GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What made you buy you console?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 22/04/02 at 18:26
Regular
Over the years there have been so many great consoles, from Dreamcast and Playstation 2 to X Box and Gamecube. Companies like Nintendo, Sony, Sega and Microsoft will never be forgotten. They have all created at least one marvellous console to be transported from them, to the stores around the world, then to your very own comfortable home. But just one thing. How did you find out about the console, and what made you buy it? Was it your friends or family who told you? Or was it even the advert you see on television very rarely on Channel 4. (And other channels of course. rarely.)

I think companies for gaming consoles need to advertise more and do something different that makes you want to buy what they are selling. So firstly I think that there needs to be a short, snappy, cool looking advert that will make you say to yourself "Wow that looks so cool, I wonder where I could get one of those?" But all the companies have accomplished this easy. Gamecube has the great cubes hovering around everywhere and X Box has the advert which I think goes on about music in history or something... but anyway the only problem is that the adverts are not on very often. You will be lucky just to see one in a few days and this is too little I think. But the idea is to put them on regularly so people are more likely to see them. You also need to put them on the more popular channels. Advertising forthcoming games could show people what they are getting for their money as well. Don't forget that.

A good idea that was used in America was to put the adverts on at the beginning of a film in a cinema. This is like putting it on television and would work just as well.

Similar to the two above is the advertising in magazines, this is a very rare find and will only be seen in Nintendo magazines and never television guildes etc.. If you were to put an ad in a television guide this is a great idea as nearly everyone watches television and some want to see what is on when so companies would benifeit a lot out of this. Nintendo magazines may be popular but adding the in more would increase sales more.

Also you can even use the radio as people listen to the radio in the car every day. They might be going to work or a theme park and I think that this would be as good as using the television.

This is all fine but what if you don't watch that much television? Well you could always ask shops to put signs up in every window of all their stores. Microsoft have seemed to have done this and so have Sony, but Nintendo haven't done as well. As I went to Toys 'r' Us there was a X Box sign and a PS2 sign but no gamecube sign. With only about 11 days to go shouldn't there be at least one sign showing the console in all it's glory?

Maybe even sponsoring a football club or even a movie on ITV. This may help as Sega have done this with Arsenal. Signs on the sideline that you see in all matches may be useful too as you usually read them out of interest. Sponsoring a great film like Die Hard will be great as they will be seen by people all over the country every time a set of adverts are on.

Offering free booklets or leaflets on the console you are advertising, because when you see the word FREE you get people's attention just like that. Doing this in public shopping centres and places where people hang out like a bowling alley and maybe even go from door to door with information. Perhaps there could be centres that travel around the country with information a chance to try out the console.

Perhaps one of the most important things is to keep the prices reasonable and so should the games be. Not a massive £300 just for the console like X Box. Like the gamecube keep it around the £150 mark to catch the eyes of younger people as well as older. Games too should only be about £30 to £40 or else paople will begin to wonder whether it's worth paying about a quarter of the consles price for a game.

Creating other merchandise like keyrings, posters and mugs with all the favourite characters on or even the console itself. This may not sound to good for an idea but in my opinion I think that it cold be done. It happens with football and other sports.

So after that (there may be more ideas too) I think that advertising is very important for a company and needs to be gotten right or else you wouldn't be pre-ordering a Gamecube or playing a Playstation 2 or X-Box. So enough with all this console wars nonsense, the companies just need to focus on their console and it should be a raging success. All I'm trying to say is that in my opinion I think advertising is important and perhaps needs to be thought about a little more harder. I may be wrong but that is my opinion. Now think about it. What made you buy your console? It may not have been the television in fact, but your friends that told you. However your friends are likely to have heard this because of the company and advertising. You can shore as anything tell you need this to make a console what it is.

Thanks for reading
Tue 23/04/02 at 20:42
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
No wait that wasn't it. Sorry.
Tue 23/04/02 at 18:30
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
Thanks a lot. By the way has anyone seen the Gamecube advert. It is great.
Mon 22/04/02 at 21:12
Regular
"I Control All Pikmi"
Some good ideas in there and I agree with the fact that there should be more advertising. I think this has a good chance for a gameaday win bro.
Mon 22/04/02 at 18:26
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
Over the years there have been so many great consoles, from Dreamcast and Playstation 2 to X Box and Gamecube. Companies like Nintendo, Sony, Sega and Microsoft will never be forgotten. They have all created at least one marvellous console to be transported from them, to the stores around the world, then to your very own comfortable home. But just one thing. How did you find out about the console, and what made you buy it? Was it your friends or family who told you? Or was it even the advert you see on television very rarely on Channel 4. (And other channels of course. rarely.)

I think companies for gaming consoles need to advertise more and do something different that makes you want to buy what they are selling. So firstly I think that there needs to be a short, snappy, cool looking advert that will make you say to yourself "Wow that looks so cool, I wonder where I could get one of those?" But all the companies have accomplished this easy. Gamecube has the great cubes hovering around everywhere and X Box has the advert which I think goes on about music in history or something... but anyway the only problem is that the adverts are not on very often. You will be lucky just to see one in a few days and this is too little I think. But the idea is to put them on regularly so people are more likely to see them. You also need to put them on the more popular channels. Advertising forthcoming games could show people what they are getting for their money as well. Don't forget that.

A good idea that was used in America was to put the adverts on at the beginning of a film in a cinema. This is like putting it on television and would work just as well.

Similar to the two above is the advertising in magazines, this is a very rare find and will only be seen in Nintendo magazines and never television guildes etc.. If you were to put an ad in a television guide this is a great idea as nearly everyone watches television and some want to see what is on when so companies would benifeit a lot out of this. Nintendo magazines may be popular but adding the in more would increase sales more.

Also you can even use the radio as people listen to the radio in the car every day. They might be going to work or a theme park and I think that this would be as good as using the television.

This is all fine but what if you don't watch that much television? Well you could always ask shops to put signs up in every window of all their stores. Microsoft have seemed to have done this and so have Sony, but Nintendo haven't done as well. As I went to Toys 'r' Us there was a X Box sign and a PS2 sign but no gamecube sign. With only about 11 days to go shouldn't there be at least one sign showing the console in all it's glory?

Maybe even sponsoring a football club or even a movie on ITV. This may help as Sega have done this with Arsenal. Signs on the sideline that you see in all matches may be useful too as you usually read them out of interest. Sponsoring a great film like Die Hard will be great as they will be seen by people all over the country every time a set of adverts are on.

Offering free booklets or leaflets on the console you are advertising, because when you see the word FREE you get people's attention just like that. Doing this in public shopping centres and places where people hang out like a bowling alley and maybe even go from door to door with information. Perhaps there could be centres that travel around the country with information a chance to try out the console.

Perhaps one of the most important things is to keep the prices reasonable and so should the games be. Not a massive £300 just for the console like X Box. Like the gamecube keep it around the £150 mark to catch the eyes of younger people as well as older. Games too should only be about £30 to £40 or else paople will begin to wonder whether it's worth paying about a quarter of the consles price for a game.

Creating other merchandise like keyrings, posters and mugs with all the favourite characters on or even the console itself. This may not sound to good for an idea but in my opinion I think that it cold be done. It happens with football and other sports.

So after that (there may be more ideas too) I think that advertising is very important for a company and needs to be gotten right or else you wouldn't be pre-ordering a Gamecube or playing a Playstation 2 or X-Box. So enough with all this console wars nonsense, the companies just need to focus on their console and it should be a raging success. All I'm trying to say is that in my opinion I think advertising is important and perhaps needs to be thought about a little more harder. I may be wrong but that is my opinion. Now think about it. What made you buy your console? It may not have been the television in fact, but your friends that told you. However your friends are likely to have heard this because of the company and advertising. You can shore as anything tell you need this to make a console what it is.

Thanks for reading

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.