GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Cute and cuddly or scary and menacing?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 22/04/02 at 21:05
Regular
On all consoles there have been many games including Mario, Sonic and many more characters all to do with the colourful, wonderful side of imagination. But then again there is the darker side of you. The is games like Metal Gear Solid and Resident Evil both good examples of games to do with the dark mysterious terrifying side of imagination. We all have played one or two of each of these catergories and probably enjoyed them. But which is better? Do you love the cute and loveable characters like Mario and Yoshi or do you prefer a great horror game with blood guts and loads of weapons?

Below there will be the features that both sets of games have and what makes them good. This took a while so enjoy.

Firstly the cute games like Sonic and Mario are bright and colourful with cartoony graphics which some people may say are a bit kiddish but I think this is the best way to do these types of games. Famous characters are always included you will take control of them and what they do. Some games even include other characters like Tails and Yoshi. Overall the graphics may not look as highly detailed as a real life looking game but this doesn't matter at all.
In the darker more sinister games like Resident Evil or Perfect Dark the graphics are a lot more detailed so you can believe the guns and tables are real and that you are actually there killing zombies. Scary eh? The characters are usually humans and are excellently detailled as well as other items. Anyway the darkness of the rooms and surroundings really is amazing and you'll be surprised how it makes it more frightening. So the graphics are great and add depth as well as the spookyness you would expect in a game.

Like every game there is always sound. (duh!) In cute games the sound is from the characters and they usually have funny voices. Mario has his itallian accent and Sonic has his cool wicked voice. The voices need to be funny or else you won't remember them. Also in games there is music and since this is a funny game there must be happy music. In Sonic games you have the fast paced rock music and this is all quite cheerful to listen to.
In scary games you have no music or very little to add to the tension. This also makes all footsteps and moving of doors more noticeable and nerve racking.

Next is the story line which is probably the most important part of a game. You have a bad guy kidnapping someone then it is your job to save them in games like Mario and then you have a more planned story line in realistic horror games. But this doesn't matter if Mario has less of a story line, it builds itself in its own way. You can tell the story line is important by looking at it like this, if like Resident Evil you start in a mansion straight away, you would wonder "what the heck is going on". If you are onic and you start off on Death Egg Zone you would think the same thing. Both have the storyline and both are great.

The contols are very similar and because they are the same type of games. From racing to platformer you will get it sooner or later. The only difference is that horror and shooting games are more realistic. No jumping about five metres off the groung or flying through the air using a cap with two wings on top. Both are great in their own ways and are well suited to each set of games.

Now when it comes to long lasting and coming back to play it the cute games usually are less longer than Perfect Dark and others. This is because most cute games are platformers like Mario, Crash Bandicoot and many more. And with adventure games once you've completed it it is over. Done. Deadly shooting games on the other hand are longer lasting and watching a monster or human get shot right in the forehead has never looked better.

But overall I must say I like both a lot and play them often but I like a bit of magic and games that get rid of all the rules of gravity etc... Games like Mario are always at the top of my list. So it is up to you. Guns or mushrooms, blood and guts or puzzles and pretty. Both are great fun in their own way and are the two main types of genres.

Thanks for reading
Tue 23/04/02 at 20:36
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
What are you on about? Talk about the topic not useless rubbish.
Tue 23/04/02 at 20:32
Regular
"And the 7 Duffs"
Have you guys got something going on between you that i should know about?
(OH MY GOD, HOW COULD YOU? YOUR OWN BROTHER? WHAT ABOUT US, GHOST KILLER, WHAT ABOUT US?) etc.
Tue 23/04/02 at 20:25
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
It is wierd my brother always replies to my posts but never talks to me at home. Perhaps he wants something.
Tue 23/04/02 at 19:03
Regular
"And the 7 Duffs"
In my opinion it doesn't really matter much about whether the game stars
a cuddly duck named Dewi or Benton the Skull-Faced Gerbil Priest, in the end it's the gameplay that makes or breaks a game. Take Zelda 64 for example. You can play it for hours and it seems as though you are a part of it, (bloody amazing game, by the way) whereas you could be playing, say, for example, Resident Evil but just not get the same edge to the game.
Neither one is superior, really.
Tue 23/04/02 at 18:51
Regular
teehe your brother always replies to your posts.
Tue 23/04/02 at 18:27
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
I'm not too fond of resident evil but it does look good graphic wise.
Mon 22/04/02 at 21:16
Regular
"I Control All Pikmi"
I prefer horror games to be honest. Resident Evil is cool and the gamecube version will be the first game I buy. Good post by the way.
Mon 22/04/02 at 21:05
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
On all consoles there have been many games including Mario, Sonic and many more characters all to do with the colourful, wonderful side of imagination. But then again there is the darker side of you. The is games like Metal Gear Solid and Resident Evil both good examples of games to do with the dark mysterious terrifying side of imagination. We all have played one or two of each of these catergories and probably enjoyed them. But which is better? Do you love the cute and loveable characters like Mario and Yoshi or do you prefer a great horror game with blood guts and loads of weapons?

Below there will be the features that both sets of games have and what makes them good. This took a while so enjoy.

Firstly the cute games like Sonic and Mario are bright and colourful with cartoony graphics which some people may say are a bit kiddish but I think this is the best way to do these types of games. Famous characters are always included you will take control of them and what they do. Some games even include other characters like Tails and Yoshi. Overall the graphics may not look as highly detailed as a real life looking game but this doesn't matter at all.
In the darker more sinister games like Resident Evil or Perfect Dark the graphics are a lot more detailed so you can believe the guns and tables are real and that you are actually there killing zombies. Scary eh? The characters are usually humans and are excellently detailled as well as other items. Anyway the darkness of the rooms and surroundings really is amazing and you'll be surprised how it makes it more frightening. So the graphics are great and add depth as well as the spookyness you would expect in a game.

Like every game there is always sound. (duh!) In cute games the sound is from the characters and they usually have funny voices. Mario has his itallian accent and Sonic has his cool wicked voice. The voices need to be funny or else you won't remember them. Also in games there is music and since this is a funny game there must be happy music. In Sonic games you have the fast paced rock music and this is all quite cheerful to listen to.
In scary games you have no music or very little to add to the tension. This also makes all footsteps and moving of doors more noticeable and nerve racking.

Next is the story line which is probably the most important part of a game. You have a bad guy kidnapping someone then it is your job to save them in games like Mario and then you have a more planned story line in realistic horror games. But this doesn't matter if Mario has less of a story line, it builds itself in its own way. You can tell the story line is important by looking at it like this, if like Resident Evil you start in a mansion straight away, you would wonder "what the heck is going on". If you are onic and you start off on Death Egg Zone you would think the same thing. Both have the storyline and both are great.

The contols are very similar and because they are the same type of games. From racing to platformer you will get it sooner or later. The only difference is that horror and shooting games are more realistic. No jumping about five metres off the groung or flying through the air using a cap with two wings on top. Both are great in their own ways and are well suited to each set of games.

Now when it comes to long lasting and coming back to play it the cute games usually are less longer than Perfect Dark and others. This is because most cute games are platformers like Mario, Crash Bandicoot and many more. And with adventure games once you've completed it it is over. Done. Deadly shooting games on the other hand are longer lasting and watching a monster or human get shot right in the forehead has never looked better.

But overall I must say I like both a lot and play them often but I like a bit of magic and games that get rid of all the rules of gravity etc... Games like Mario are always at the top of my list. So it is up to you. Guns or mushrooms, blood and guts or puzzles and pretty. Both are great fun in their own way and are the two main types of genres.

Thanks for reading

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.