GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Mario & Sonic at the Olympics (Wii)"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games'.
Sat 22/12/07 at 15:47
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Finally Nintendo have released another Wii game capable of offering the same kind of multiplayer enjoyment as Wii sports.
Lets be honest – the Wii for most is all about multiplayer fun and in that department Wii sports has always been the best and very few have come anywhere close to being as much fun for groups of people to play.

Mario and Sonic at the Olympic games could change that, containing around 24 mini sports events all based on real Olympic events it already beats Wii sports hands down in the number of playable events.
With events ranging from classic track & Field events such as the 100m sprint and high jump to others like archery, trampolining and table tennis there is plenty to choose. The Wii remote and nunchuck are used for most events – you much franticly shake the remotes as fast as you can to build up speed in the sprint events or perform some rather complicated button presses on events like the trampoline.

The events are good fun to play and quite varied, some work well abut sadly the controls let some of the events down in a big way. Table tennis is pants and events like the tripple jump and trampolining require very accurate controlling or you'll totally mess up and fail miserably.
To start off your limited to the number of events you can compete in both singly and in the multiplayer modes – to unlock the others you'll need to complete various circuits in the single player game. This can be quite annoying if you've bought this game purely for the multiplayer side of things as you'll need to spend a few hours unlocking everything on your own first.
Also as you progress in the single player game things get a good bit harder – something young children are likely to struggle with.

The graphics look nice and some of the character animations are great. The sounds however start to get very repetitive and annoying – just as well you might struggle to hear them over the sounds of your friends laughing.

For each event you can select which character to use, included are some well known Mario and Sonic related characters such as Luigi, Wario, Yoshi, Peach, Knuckles and Tails and some that I've never seen or heard off before. You can also use your Mii's if you'd rather.
The multiplayer side of things supports 4 players – so you'll need at least 4 remotes for the likes of the 100m sprint event – failing that you'll still get plenty of enjoyment with 2 remotes and 2 nunchucks. It's the multiplayer aspect that shines through and definitely takes the gold for multiplayer enjoyment. Watching your mates or family shaking the remotes franticly is a great laugh and after a few hours of playing everyone will end up with sore arms but huge smiles on their faces.

There are a few small flaws with the controls for some events and also some of the events themselves are weak additions that really could have been a lot better, that being said though it's still one of the best Wii games around at the moment.

If you're after another Wii game that's great for playing with friends and family of all ages then you'll struggle to do better than Mario & Sonic at the Olympics. It has the potential to be as good as, if not better than Wii sports and will provide many hours of enjoyment – especially at this time of year.
If you're after a decent single player game then you may want to look elsewhere, it's fun to play through on your own but becomes far more special as a multiplayer game.

Easily one of the best wii games I've played since the Wii's release and I look forward to a good few nights around Christmas playing this with family and friends.

8/10

Merry Christmas Everyone and Happy Gaming.
Sat 10/01/09 at 02:47
I love this game cuz its alot of fun the events that i love are trampoline, indivual epee, track; 100m, aquatics, 100 freestyle, and archery
Sat 29/12/07 at 14:40
Regular
"Mooching around"
Yeah :) Some of the events just are not made for the younger child, and I still really struggle with any event that has jumping involved.

Who's idiotic idea was it that if you try to jump too much you barely jump at all! Trying to get the right power in your jump just annoys me.

Other than that, a hilarious game :)
Thu 27/12/07 at 08:08
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
It does feel a bit like it's just been added for that kind of reason.

Had a great laugh playing this on Christmas day - was the older family members that were winning most events. :0)
Wed 26/12/07 at 20:31
Regular
"Mooching around"
Lol @ the Dream games... Advertising for Mario Kart much?
Sat 22/12/07 at 21:46
Regular
"Mooching around"
My mum bought this for my sister (and probably a little for herself too). From the sounds of it, seems like we'll be having a good laugh this Christmas
Sat 22/12/07 at 15:47
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Finally Nintendo have released another Wii game capable of offering the same kind of multiplayer enjoyment as Wii sports.
Lets be honest – the Wii for most is all about multiplayer fun and in that department Wii sports has always been the best and very few have come anywhere close to being as much fun for groups of people to play.

Mario and Sonic at the Olympic games could change that, containing around 24 mini sports events all based on real Olympic events it already beats Wii sports hands down in the number of playable events.
With events ranging from classic track & Field events such as the 100m sprint and high jump to others like archery, trampolining and table tennis there is plenty to choose. The Wii remote and nunchuck are used for most events – you much franticly shake the remotes as fast as you can to build up speed in the sprint events or perform some rather complicated button presses on events like the trampoline.

The events are good fun to play and quite varied, some work well abut sadly the controls let some of the events down in a big way. Table tennis is pants and events like the tripple jump and trampolining require very accurate controlling or you'll totally mess up and fail miserably.
To start off your limited to the number of events you can compete in both singly and in the multiplayer modes – to unlock the others you'll need to complete various circuits in the single player game. This can be quite annoying if you've bought this game purely for the multiplayer side of things as you'll need to spend a few hours unlocking everything on your own first.
Also as you progress in the single player game things get a good bit harder – something young children are likely to struggle with.

The graphics look nice and some of the character animations are great. The sounds however start to get very repetitive and annoying – just as well you might struggle to hear them over the sounds of your friends laughing.

For each event you can select which character to use, included are some well known Mario and Sonic related characters such as Luigi, Wario, Yoshi, Peach, Knuckles and Tails and some that I've never seen or heard off before. You can also use your Mii's if you'd rather.
The multiplayer side of things supports 4 players – so you'll need at least 4 remotes for the likes of the 100m sprint event – failing that you'll still get plenty of enjoyment with 2 remotes and 2 nunchucks. It's the multiplayer aspect that shines through and definitely takes the gold for multiplayer enjoyment. Watching your mates or family shaking the remotes franticly is a great laugh and after a few hours of playing everyone will end up with sore arms but huge smiles on their faces.

There are a few small flaws with the controls for some events and also some of the events themselves are weak additions that really could have been a lot better, that being said though it's still one of the best Wii games around at the moment.

If you're after another Wii game that's great for playing with friends and family of all ages then you'll struggle to do better than Mario & Sonic at the Olympics. It has the potential to be as good as, if not better than Wii sports and will provide many hours of enjoyment – especially at this time of year.
If you're after a decent single player game then you may want to look elsewhere, it's fun to play through on your own but becomes far more special as a multiplayer game.

Easily one of the best wii games I've played since the Wii's release and I look forward to a good few nights around Christmas playing this with family and friends.

8/10

Merry Christmas Everyone and Happy Gaming.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.