GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Web server configuration file"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 29/07/16 at 18:02
Regular
On my website (hosted through the free website service) I need to collect the hostname of the client visiting my webpage. I want to do this by using the PHP variable $_SERVER['REMOTE_HOST'].

However, PHP.net states that 'Your web server must be configured to create this variable. For example in Apache you'll need HostnameLookups On inside httpd.conf for it to exist.'.

I am completely stumped as to how to configure my web server. Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.
Fri 29/07/16 at 21:47
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
To see the privileges you have you can run the SQL:

SHOW GRANTS FOR <username>.

You cannot change these.
Fri 29/07/16 at 21:03
Regular
Hmmm... wrote:
Hi and welcome to the forums.
I've been following you on stackoverflow so see you've got most of the answers :¬)

FWIW I'm no php expert but have created this page which captures various visitor info and shows some of the data that's available with Freeola's setup: surfing dna

[s]Hmmm...[/s]

Ah yes, well noticed :) Yes stack overflow did answer most of what I needed.

Thanks for the link, I'll see whether it can be of use.

Can I ask one slightly off-topic question about the Freeola provided MySQL database? In PHPmyadmin certain actions are prohibited because I don't have the right 'priveliges' for them, such as creating databases or users. How can I see what privileges I have and can I change them?
Fri 29/07/16 at 19:21
"Are you sure?"
Hi and welcome to the forums.
I've been following you on stackoverflow so see you've got most of the answers :¬)

FWIW I'm no php expert but have created this page which captures various visitor info and shows some of the data that's available with Freeola's setup: surfing dna

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Fri 29/07/16 at 18:02
Regular
On my website (hosted through the free website service) I need to collect the hostname of the client visiting my webpage. I want to do this by using the PHP variable $_SERVER['REMOTE_HOST'].

However, PHP.net states that 'Your web server must be configured to create this variable. For example in Apache you'll need HostnameLookups On inside httpd.conf for it to exist.'.

I am completely stumped as to how to configure my web server. Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.