GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[Game] Dishonored 2 - PC/XBox One/PS4"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 26/03/17 at 23:20
Regular
"Braaains"
Corvo is back, and I have absolutely no idea why. Because while Dishonored 2 is a hell of a game, I'm confused as to why they brought back the previous game's protagonist. Playing as his daughter, Emily, fits the game perfectly. As the deposed ruler of the Isles, she gains a new perspective when she's forced to mix with her subjects, in a bid to reclaim her throne. But Corvo? His story's done. Playing as him is oddly unsatisfying.

That aside, Dishonored 2 takes the original and tweaks it. Not that there was anything wrong with the original game, but the new local keeps things fresh. If you've not played a Dishonored game, you're in for a treat. You roam around a semi-Egyptian city, sneaking, murdering or shooting your way to the truth.

The latter approach tends to get you killed on harder difficulty levels, but murder and sneakery are equally valid, only really altering which game you get. You have access to a wide variety of powers which are upgrade as you progress though, in truth, the game's better without them. Using powers felt like cheating to me and whereas the previous game was built around using them, the fact you can turn down the offer of powers means that the games designers had to make the levels navigable with no fancy tricks.

There are plenty of varied locations, including the much-vaunted Clockwork Mansion, though I wasn't as struck by it as other players were. The AI is also perfectly pitched, with the guards being smart enough to open doors but not intelligent enough to flatten you the moment you make a mistake.

The plot, while a little predictable if you've played the previous game's DLC, does move along at a decent pace. Murder is also disturbingly entertaining. You don't always have to kill a target - sometimes you're just breaking into a building - but there are multiple ways to fell your foes.

The game's one flaw, however, is how frequently you find yourself roaming the streets. Whereas in Thief and similar games you're typically transported to the buildings you have to infiltrate. It makes sense that you have to roam the streets when you escape from the starting location, but then the game forces you to go through the streets to each location. This starts to grind after a while.

That aside, Dishonored 2 is a superb stealth-em-up, the successor to the Thief series which ended with the disappointing remake. And now it's dropped in price, unless stealth is totally alien to you, there's no excuse not to check it out.

There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Sun 26/03/17 at 23:20
Regular
"Braaains"
Corvo is back, and I have absolutely no idea why. Because while Dishonored 2 is a hell of a game, I'm confused as to why they brought back the previous game's protagonist. Playing as his daughter, Emily, fits the game perfectly. As the deposed ruler of the Isles, she gains a new perspective when she's forced to mix with her subjects, in a bid to reclaim her throne. But Corvo? His story's done. Playing as him is oddly unsatisfying.

That aside, Dishonored 2 takes the original and tweaks it. Not that there was anything wrong with the original game, but the new local keeps things fresh. If you've not played a Dishonored game, you're in for a treat. You roam around a semi-Egyptian city, sneaking, murdering or shooting your way to the truth.

The latter approach tends to get you killed on harder difficulty levels, but murder and sneakery are equally valid, only really altering which game you get. You have access to a wide variety of powers which are upgrade as you progress though, in truth, the game's better without them. Using powers felt like cheating to me and whereas the previous game was built around using them, the fact you can turn down the offer of powers means that the games designers had to make the levels navigable with no fancy tricks.

There are plenty of varied locations, including the much-vaunted Clockwork Mansion, though I wasn't as struck by it as other players were. The AI is also perfectly pitched, with the guards being smart enough to open doors but not intelligent enough to flatten you the moment you make a mistake.

The plot, while a little predictable if you've played the previous game's DLC, does move along at a decent pace. Murder is also disturbingly entertaining. You don't always have to kill a target - sometimes you're just breaking into a building - but there are multiple ways to fell your foes.

The game's one flaw, however, is how frequently you find yourself roaming the streets. Whereas in Thief and similar games you're typically transported to the buildings you have to infiltrate. It makes sense that you have to roam the streets when you escape from the starting location, but then the game forces you to go through the streets to each location. This starts to grind after a while.

That aside, Dishonored 2 is a superb stealth-em-up, the successor to the Thief series which ended with the disappointing remake. And now it's dropped in price, unless stealth is totally alien to you, there's no excuse not to check it out.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.