They had to reduce the prices of the XBOX and Gamecube othewise they
> would have just flopped and we would be seeing them in the shops next
> year for £70 just like Dreamcast and Sony have got Microsoft
> and Nintendo right where they want them and if can release PS3
> whenever they want to.

I don't think we will be seeing the PS3 for a long time to come, well that is until new and better consoles come out. I also don't think that Sony have Microsoft and Nintendo where they want, they want them to be in the bin! I have to say though, i think it is more likely to see the GC in the bin long before the PS2 and the X-Box.
Thu 25/04/02 at 08:00
Regular
They had to reduce the prices of the XBOX and Gamecube othewise they would have just flopped and we would be seeing them in the shops next year for £70 just like Dreamcast and Sony have got Microsoft and Nintendo right where they want them and if can release PS3 whenever they want to.
Wed 24/04/02 at 21:26
Regular
"What tagline? Eh?"
If XBox was selling as well as they hoped, they wouldn't cut the price so soon. When they launched at £299, they really thought that was the right price, and were still losing over £100 on each console sold. Now look at what they are losing!!

It is simply a panic move by M$ to save the brand. The know they can't knock SONY off the top-spot this time around, but to have a better chance next time they need a brand to build on. So, to save the brand they slash the prices in the hope that it will (and it will) sell more consoles.

It is a joke though, and Nintendo are also following suit with their price cut, even before launch!! SONY are the only winners here because they are now making healthy profit on each console sold, and can afford to cut the price of the console without making a loss, *in their own time*. SONY are dictating the market here, and this is playing into their hands - just look at PS2 sales for proof.
Wed 24/04/02 at 18:58
jd99 wrote:
> if I was going to buy a console now and didn't have a PS2 I would buy a X-Box.

- Once XBox brings out a PES I reckon I'd do the same!

> they are in for the long term and this price cut will ensure they have the ability to create a large fan base and judging by early games like halo, the X-Box will do well at its new cut price. This will allow MS to be taken more seriously if and when they introduce a new console in say, 7 years time.

- analysts reckon the XBox won't be competing on a level playing fireld with the likes of Sony until around 2005. Mr Gates is the knd of man who can afford to wait!!
To be honest, I hope the XBox does become more successful as the competiton can only be good for us consumers i.e. XBox down a ton within months of release!!! :-)
Wed 24/04/02 at 18:19
Regular
"Bobba you"
Yeah i think that the ps2 is the best but however if i ever had a £100 pound spare i would probally buy for Halo that looks Ace!
Wed 24/04/02 at 18:15
Regular
"Bring back Mullets"
I have had a PS2 since just after launch and have 14 games for it and consider myself a ps2 fan. However, if I was going to be a console now and didn't have a PS2 I would buy a X-Box. Microsoft know this, realised that people wouldn't pay £299 for the console so put it down to the price of the PS2 in order to acheive more sales. Seems pretty smart to me. Anywho, it is unlikely MS will ever make a profit in X-Box consoles, they are in for the long term and this price cut will ensure they have the ability to create a large fan base and judging by early games like halo, the X-Box will do well at its new cut price. This will allow MS to be taken more seriously if and when they introduce a new console in say, 7 years time.
Wed 24/04/02 at 18:05
There are only a few reasons why consoles go down in price

ether : they have ben around for a year or two, and lower price, to get even more sales

Or:

they are failing miserably and are desperate for sales, and drop the price

xbox has lowered price to £199 in just over a month

ppl wil be suspicious that it has dropped so quickly, and will realise that its cause no one is buying them

btw : its good that GAMECUBE has gone down to £135 - maybe worth buying as a budget console?

but 4 now : PS2 is da best

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.