GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"BBC Salaries"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 19/07/17 at 14:12
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
So who else has had a look at the BBC stars salaries which were revealed today?

Chris Evans on over £2million! Given his disaster on Top Gear I'm surprised they pay him £2.

Given that the BBC are supposed to be neutral but are blatantly left-wing the pay-gap between the men and women is disturbing. For example Huw Edwards and Fiona Bruce do the same job presenting the news, plus Fiona Bruce does the Antiques Roadshow, yet Edwards earns nearly twice as much as her.

Gary Lineker on £1.7million as well for working 1 day a week on MOTD for around 40 weeks a year plus the odd FA Cup match etc is absurd. I can see there being a lot of extremely upset BBC employees today. Even Gary Lineker went on Twitter this morning joking he'd better put his hard hat on.

Next time I'm paying nearly £150 for the privilege of watching the BBC for a year I'll be doing so through gritted teeth. The sooner they scrap the licence fee and let the BBC generate income through advertising the better.
Sat 22/07/17 at 10:40
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
This has kicked off again as it's been revealed that the published list of BBC staff paid more than £150,000 doesn't include payments made to people by independent production companies or payments made by BBC Worldwide.

For example Graham Norton is paid between £850K - £900K but this only covers his work on Radio 2, Eurovision, and Let It Shine, as his work on The Graham Norton show is made by his own production company which is paid by the BBC and which then in turn pays him.

Sir David Attenborough will also be a high earner from his nature programmes but as these are funded by BBC Worldwide he was excluded from the list.

It's been reported that a number of female presenters are getting together with a view to suing the BBC for discrimination, so we certainly haven't heard the last of this by a long shot.
Thu 20/07/17 at 08:55
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
Some good points there pb, I'm sure there will be a lot of analysis over the next few days to address the points you've raised.

Sky are doing a good job of giving women presenting jobs on more mainstream sports, and on ITV Jacqui Oatley does a lot of presenting. She was recently given an MBE for her services to sports for this.

Did you see Louise Minchin give Dan Walker that look on BBC Breakfast yesterday when they were reporting on BBC presenter's pay? I thought it would shatter my TV screen!
Wed 19/07/17 at 18:04
"possibly impossible"
People need to take a step back here, though. There may well be discrepancies, but we need the full picture to surmise whether pay is fairly distributed;

Does Huw Edwards (starting journalism work in 1984) do other roles in a year such as presenting shows on special occasions, BBC Radio shows, Olympic Games etc and what is his experience and credentials? How does that compare with Fiona Bruce (started in 1989) presenting the news, crimewatch and antiques roadshow? A truly fair salary would take all those into consideration and would not take gender into account.

As with other jobs, success in previous projects would elevate salary (in most cases, viewing figures or popularity of a show) and prior experience counts towards being paid more, as in other sectors.

But we don't know until someone adds all of those things together and it's even harder when not comparing like with like in other areas of the BBC. Presenters get paid before a show, so this 2016-2017 salary doesn't take into account 'disasters' in 2017 which may see their next year's salary decrease.

Also, how does it compare to commercial television and radio? If they dropped the TV Licence maybe these stars would be earning even more and they'd have less pressure to disclose information, too.

So perhaps the questions should really be not about why someone is being paid more than other person or why men are at the top of the pay list, but why aren't women in the BBC being given more work to do covering important events? Are there women with more experience or access to getting more experience and being able to easily rise through ranks? Is there a fair division of labour at the BBC based on hard evidence?

Otherwise it's just a media witch hunt lead by the same old gang.
Wed 19/07/17 at 14:12
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
So who else has had a look at the BBC stars salaries which were revealed today?

Chris Evans on over £2million! Given his disaster on Top Gear I'm surprised they pay him £2.

Given that the BBC are supposed to be neutral but are blatantly left-wing the pay-gap between the men and women is disturbing. For example Huw Edwards and Fiona Bruce do the same job presenting the news, plus Fiona Bruce does the Antiques Roadshow, yet Edwards earns nearly twice as much as her.

Gary Lineker on £1.7million as well for working 1 day a week on MOTD for around 40 weeks a year plus the odd FA Cup match etc is absurd. I can see there being a lot of extremely upset BBC employees today. Even Gary Lineker went on Twitter this morning joking he'd better put his hard hat on.

Next time I'm paying nearly £150 for the privilege of watching the BBC for a year I'll be doing so through gritted teeth. The sooner they scrap the licence fee and let the BBC generate income through advertising the better.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.