GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Window 10 Update - Unable to connect to the internet"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 13/12/16 at 17:25
"Are you sure?"
*Heads up*

Via Twitter I've seen that a recent Windows 10 Update was causing problems for some Windows 10 users - this was good timing for me!

The Update introduced a bug with DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) which meant some PCs couldn't connect to the internet.

I visited a client today (for other things) who was pleased to see me as two out of his three W10 PCs couldn't get online.

There was an exclamation mark over the network icon denoting that their local network may work but there was no internet access.

Thanks to the info I had read earlier I was able to quickly get them online by adding some manual IP/DNS settings.

Microsoft's official advice is to try Restarting (not Shutting Down) the PC. There is a fix (via Windows Update) doing the rounds if you can get online to get it!

Here's a Microsoft forum post Problems connecting to the internet. It's been viewed around 90,000 times as I write this so I guess it's hitting a lot of people!

[s]Hmmm...[/s]

Wed 14/12/16 at 22:31
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Thanks Hmmm for the support ...

I acted quickly to indentify the problem as Freeola at the time were only indicating MySql problems! I wasn't aware of a further W10 update until I checked version numbers ... and then saw the issue. My problem was sorted within half-hour that evening, but visiting our friends the next day, it took until mid-day to resolve the issue.

Chas, be a little more accommodating and less bombastic in the future ... we don't all live in a perfect world in a concrete bunker somewhere in the south.

Wed 14/12/16 at 17:54
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."

Hmmm... wrote:
It sounds like @DL contacted Freeola when he had problems...?

My PC* has just finished installing the latest Windows Updates which fix the last lot.

I liked the old Windows world where you could choose to be 'notified' of updates and then decide more easily when/if you wanted to install them!
I used to give it a few days to let others have the pain before deciding to update my own PCs. Then you could avoid situations like this.

*Not the one I'm posting this on - that's an old XP machine that just won't die! :¬)

[s]Hmmm...[/s]

Post edited by Hmmm... on 14/12/2016 at 17:21.

Possibly, but he'd be the only one (I certainly haven't taken any calls, and I've been here all week)...

Doesn't really change what I said, I'd have expected more if this were a major problem.
Wed 14/12/16 at 17:15
"Are you sure?"

chasfh wrote:
That'd be a first in my experience, you'd be surprised what people call us about...

Get your point, although it does seem a little odd that we've had literally no calls relating to this.

It sounds like @DL contacted Freeola when he had problems...?

My PC* has just finished installing the latest Windows Updates which fix the last lot.

I liked the old Windows world where you could choose to be 'notified' of updates and then decide more easily when/if you wanted to install them!
I used to give it a few days to let others have the pain before deciding to update my own PCs. Then you could avoid situations like this.

*Not the one I'm posting this on - that's an old XP machine that just won't die! :¬)

[s]Hmmm...[/s]

Post edited by Hmmm... on 14/12/2016 at 17:21.
Wed 14/12/16 at 17:08
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."

Hmmm... wrote:
Yep - as we've mentioned it doesn't get everyone.

If a household has a few internet devices and only a W10 PC stops connecting with this error (no IP) then it wouldn't be my first thought to contact the ISP. If the router, phones, tablets, other PCs etc. were all fine then most people would be right in thinking it's not their ISP but a local problem as in this case. So would either troubleshoot it themselves or get their IT man/girl in!

[s]Hmmm...[/s]

That'd be a first in my experience, you'd be surprised what people call us about...

Get your point, although it does seem a little odd that we've had literally no calls relating to this.
Wed 14/12/16 at 17:00
"Are you sure?"

chasfh wrote:
All of mine are latest build, all fully up to date, as are the ones at work. Entirely why I mentioned it. Plus, working here, you'd have thought we'd be getting at least a few calls relating to the problem, but so far, none...

Yep - as we've mentioned it doesn't get everyone.

If a household has a few internet devices and only a W10 PC stops connecting with this error (no IP) then it wouldn't be my first thought to contact the ISP. If the router, phones, tablets, other PCs etc. were all fine then most people would be right in thinking it's not their ISP but a local problem as in this case. So would either troubleshoot it themselves or get their IT man/girl in!

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Wed 14/12/16 at 16:54
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."

Hmmm... wrote:
It all depends on which build machines are currently on as to whether they saw the issue or got the buggy update. I still see PCs that haven't had the Anniversary Update yet!

Also many PCs have manually set IP/DNS, these wouldn't be affected.

But as it's a bug some see it some don't - MS were saying a Restart (or two) should recover things if the service (CDPSVC) doesn't crash.

I'm currently downloading today's fix: KB3206632

[s]Hmmm...[/s]

All of mine are latest build, all fully up to date, as are the ones at work. Entirely why I mentioned it. Plus, working here, you'd have thought we'd be getting at least a few calls relating to the problem, but so far, none...
Wed 14/12/16 at 16:49
"Are you sure?"
It all depends on which build machines are currently on as to whether they saw the issue or got the buggy update. I still see PCs that haven't had the Anniversary Update yet!

Also many PCs have manually set IP/DNS, these wouldn't be affected.

But as it's a bug some see it some don't - MS were saying a Restart (or two) should recover things if the service (CDPSVC) doesn't crash.

I'm currently downloading today's fix: KB3206632

[s]Hmmm...[/s]

Wed 14/12/16 at 16:09
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."

DL wrote:
Guess you didn't read this post then

Yup, saw it, read it, and as I said, we are not seeing a whole lot of issues here (so... just you then, posting on here...) and I haven't seen any at all (so none of my machines, none of our work machines, none of my family - you get the idea).

Thought I was fairly clear on that:-)
Tue 13/12/16 at 22:38
Regular
"Feather edged ..."

chasfh wrote:
Yup, saw roughly the same report a day or two ago on a different news feed, and our systems team circulated the details yesterday. It reads as if the majority should be at least seeing some problems, either temporarily or permanently, nevertheless, we actually don't seem to be seeing a whole lot of issues here, and I personally have not seen any at all.

Four machines and a tablet in my house, all updated fully, none with problems. Dozens of others around my family, also no issues (I'd know 'cos I always get a call!).

Beginning to think I am Mr. Lucky after all...

Guess you didn't read this post then
Tue 13/12/16 at 18:20
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."

Hmmm... wrote:
I'm still on catchup after a busy day, but it's made the BBC.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]

Yup, saw roughly the same report a day or two ago on a different news feed, and our systems team circulated the details yesterday. It reads as if the majority should be at least seeing some problems, either temporarily or permanently, nevertheless, we actually don't seem to be seeing a whole lot of issues here, and I personally have not seen any at all.

Four machines and a tablet in my house, all updated fully, none with problems. Dozens of others around my family, also no issues (I'd know 'cos I always get a call!).

Beginning to think I am Mr. Lucky after all...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.