GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"SSL Certificates for the free website service"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 02/08/16 at 10:44
Regular
Quick question: I know Freeola offers SSL certificates for VIP hosting, but does it offer them for the 'free website' thing which comes with Freeola broadband?

Thanks.
Tue 09/08/16 at 18:07
"Are you sure?"
Just read this new BBC article on the 27,000 XP PCs the Met Police have.

As I mentioned there are still LOTS out there!

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Thu 04/08/16 at 11:03
"Are you sure?"
Thanks Eccles, that sounds promising.

I'm no expert, but where I see people moving to HTTPS I sometimes come across issues with older browsers/OS depending on how SSL has been implemented.

Things are moving on as time goes by as PCs get replaced - but there are still a number of people using older systems so it's good to be able to accommodate them where possible if you are after getting all the visitors you can to your website. But I appreciate these types of visitors are getting less and less.

I wanted to look at a Freeola supplied SSL to check things. The HTTPS site I found in the Customer Site directory fails to display on Chrome/IE8 via XP. FF is fine.

A scan shows "SNI support is needed", from what I've read this isn't supported in IE8/Chrome on XP or early Android/iOS, so the visitor gets:

IE:
Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Chrome:
This site can’t provide a secure connection

xxx uses an unsupported protocol.
ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH
The client and server don't support a common SSL protocol version or cipher suite. This is likely to be caused when the server needs RC4, which is no longer considered secure.

I'm not 100% sure I'm looking at a Freeola hosted site as it looks like tracert works differently with SSL. The certificate shows as issued by COMODO and uses Cloudflare. CFs support page seems to suggest IE7 onwards (as you mention) and Chrome XP should be supported but has a few notes on this. But it's not working for my tests.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Wed 03/08/16 at 18:34
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
It's all in the pipeline. A range of SSL and web scan products. Now that IE6 is dead we can use SNI so no more.multi IPv4 addresses required (this was the main limiting factor before). We're already using Letsencrpt in some places ourselves but it is a low end solution and the automation is still a bit ropey.
Wed 03/08/16 at 12:48
"Are you sure?"
When someone's asked previously about using an external SSL the official reply was that it wasn't currently possible.

I see that Lets Encrypt, a free open system is getting popular. It would be nice to see something like this being made available to those that wanted it.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Tue 02/08/16 at 16:18
Regular
So is there no way to have a secure website under the standard hosting? Can I use external SLL certificates?
Tue 02/08/16 at 13:35
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
You are correct, currently the SSL certificates available on site are for use only with VIP Web Hosting.

However we are looking in to launching standalone SSL certificates in the near future, so that customers can purchase them from us to use as and where they wish.
Tue 02/08/16 at 12:16
"Are you sure?"
Good question!

Looking through Freeola's info they do mention VIP hosting. I just started a SSL purchase in MyFreeola to see what happens and that also mentioned adding VIP hosting etc. so it doesn't look as if it's available on standard hosting.

That's a shame, I hadn't realised that and was hoping to use it as some point.

PS. If anyone can link to a Freeola customer site using SSL/HTTPS it would be appreciated. I've found some HTTPS websites can have issues so would like to visit a site that's up and running to take a look. I've previously tried going through the Customer Sites directory but couldn't find one.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]

EDIT - Just had another look through the 'recently added' Customer Sites and found one! :¬)
Tue 02/08/16 at 10:44
Regular
Quick question: I know Freeola offers SSL certificates for VIP hosting, but does it offer them for the 'free website' thing which comes with Freeola broadband?

Thanks.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.