GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[Game] Snipperclips: Cut it out, Together!"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 17/03/17 at 13:54
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
While the focus has well and truly been on The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild these last couple of weeks (and deservedly so, the game is fantastic) it’s been relatively easy to overlook some of the digital offerings on Nintendo’s eShop store for the Switch. And on paper they seem like ideal titles to give you a break from Zelda every now and again. While a majority will have already experienced FAST RMX and Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove in some previous form, it was Snipperclips: Cut it out, Together! that really peaked my interest. Initial impressions sounded strong and trailers pointed toward an inventive puzzler that relied on your creativity as much as your teamwork. However is Snipperclips the Switch launch’s true hidden gem?

One or two players control two individual characters (both in a sort of ice-lolly sort of shape) and move around a single-screen environment solving puzzles. Sounds pretty basic so far right? Snipperclips has one simple gameplay mechanic though where overlapping your teammate allows you to snip away at them in order to create new shapes. Cut them at the right angle and you can turn them into a triangle. If you’re really careful you can nick at them to craft a circle. It’s using this ability that you are then able to solve the game’s many puzzles.

These puzzles come in two different flavours – the first focusing on cutting yourselves into specific shapes in order to fit perfectly into a dotted-outline and the second completing a random task. Filling the requirements of certain outlines are the simpler of the challenges where using the curves and right angles of your characters well often results in success.

The creative tasks are the highlight here though offering a good mix of variety and wackiness – you’ll be trying to throw a bowling ball through a hoop, catch fish, help a flower grow and put a car together to name a few. Of course these can all be accomplished simply by snipping yourselves into the appropriate shapes. While I want to keep light on spoilers (after all a large chunk of the fun comes from figuring out your own solutions) we ended up solving the aforementioned bowling ball problem by cutting an almost scoop-like shape into my head so I could carry the heavy weight over to the hoop. This was just our solution though as we went on to discover early on that other resolutions could and do easily exist, repeating that same stage again but with a very different approach. And it’s this welcoming embrace that Snipperclips has on your ideas that really stand out. It never punishes you for trying something new no matter how ambitious. If anything it encourages it. And this shines true throughout the game’s main campaign…

…which is over all too quickly. Three worlds with fifteen stages in each is all you get and while some do take a while to figure out, we managed to reach the end in just a few hours. It’s a shame really as the ideas on offer here hint at greater things and just when you think the game will keep throwing more and more creative tasks at you, the game just… ends.

‘Party’ mode allows two more players to join the mix making for more complex and fun puzzles. If you thought organising two players was difficult just wait until you get four of you sat around shouting directions at each other. It’s a cool additional mode but again much like the main campaign is over far too quickly – quicker in fact.

And that’s what I couldn’t help but feel walking away from the game’s two main modes. Like Snipperclips was teasing me. The ideas on display here are fantastic but I just wanted more. I just hope we see a sequel with a grander scope and more content.

Snipperclips can be played alone if you are without a teammate and allows the player to switch roles between the two shapes. As you’d expect it’s functional but nowhere near as fun as working with another human. Likewise ‘party’ can be played with two or three players if you’re short.

‘Blitz’ is the final option and this multiplayer is split into three modes – Hoops, Hockey and Dojo. The first two are pretty much what you’d expect where scoring points is the aim of the game. Of course the snipping mechanic carries across from the main game where you and your teammate can cut each other into useful shapes that might help you score easier. They’re both simple in nature but a decent enough distraction especially when you get four people together. Dojo meanwhile is basically a manic race to cut opponents out completely whilst avoiding being eliminated yourself. Pretty basic stuff and the least impressive of the three.

Visually Snipperclips has all the lovely charm you’d want from a puzzler like this and it should come as no surprise that Nintendo had a hand in helping the team on this game. The three worlds all sport unique and fun environments (notepad, retro and science) while the shapes themselves are adorable – from their concerned faces as they’re snipped away to the funny way they walk and crouch down.

Snipperclips: Cut it out, Together! is a quirky, cute, fun little puzzler that makes use of its simple mechanic in amazing ways. It’s just a shame that it’s all over way too quickly. What could have easily been a no-brainer for any Switch owner feels a little tougher to recommend especially for its price of admission. I recommend everyone try this, just perhaps wait for it to see a discount first.

7/10
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Fri 17/03/17 at 13:54
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
While the focus has well and truly been on The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild these last couple of weeks (and deservedly so, the game is fantastic) it’s been relatively easy to overlook some of the digital offerings on Nintendo’s eShop store for the Switch. And on paper they seem like ideal titles to give you a break from Zelda every now and again. While a majority will have already experienced FAST RMX and Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove in some previous form, it was Snipperclips: Cut it out, Together! that really peaked my interest. Initial impressions sounded strong and trailers pointed toward an inventive puzzler that relied on your creativity as much as your teamwork. However is Snipperclips the Switch launch’s true hidden gem?

One or two players control two individual characters (both in a sort of ice-lolly sort of shape) and move around a single-screen environment solving puzzles. Sounds pretty basic so far right? Snipperclips has one simple gameplay mechanic though where overlapping your teammate allows you to snip away at them in order to create new shapes. Cut them at the right angle and you can turn them into a triangle. If you’re really careful you can nick at them to craft a circle. It’s using this ability that you are then able to solve the game’s many puzzles.

These puzzles come in two different flavours – the first focusing on cutting yourselves into specific shapes in order to fit perfectly into a dotted-outline and the second completing a random task. Filling the requirements of certain outlines are the simpler of the challenges where using the curves and right angles of your characters well often results in success.

The creative tasks are the highlight here though offering a good mix of variety and wackiness – you’ll be trying to throw a bowling ball through a hoop, catch fish, help a flower grow and put a car together to name a few. Of course these can all be accomplished simply by snipping yourselves into the appropriate shapes. While I want to keep light on spoilers (after all a large chunk of the fun comes from figuring out your own solutions) we ended up solving the aforementioned bowling ball problem by cutting an almost scoop-like shape into my head so I could carry the heavy weight over to the hoop. This was just our solution though as we went on to discover early on that other resolutions could and do easily exist, repeating that same stage again but with a very different approach. And it’s this welcoming embrace that Snipperclips has on your ideas that really stand out. It never punishes you for trying something new no matter how ambitious. If anything it encourages it. And this shines true throughout the game’s main campaign…

…which is over all too quickly. Three worlds with fifteen stages in each is all you get and while some do take a while to figure out, we managed to reach the end in just a few hours. It’s a shame really as the ideas on offer here hint at greater things and just when you think the game will keep throwing more and more creative tasks at you, the game just… ends.

‘Party’ mode allows two more players to join the mix making for more complex and fun puzzles. If you thought organising two players was difficult just wait until you get four of you sat around shouting directions at each other. It’s a cool additional mode but again much like the main campaign is over far too quickly – quicker in fact.

And that’s what I couldn’t help but feel walking away from the game’s two main modes. Like Snipperclips was teasing me. The ideas on display here are fantastic but I just wanted more. I just hope we see a sequel with a grander scope and more content.

Snipperclips can be played alone if you are without a teammate and allows the player to switch roles between the two shapes. As you’d expect it’s functional but nowhere near as fun as working with another human. Likewise ‘party’ can be played with two or three players if you’re short.

‘Blitz’ is the final option and this multiplayer is split into three modes – Hoops, Hockey and Dojo. The first two are pretty much what you’d expect where scoring points is the aim of the game. Of course the snipping mechanic carries across from the main game where you and your teammate can cut each other into useful shapes that might help you score easier. They’re both simple in nature but a decent enough distraction especially when you get four people together. Dojo meanwhile is basically a manic race to cut opponents out completely whilst avoiding being eliminated yourself. Pretty basic stuff and the least impressive of the three.

Visually Snipperclips has all the lovely charm you’d want from a puzzler like this and it should come as no surprise that Nintendo had a hand in helping the team on this game. The three worlds all sport unique and fun environments (notepad, retro and science) while the shapes themselves are adorable – from their concerned faces as they’re snipped away to the funny way they walk and crouch down.

Snipperclips: Cut it out, Together! is a quirky, cute, fun little puzzler that makes use of its simple mechanic in amazing ways. It’s just a shame that it’s all over way too quickly. What could have easily been a no-brainer for any Switch owner feels a little tougher to recommend especially for its price of admission. I recommend everyone try this, just perhaps wait for it to see a discount first.

7/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.